Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trick from "Enemy of the State" actually works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Trick from "Enemy of the State" actually works.

Not sure how many have saw the movie but at one point Gene Hackman puts Wil Smith's cell phone in a potato chip bag, the kind that are foil lined, to stop the signal from getting out to the NSA guys that were tracking them. Well, I had a chip bag from dinner tonight(Subway sandwich and a bag of chips) and thought I'd try it just for grins. I put my cell phone in a small paper bag to keep the chip oil from getting all over it then put it into the chip bag and rolled up the bag. Then I ask my wife to call my phone and guess what, no signal got through. She could hear my phone ring in her phone but my phone in the chip bag never rang which means the signal was block. Then, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke we put her phone into the bag and I called it and same result, her phone didn't get signal and didn't ring. Totally awesome, and I guess you could use it as a storage bag against EMP too. Anyway, just had to pass that along to ya'll.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trick from "Enemy of the State" actually works.

Strange that you didn't get a busy signal or a message that the other phone was switched off if it was completely of the grid...?

Come shoot the breeze with us on the Ubuntu Forums IRC channel - #ubuntuforums

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Is this really that surprising? Foil reflects all sorts of things. This is why space blankets are made of foil and why people who are scared of alien and government mind intrusion wear tin foil hats. Its also why the chip bag is made of foil...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

So, basically what you're saying is you used a chip bag to do the same thing as "airplane mode". Or the off button. You don't really need to improvise a Faraday cage if you can just turn the transceiver off.

However, always fun to find some movie nonsense that's actually got a grain of truth to it. Doing this kind of stuff has built a career for the Mythbusters.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I thought you were referring to the part were they call the local police to report the NSA surveillance van.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The potato chip bag simply clues the NSA into what your eating habits are. They probably already know that. Since the bag was oily, (regular chips and not baked), your health care premiums will mysteriously go up.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

I actually think it does more then just put the phone into "airplane mode". Besides, just turning off the phone isn't any help for being tracked by GPS, as long as the phone still has the battery in it there's power going to parts of it like the GPS unit so you can still be tracked. I'd like to see more tests done to see if it actually is being blocked entirely from the outside world or if it is just "airplane mode" as you suggest. Either way I thought it was kind of cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Interesting. Enemy of the State is an awesome movie. I have the DVD.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    I actually think it does more then just put the phone into "airplane mode".
    Airplane mode stops the handset from transmitting altogether. It's intended to prevent a handset from interfering with aircraft systems.

Besides, just turning off the phone isn't any help for being tracked by GPS, as long as the phone still has the battery in it there's power going to parts of it like the GPS unit so you can still be tracked.
    You can't be "tracked" by GPS. It's a passive system. To get a fix your phone just receives data that the GPS satellites broadcast, it doesn't need to transmit anything back to do that. Remember GPS is a military system, it would be sod all use to them if it gave away your position and got you mortared every time you used it.

What could get you tracked on a cellular phone is the fact that it always registers with the nearest cell in the network. So your phone company has records that can show roughly where you've been. That's only true if the phone is switched on and isn't in airplane mode (or inside a crisp packet, as you've proven )
    Last edited by Paqman; July 11th, 2013 at 10:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Airplane mode stops the handset from transmitting altogether. It's intended to prevent a handset from interfering with aircraft systems.
    Which is actually a bunch of bunk because all the systems on an airplane are shielded from stuff like that. They just want you to use their seat back phones so they can charge you the Big Bucks to make a call.
    If cell phones or any other device that could transmit or receive were a problem then I'm sure a terrorist would just place a call to mess up the planes systems and bring it down but you just don't see that taking place, now do ya'.
    Even more to the point if it could happen I'm sure they'd ban phones from flights, heck, I can't even take my multi-tool on the plane because it has a serrated blade(that would be useful in cutting the seat belts in the event of a crash like just took place in Calif.) so I'm sure phones would also be banned.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast