Page 23 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

I don't know what's wrong with partition magic, but i also always had problems with him.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well it's not only PM. The same thing can happen with Acronis Partition Manager and maybe others. I'm not saying that the end result using these programs will not mount the partitions. I'm saying there is a good chance that someting bad will happen and you don't even know it. Windows and the partition application doesn't report the problen until you try to mount it in Linux and winder why it's not mounting .

Beans

Personally I've never trusted a Linux partitioner with my Windows drive. Since they don't reliably write to NTFS, how can you trust it to resize an NTFS partition? And from my experiences with Mandrake, before they changed their name, I don't fully trust Alpha/Beta opensource software with such crucial tasks. That said, I do use NTFS-3g now, though not on my main machine. At least that was my experience with the extremely buggy nature of Mandrake. Upgrading had a tendency to screw up, so a fresh install was usually necessary. Last time I installed Mandrake was v9.2; it crashed during installation, twice at the same point, when I told it not to make a boot floppy. It took the MBR with it. Had to go to an internet cafe and download a utility called Bootpart to restore it. Don't know enough of DOS. Partition Magic and QParted both refuse to show the partition layout on the disk now, though they work fine. And when Mandrake 10.0 came out, I read the forums first carefully, and found quite a few people had got their partition tables borked, due to a rounding bug affecting the new 2.6 kernel and parted. So I lost my nerve installing Linux on that machine. Now I have an old 2nd-hand machine just for testing. But I won't entrust a Windows partition with either QParted or GParted, both Alpha softwares. Not that I partition a lot, but I've never had a problem with Partition Magic or Acronic True Image. I just installed a new larger disk on this machine, and resized all the partitions with the latter (True Image), then added partitions with the former (PM). Neither OS had a problem, thankfully. But any time you partition, you run a risk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My friend also used partition magic and he doesn't have any problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

@ msandersen: despite what it may look like, resizing an NTFS partition is more reliable then writting to it! Yes, seems strange, but it is a completely unrelated process and tool. (ntfsresize)

Also I had less problems with GParted (read: none!) than with PartitionMagic (where it would screw up my linux partitions). And I did resize, backup and clone ([ntfsclone) an unbootable damaged NTFS system partition, and finally fixing it (chkdsk), all with the tools provided on linux (except chkdsk, obviously).

My current Ubuntu system is also installed in a resized space from a NTFS partition, all from linux.

That said, I want to add that I trust more on opensource at any time, than in closed-source utils for this kind of things. The so called beta you mention, is because opensource is more thoroughly scrutinized before getting to a stable version than closed-source counterparts can ever be (because of deadlines, money issues, less man-power to check all bugs for differente environments, etc).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

whoaaa! a lot of reading the Ntfs-3g works fine for me, but i was searching for solution how make to access via nautilus to all ntfs partition? i know the problem is (i have 3 partition's and only one is visible via nautilus) but after 23 pages of topic does somebody know solution for this problem or maybe some workaround?

But congratulations for everybody

Beans

I have the same problem. Only the first ntfs partition is visible now, even only one desktop shortcut is left . To access the second ntfs partition I have to browse to /media/hda5/...

Beans

The expanation to that problem has been said a million time, it's in the common problem at the end of the first post.
    There is for the moment nothing to do against that. Your partition is mounted, but because all partition are mount on /dev/fuse (fuse manage those partition) gnome see only one and show only one one the destop & on place (more /etc/mtab will show you this problem).
    It's a fuse related problem, and for the moment there is no way to fix this 'bug' (it's not really a bug in fact).
    Lot's of workearound:
    - You can create a bookmark in nautilus on your mount point for all your partition, in that way, you will have it in place.
    - You can mount your partition in a directory on your home for a better access, or easier, simply create a symlink of your mount point on your home.
    - You can create a launcher in your desktop which will launch 'nautilus <your mount point>

Hope that will help

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I just compiled the latest kernel from source (2.6.17.7) and now only the first drive listed in my /etc/fstab gets mounted properly. For the rest it says:

Code:
    Error opening partition device: Device or resource busy
    Failed to startup volume: Device or resource busy
    Couldn't mount device '/dev/hdb1': Device or resource busy
    Mount failed.
    Error opening partition device: Device or resource busy
    Failed to startup volume: Device or resource busy
    Couldn't mount device '/dev/sdb1': Device or resource busy
    Mount failed.
    fuse is listed as being active when i do an 'lsmod'. And modprobe also shows that fuse is compiled (this makes sense since the first partition is in fact getting mounted)

Code:
    saracen@veritas:~$ modprobe -l fuse
    /lib/modules/2.6.17.7/kernel/fs/fuse/fuse.ko
    I should say that it works fine (all drives get mounted) with kernel 2.6.15-26 (latest in the dapper repos)

Any ideas?
    Last edited by saracen; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

Let see your /etc/mtab & your /etc/fstab. If it says it's busy, there is probably a reason
    Last edited by givré; August 2nd, 2006 at 05:29 PM.

Page 23 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast