Page 113 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,130 of 2026

Thread: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using the ntfs-3g (easy & safe method)

Quote Originally Posted by kschelde View Post
    I tried the force option before, eventhougt i got error on ntfsfix, and that didn't help.
    I just tried with read-only this time, and no luck with that either.
    Thank you very much for trying to help me. *S* I'm going on chistmas-holiday now. and I think that I try to reinstall when I return between Chistmas and new year.
    Merry Christmas. *S*
    I gave up, but a reinstall would surely not be necessary.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans

Re: HOWTO: NTFS with read/write support using ntfs-3g (easy method)

Hello everybody,

This is my Christmas present for every ntfs-3g users.

As some of you probably now already, the latest version of ntfs-3g require a new fuse kernel module, that would be tricky to upgrade on my repo. That's why there wasn't any ntfs-3g update since a long time. But i think that now a solution is on track. But before pushing it to the owl world, i'd like to have some feedback on the method, and that's why i create a testing channel. So let's start.

HOW TO INSTALL THE LATEST LATEST NTFS-3G (for edgy only)

1. First edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to add one of this repo (or replace any old one with this one):
    Code:
    deb http://flomertens.keo.in/ubuntu edgy main main-all testing
    deb http://givre.cabspace.com/ubuntu edgy main main-all testing
    2. Upgrade and install the needed package :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g fuse-source module-assistant
    3. Now this is the important step. You need to build yourself the new fuse kernel. Don't worry, this is really easy :
    Code:
    sudo module-assistant auto-install fuse
    module-assistant will automatically build & install the new fuse module for your running kernel.
    Remember that this module will only work for your current kernel. For each upgrade of the kernel, you'll have to redo this step again, or ntfs-3g will not work.

4. if it's not already done, configure your NTFS partition as mention in step 3 of the 1st post.

5. Testing result :
    Since it's a testing repo, i'd like to have some feedback of how it works for you. Especialy, i'd like to know :
    - If there were no error during the installation/upgrade. Especialy during the module-assistant step.
    - If you get notify by the installer of the need of a new fuse module both via the terminal, and via a notification icone. This is really important for upgrade.
    - Obviously, if ntfs-3g work after a reboot.

Thanks For the testing.

Flo
    Last edited by givré; December 22nd, 2006 at 02:49 PM.
    WARNING : Post with explicit contents
    Join to "STOP monolithic all-in-one unmanageable application"
    The wiki is your friend https://help.ubuntu.com/community/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by givré View Post
    This is my Christmas present for every ntfs-3g users.
    And what nice a present, one would say! It's most liberating to be able to write to an external HDD from any OS. Thank you so much! Great job!

I followed the steps to install new version on my Edgy system, and immediately started downloading a big torrent. Fifteen minutes later it's still running, no sign of a failure yet.

I can conclude, the memory-eating bug is gone. If there's anything else problematic I encounter, I'll let you know.

Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

OK I am having no luck at all with NTFS-3G, I am sure it is a great driver but right now it is not for me and now I can't even read ntfs, is there a way I can go back to ntfs read only that is loaded under default ubuntu 6.06 LTS so I can get to my windows partition....I have tried everything I can think of so far, I will keep trying I guess any help would be greatly appreciated

edit: finally got ntfs-3g to work but only in read only mounting it in my home directory, I had to install FUSE 2.6.0 and then I was able to mount Read Only
    Last edited by Zahrber; December 23rd, 2006 at 08:31 AM.
    Installed Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy Badger" (26 Dec 2005) Upgraded to Dapper 6.06 LTS (21 Dec 2006)
    on a IBM R31 Laptop 1.2 Celeron / 256 MB PC100 SDRAM / 60 GB Fujitsu (5400rpm) HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank you so much for this software and guide. I was struggling for a while to find a way of auto mounting my USB drive with NTFS-3G and this sorted it out. All I needed was "pmount" from your repo.

It's just like using the external drive on Windows now... except far better of course

Thanks again.
    Last edited by gh0st; December 23rd, 2006 at 06:45 PM.
    "I don't know Karate but I know Kerrraaazzzy!!" - James Brown - The Payback 8)
    Registered Ubuntu User - #11654
    Registered Linux User - #441527

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Perrrrrfect timing on my part! The only time i've been on this board in more than a month, i get a new ntfs3g update. So, on to my results.

- the upgrade from the new repo was flawless
    - i did get notified that "fuse module don't support fuseblk" before running the module assistant.

Setting up ntfs-3g (0.20061218-BETA-1) ...
    ================================================== ===
    Warning : Your current fuse module don't support fuseblk which is needed to run latest version of ntfs-3g. You'll need to build new fuse kernel module. It is provide in the fuse-source package.

Please, have a look at /usr/share/doc/ntfs-3g/README.debian to know how to do so.

Thanks.
    After module-assistant finished doing its thaaang, it's all well and good after reboot.

Happy Holidays everyone!
    Shuttle XPC | Intel 865g | P4 3.2Ghz | ATI 9800 Pro | Corsair 1.5gig DDR | Ubuntu 6.10
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PowerBook G4 15" Al | 1.33 GHz | 1 GB DDR PC2700 | ATI 9700 | Ubuntu 7.04

Beans

Great!, thanks alot ! exactly what i needed!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    Perrrrrfect timing on my part! The only time i've been on this board in more than a month, i get a new ntfs3g update. So, on to my results.

- the upgrade from the new repo was flawless
    - i did get notified that "fuse module don't support fuseblk" before running the module assistant.

After module-assistant finished doing its thaaang, it's all well and good after reboot.

Happy Holidays everyone!
    I got this notification, too... When I tried following the directions in readme.debian, I got these results:

Code:
    ~$ sudo apt-get fuse-source
    Password:
    E: Invalid operation fuse-source
    I went back to your #1122 post and retried steps 2 & 3 it basically told me that everything was already installed... I rebooted but did NOT get that notification window again.

Is there a way to tell if everything is installed and working OK? I successfully copied a 700 MB folder to one of my NTFS drives, but I have no idea if that's a good test of anything...
    "He who lives by the penguin, dies by the penguin."
    (at least 'till he figures out what he's doing!)

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

The good news is that using Lightning between WinXP and Linux no longer corrupts my NTFS file system. (The bad news is, it still doesn't actually work... but that's not likely to be something ntfs-3g can fix, unfortunately!)

Seasons Greetings one and all.

PS: I had to bounce Ubuntu through the instructions but it went pretty much okay. Needed a "module-assistant prepare" or something...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    I got this notification, too... When I tried following the directions in readme.debian, I got these results:

Code:
    ~$ sudo apt-get fuse-source
    Password:
    E: Invalid operation fuse-source
    Where does it say to do "apt-get fuse-source"? You've chosen to miss out part of the instructions.

Page 113 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123163 ... LastLast