Page 162 of 203 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

did you try to shut down your computer? try to shut it down, wait 5 mins, then restart. sounds like something has gone haywire with hotplug and pmount maybe? i believe that's what is used to mount stuff on the fly when you plug it in. also, make sure you look at the contents of this command

dmesg

for any reference to external drives, they are normally sda, sdb, sdc because usb is emulated as scsi. (s for scsi. Let us know. did you try to remove AND purge everything related to ntfs, sometimes the remove leaves settings and what not behind and a purge should clear it out. then just follow the guide from the begining. also, not sure if it matters but don't have your drive plugged in when installing the ntfs write support stuff. only try it after you've done a full install following the guide, then do a restart, and then plug in your drive. good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the ntfs-3g (easy & safe method)

Adding sources, installation and automatic configuration worked perfect! Thanks! The only difference is that it doesn't show up in my 'Computer' folder, but I haven't restarted yet so I'm sure it'll be fixed when I restart. Great tutorial!
    -----------------------------
    I ubuntu, therefore I am.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

well, i had an english paper due, so i couldn't not use my flashdrive, so i set the live cd to install while i was at class. now i'm on a fresh copy of edgy.

i used getautomatix to install the ntfs-3g and fat32 driver (which i used to store my data on the 20GB windows disc while i was clean installing ubuntu). my external hard drive should be shut down properly so i won't have that problem anymore. when i went to try and use ntfs-config to add external hard drives it wouldn't accept the command.

so i tried to install ntfs-3g following this thread's directions and it was fine until:

seth@seth-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install ntfs-config
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
    or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
    the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
    that package should be filed.
    The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ntfs-config: Depends: libdbus-1-2 (>= 0.60) but it is not installable
    E: Broken packages
    what should i do about this? how do i install libdbus something? it looks like one of those packages ubuntu suggests updating, but i installed all of the automatic updates without problem... thanks, seth.

will feisty have ntfs capabilities built in? they say it's supposed to be the alternative to vista.

Beans
    Distro

try to fix the broken package. you can do it thru synaptic and also cli but I forget, something about the -F option which forces it to fix itself i think. did you check with givre's? he's the one who owns the repos. good luck

Beans

Yesterday I notiiced that in my Feisty, the ntfs failed to read a 1GB file from an external NTFS storage two times. It's a known bug?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by trapanator View Post
    Yesterday I notiiced that in my Feisty, the ntfs failed to read a 1GB file from an external NTFS storage two times. It's a known bug?
    This is very common, if one has disk media errors, uncorrectable hardware errors, for instance bad sectors. This is file system independent and the typical error message is "I/O error". If the error happens randomly for the same file then it also signs a hardware or kernel driver error.
    Last edited by szaka; April 19th, 2007 at 08:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hi, i installed ntfs-3g via synaptic, i did the same things at tutorial: but now i can't even read my ntfs drives (i have one partition on same drive, and another two at different internal harddrive.

my fstab is here:
    # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # /dev/hda2
    UUID=0761e2cd-1c38-48a9-8959-447ed765fe8c / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # /dev/hda1
    /media/hda1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=tr_TR.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hdb1
    /media/hdb1 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=tr_TR.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hdb5
    /media/hdb5 ntfs-3g defaults,locale=tr_TR.utf8 0 0
    # /dev/hda3
    UUID=ac72e040-fba6-40df-827c-eaa9f6ddd31d none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/hdd /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/hdc /media/cdrom1 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
    /dev/ /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
    when i clicked on these partitions in /media i can not see anything. i restarted the system twice as well..
    any idea to come over?
    Last edited by diskotek; April 19th, 2007 at 06:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

what does your dmesg report? what if you try to mount it manually? If you type in sudo mount -a, does an error message appear? Try to change your fstab to just ntfs again and see if you can at least read them only, if so, then you know your partitions and data is ok, just an issue with ntfs-3g install. HAve you checked any logs? Did you get any errors?

It might end up just being the common error about having an unclean journal. It happened to me as well. You'll have to take them and insert them into a Windows Computer, start up windows, then shut it down properly. I have an adapter which converts ide and sata drives to usb. I just used that to connect them to my Winbloz XP Pro Install and then safely removed them using icon in lower right. OR you could try the ntfsfix or forcing them to mount.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

thank you for the answer, i've already find my fstab backup and replace it... it works well now. i didnt had any errors, when i wrote "mount -a" . i will uninstall it and than install it via automatix.. but i've already got bored with rebooting etc..i'll try it tomorrow. thank you for your answer

edit: i couldnt downlad it via synaptic there is problem with connecting repo'S
    Last edited by diskotek; April 19th, 2007 at 06:53 PM.

Beans

Thanks a million givré.

I followed the instructions step by step. After restarted, all my Windows partitions mounted on my Ubuntu desktop. This works nicely.

Great to have a guru like you to help out a Linux newbie like me.

Thanks again.

MacPC.

Page 162 of 203 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164172 ... LastLast