Page 187 of 203 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,870 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Sorry, very new to linux...
    I am running Feisty on amd64.
    What instructions do I follow to compile? Edgy or Dapper?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am having some issues iwth ntfs-3g. I have been using this for quite long now and everything works fine except for one thing. some time when I delete the files permanently they get renamed to

.fuse_hiddenXXXXXXX where XXXX stands for some number.

After this happend no matter what I do I cannot get rid of these files. every time I delete them they assume some other number but size remains the same.

I can go to terminal and clear them using echo but I am not able to delete them any way.

Any idea what this could be...???
    Powered by Ubuntu, Driven by Linux

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prince_niceguy View Post
    I am having some issues iwth ntfs-3g. I have been using this for quite long now and everything works fine except for one thing. some time when I delete the files permanently they get renamed to

.fuse_hiddenXXXXXXX where XXXX stands for some number.

After this happend no matter what I do I cannot get rid of these files. every time I delete them they assume some other number but size remains the same.

I can go to terminal and clear them using echo but I am not able to delete them any way.

Any idea what this could be...???
    The files/directories are in use by some software hence they can't be removed immediately. As soon as you exit those softwares or reboot then these .fuse_hiddenXXXXX files will be gone/deleted automatically.

Beans

I am really at my wits end. I am new to Ubuntu and been having a great experience with it, until I tried to get my External USB drive to work with mac and XP. First of all it is not working with either. I it keeps bringing up the password box in Windows and goes no where, and in mac it says alias not found.

I followed your instructions to the tee. trying both manual and automatic. It did not work. My drive is formatted NTFS via a windows XP machine. I also try and set the permissions under the drives properties and it just brings them back to read-only. I have setup shares for both SMB and Unix in Administration - Shared Folders. It seems weird to me that I cannot change its permissions from read-only.

It also says in the properties of the drive that owner is unknown.

Please help, if I cannot get this drive shared I am going to have to switch back to some other OS that I do not want to.

Any other Ideas, I think i am not understanding something or not doing something correctly, but I have followed all the instructions to the TEE.

Michael

Beans

Thanks for the help.

Beans

Unhappy Have a prob with NTFS on Dapper

Hi there.

Recently - upon some messy tries with Feisty and Gutsy Tribe 5 - I've switched back to Dapper (ver. 6.06.1) with server kernel.
    Currently I've installed NTFS-3G with read/write support upon some howtos instructions. Initially it was complaining about some dependencies, but I've resolved them by installing the needed packages from Feisty.
    Now everything works well with the NTFS partition. It mounts automatically at boot as is stated in my FSTAB. I can read and write it perfectly, but Nautilus didn't shows it up on its sidebar or on the desktop. Thus I can't browse it directly, and this issue bothers me. Here are some shots about relevant issues related to this:

Can anyone help me with a workaround on this, please?

Apologise if this is an off, I didn't will to be that. If so, plz a moderator to move it to the right place. Thx.
    Yeah!!! Ubuntu Linux rocks! =D>

Beans

I have a My Book drive that Ubuntu automatically mounts at boot but that I can't write to because it is read only. I installed NTFS-config and verified that 3G is on my system. Config shows up in the menu as expected. When I click on it, I only get one dialog box that asks me to check the box if I want to give write permission to external drives. When I click OK, the box goes away. I rebooted, unmounted the drive and then remounted it. No change in permissions.

You know, to be honest, I could never really determine what this drive is called in the system. I tried some terminal stuff I found on the forum, calling the drive /dev/sdb1 and /media/My Book. Neither name seemed to cause anything to happen. I have cd'ed, chown'ed and ch something else. The answer seems to be to disconnect the drive from Linux and reconnect it to Windows, where I can use it.

I studied the HOWTO thoroughly. I am no longer dual booting. My main computer is Windows XP. It is happily networked to my secondary computer, which runs Ubuntu. My kid's Windows computer is the third box on our home network. I had hoped to backup her ITunes music to the external hard drive attached to Linux. The network sees it, it just has the wrong permissions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the ntfs-3g (easy & safe method)

First I tried the automatic method. When the dialoig box came up the external device box was checked. The system did not allow me to check the internal checkbox.

I then followed your manual step by step instructions and it worked find. There are 2 issues.

Issue 1:
    Before I did this procedure I could mount and unmount the drive called Disk1 Vol2 Fotos without a problem. I had to add a new line in the fstab file and I named the mount point Fotos_V. At the end of your instructions I mounted the drive with the sudo command. It appeared on my desktop as Disk1 Vol2 Fotos and not the expected Fotos_V.
    Do you have any idea why.

Issue 2:
    Now I can no longer unmount or remount the drive as I could before. It seems only the root can do that.
    Can you shed some light on that as well?

Thanks

Now when using gimp I can read and write to that local ntfs drive.

But when using gimp I cannot open anything on the Windows Server. Gimp cannot see the mounted share volumes on the server. However Open Office can. I have samba installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the ntfs-3g (easy & safe method)

I've got a problem with installation (thus not tested the actual thing yet...)

When executing "sudo apt-get upgrade" I get an warning that the packages could NOIT be authenticated...

I DID add the gpg key as instructed in givre's first topic...

Comments?
    Last edited by jdackle; September 18th, 2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Boldifying...
    jdackle ~ Linux Counter user # 274021 ~ Ubuntu Counter User # 17154

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for the great article!
    Simple and it works great!
    /(bb|[^b]{2})/
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0 AND dumbass = FALSE;

Page 187 of 203 FirstFirst ... 87137177185186187188189197 ... LastLast