Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginners forum

Beans

Re: Beginners forum

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Dunham View Post
    ...Again I'm going to sound like an ass, but don't blame the devices on that...
    Spot on, mi amigo!

There is a difference between a reason and an excuse. The mobile device usage may be a reason, but it's not an excuse. I may sound like a Crusty Old Fart, but I make no apologies for it. It's what I am and I know my opinions, at least on this issue, are right.

Vaya con Dios

~~~ And another comment, while I'm at it. ~~~

Considering the strict requirements on: spelling, syntax, character placement, and command structure, of just about every programming language, it blows my mind that someone who is too lazy to write their spoken language properly can expect any accomplished programmer to believe such a person will ever write a single line of executable code on their own. Maybe that's why so many of them ask for scripting help.

I better leave this thread before my crustiness becomes nastiness. Nobody likes me when I'm nasty--including me.

Y'all have a wonderful day,

Crusty
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; August 25th, 2013 at 02:01 AM.
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Fart View Post
    Spot on, mi amigo!

~~~ And another comment, while I'm at it. ~~~

Considering the strict requirements on: spelling, syntax, character placement, and command structure, of just about every programming language, it blows my mind that someone who is too lazy to write their spoken language properly can expect any accomplished programmer to believe such a person will ever write a single line of executable code on their own. Maybe that's why so many of them ask for scripting help.
    I've always wondered that myself. When writing code, you have to very precise and clear. Even if it's not absolutely required when writing to humans, what does it hurt to at least put some modicum of effort into it?

On the other hand, some spaghetti code actually works pretty well, so maybe clarity finds it own level.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    ...On the other hand, some spaghetti code actually works pretty well, so maybe clarity finds it own level.
    Best laugh I've had all day!
    Thanks
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't go looking for questions I can answer. I go through "new posts since you last visited" for posts that interest me. If I can contribute to those threads I do, irrespective of where they are. Mostly, I decide whether an original post is of interest to me from its title or the bubble that provides a preview of (part of) the first question.

The only section of the forum in which I don't participate is the "Games".
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I personally think that many of the problems related here are because of shear laziness more than anything else. I'll be the first one to admit I'm lazy too.

I frequent quite a few Dutch web sites, and chromium and Google offer to translate them into English for me. My parents are from the Netherlands, and the great majority of my extended family still lives there, so it's not like Dutch is a foreign language to me. Some of the translation that are offered by Google translate just don't make sense, so I usually have to revert to the original page to try and understand what the author is trying to say. The same goes for asking technical questions here sometimes a translation doesn't get across what the author is trying to ask. Other times it's just that the author of a question doesn't seem to know enough to ask a question properly.

One final thought is that many of the poorly worded questions may be due to shyness. It can be quite daunting to create a post here, where on average we have anywhere from 10,000 to 35,000 users on-line at any one time. Sometimes a poster just wants to get his question out there, and then sit back and hope someone doesn't call them a dummy for asking a question that may have an easy solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Posts by non-absolute beginners are immediately moved to the appropriate sub-forum, at least by me. I will bring this up with staff as I agree: this area should be reserved for beginners only and repeated posting in this sub-forum, after warnings, with the intention of drawing attention and getting a quick(er) response should attract an appropriate infraction.

I will point staff to this thread for further discussion and start a report in the staff area.

* Note: I have asked staff for their thoughts on this and we will discuss in hope of finding a resolution to this ongoing problem.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 25th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    ... Other times it's just that the author of a question doesn't seem to know enough to ask a question properly...
    and
    Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    ... Sometimes a poster just wants to get his question out there, and then sit back and hope someone doesn't call them a dummy for asking a question that may have an easy solution.
    24k gold, right there folks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Update: Staff are currently discussing.

Please note: Poor language skills and any lack of clarity resulting from English not being a user's first language is NOT under debate here. Nor is the poor literacy skills of some of our native English speakers. These things are beyond the control of the forum and are non-issues here. The UF is an international forum with a policy of inclusion and we are here to help Ubuntu users everywhere, period (not just those with immaculate literacy skills, English as their first language or not).

Agreed, some users are difficult to help effectively due to their literacy skills, but we are not here to prevent them from trying to seek support in the first place.

What is being discussed is what action to take and what, if any, standard policy should exist regarding how we treat non-AB threads posted in ABS.

PS: See the last link in my signature as a reference for those who could perhaps use some clues on how to create and organise an effective support thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 25th, 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Beans

Guilty as charged. I posted something last week -- I'm not an *Absolute* beginner. I used LInux in school, many years ago. But I never got into the more advanced stuff, nor did I understand much beyond what was necessary to do my schoolwork. So, I still feel like a novice when it comes to the *how* and the *why* of Linux's inner workings.

So, I can see that my question to help identify what's up with my VPN configuration, and the fear of needing to compile a kernel to make that work should not have been posted there. I was an absolute beginner to the forum though, so since it all feels new, that's where I went first.

My two cents. And my apologies along side.

Beans

the posters here speak of english as if it is a single language it is not. Even in america it is not there are at least 50 variations of the language if you doubt that put a Texan, a Bostonian, A Cajun, A southern Californian, a Georgian and a Minnesotan together and listen. Even the english spoken in America is different from the UK or South Africa. The native language of a poster can have a very
    marked effect on how they structure sentences.

At one time I made a hobby and some what of a game of reading posts on sites and trying to determine where the OP was from by the way they phrased their posts.I got pretty good at it.

Another issue is that english is one if not the most difficult language to master. many words soun the same but are spelled differently depending on useage. a few that come to mind are deer,dear, duel and dual. affect and effect.Add to that words that are spelled nothing like they sound or are bastardized from their original language , keyboards that have sticky keys. We are fortunate to be able to communicate at all.
    Then you have people like myself that speak english as a native language sort of. I grew up in the south west and learned english in school but in life it was mixed with words and phrases from many languages,including Navajo, Pima Lakota,Mexican (different from Spanish especially in the border areas) German Cajun and others.

I guess the point of all this can be summed up in the words of the Great Rabbi, "let he who is with out sin cast the first stone."
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast