Page 174 of 203 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

just reporting that ntfs-3g is in the repos for gutsy and works properly !

Beans

Hello,

first of all, thanks for the guide, I'm fairly certain I followed it to the T and its still not working:
    1) I am running Fiesty so I don't need to upgrade my repositories
    2) I did the apt-key part, as well as updated and upgraded my system
    3) Did sudo apt-get install and it went without a hitch

Now, heres where I'm running into a problem (I'm attempting the automatic configuration by the way), when I attempt to run the program (gksu ntfs-config) I get the following error:
    (gksu:10042): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

I consider myself fairly well versed in computers, but am still a bit lost with Linux, I'm guessing this is an error of missing packages of some sort? I just got Ubuntu reinstalled today and am in the process of getting everything working. Thanks.

On a side note, I have attempted to upgrade or otherwise reinstall gsku but apt-get keeps kicking back that its the most up to date version.

<edit>
    Nevermind, I was able to fix it, just had to launch the config panel from the applications menu

Thanks for the tutorial!
    Last edited by reddeth; June 15th, 2007 at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hi!
    I am on feisty, and really excited that I can erase things from my drive now(after some searching in this thread)!!!

Thank you very very much!
    Last edited by themis; June 15th, 2007 at 12:56 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Is there any reason why when deleting a file from the NTFS drive the file doesn't show up in the trash

@pt123 when view the contents of the drive try CTRL+H it will show you all hidden folders and files. All files and folders that are hidden start with a '.' in their name. When you delete something on these external drives it will create a .trash folder in the root folder of that drive, you will need to either delete that folder or right-click and empty trash

Beans
    Distro

I know its there, but I was wondering why it doesn't show up in the general Trash folder like Fat32 & Ext3 drives.

Beans
    Distro

I don't shut down. I hibernate. Can I force mount? Is there any modification made to a partition just to indicate that it is already mounted? I don't see the problem. Can't it leave that alone and ignore it? I don't want to throw away my windows session just to mount with write access in Ubuntu.

@pt123 - the reason for this is that it gives you that last chance like your regular trash folder to restore any items you want.
    Hypothetical situation: Lets say you have a 500gb external ext3 formatted harddrive, and you wanted to delete half of its contents (250gb), but your local permanently mounted harddrive is only 80gb... see the problem here? By moving it to a separate hidden trash folder for each device, this allows space to be conserved economically and allows that same trash folder to be carried across distro and other computers. For instance: Lets say you trashed the source code to firefox and your installing Linux from scratch and now you need to surf the web... oh crap, you don't have a web browser, but wait! you can still recover it, bc although it is in the trash, it is still on the drive itself. hope that helps
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    @ethana2 - im not sure what your trying to do, please tell me more about the problem. Are you mounting an external device or flash drive, then hibernating, and expecting it to still be mounted?
    you can force a mount with:
    Code:
    mount -vst fstype /dev/location /label -o default
    where fstype is the filesystem type, whether it be vfat (usb flash drives), ext3, fat32, ntfs, etc
    location is like /dev/sda or /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb etc (whatever location its at)
    label is whatever folder you would like to mount it in like /cd or /media/usb or /media/disk etc

also for more details about mount, check out
    Code:
    man mount
    to unmount manually, "umount /dev/device"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by platinummonkey View Post
    @pt123 - the reason for this is that it gives you that last chance like your regular trash folder to restore any items you want.
    Hypothetical situation: Lets say you have a 500gb exter
    You are misunderstanding what I am saying. e.g. when you a have separate fat32 or ext3 physical drive to where your home partition is mounted and you delete files from them, (I know) the files are placed .trash-username folder in those drives. But the KEY point is that they are displayed in the universal trash(garbage bin)<b> trash:</b> in Nautilius. i.e. it shows all your trash located on the multiple drives in one Nautilus window. But this doesn't happen for NTFS drives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi Givre et al,

I'm pretty much still a newbie to Ubuntu and to Linux. I have a Western Digital 80 GB External Hard Drive which I'm trying to use. I've been able to access its files in the past, but now it, along with all of my other USB devices, is giving me a message which says "unable to mount selected volume;" I cannot even read the files now. I noticed this happened after I used Automatix to download ntfs-3g and mount my devices. I've since uninstalled the utility and chose for Automatix to unmount the device to its previous state, thinking that that would help, but it didn't.

I'm going through your guide at the moment (thanks for all the detail, by the way), but I'm stuck at about the half-way point of step 3 of the manual configuration. When I try to configure the ntfs partition in /etc/fstab, I get this message:

atm@atm-laptop:~$ gksu gedit /etc/fstab

(gedit:7249): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While connecting to session manager:
    Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed.

Could you tell me what this means? Where do I go from here?

Another question.... when you say:
    (of course replace <your partition> & <mount point> by your configuration), how do I know my mount point? Is this something which I already have, or something that I need to create? If so, how do I create it? Is there something in this message:

atm@atm-laptop:~$ sudo fdisk -l | grep NTFS
    /dev/sda1 1 9729 78148161 7 HPFS/NTFS

which I'm not aware of?

I really appreciate any help! I'm really looking forward to using my USB devices again.

Page 174 of 203 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184 ... LastLast