Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginners forum

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Angry Beginners forum

Once upon a time, beginners posted their questions in the beginners' forum and their questions usually were quickly answered. The reason was that these questions sounded simple to most forum users.

A lot of people noticed that you got answers faster if you posted in the beginners' section. So they started posting there, even if they were not beginners.

Now I can't even understand half of the questions posted in the beginners' forum, never mind answer them.
    The result of the "make" command:
    - Sitting bored in front of a computer
    - Watching abstruse output scrolling upwards too fast to be read
    - And waiting for something to go wrong

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Beginners forum

Yea,

I feel it is two factors:

1. Not being properly asked - most of the time I don't even want to ask for more information because the question are SO vague or in SUCH bad English...
    2. A 30 second google would have gave the answer.

Yes there are some more difficult question that "should" not be asked by beginners, but even in the general help section those two factors are seriously annoying!.

Maybe the name should not be "Absolute Beginners Section" because of the "I have been using ubuntu for a WHOLE WEEK! I am NO beginner" mentality. Maybe it should be "Easy/Basic/Quick questions"

Megh. Most people on the forum makes me want go some place else to help assist the community behind ubuntu. Like seeding the new torrents etc.

Just my couple of cents, but I agree with you.
    Switched away from windows XP to Ubuntu 9.04. Never turned around to look back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zero2xiii View Post
    ...1. Not being properly asked - most of the time I don't even want to ask for more information because the question are SO vague or in SUCH bad English...
    I don't get too amped up about poor English, especially considering that this forum has folks posting on it who live all over the world and for whom English is not their native language.

But, the thing that really, really torques my nuts is trying to make sense of the crap people post that has absolutely no punctuation or upper case characters. Whenever I see that, I move on. Life is way too short to waste on people who don't have enough respect, for those from whom they seek help, to adhere to the writing rules they should have learned by the end of the third grade. I've been away from this forum for the last couple of years and just got back into it after the crash. The increase in the number of posts filled with the crap I just described is very disappointing. People are either becoming more stupid, or lazy, or both, and they just don't seem to care.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm writing about. You just can't make this stuff up:
    Quote Originally Posted by justlivordie View Post
    been up for 4 days tryin 2 insall the ubuntu on my emachine it done n workin at this time i need a nap cause i cant spelll or c but if anyone could send me a link on a user guide i would highly apprieciate. my add had me doin researchn 4 bout month now . u guys are all great info asmoe i fond out my pc had a couple of tojans floatin around night for now thank you for the help u have givin unknowingly and for any in the future
    Unbelievable!

Won't touch it, or anything that looks like it.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; August 29th, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

When I first decided to post in this forum as a way of giving something back for the gift of Ubuntu I would go to the Beginners Section because I thought that here were problems that I might know how to solve. I found what others have found.

I have noticed of late that the moderators are making a serious effort to move posts into more appropriate sections. I would like to see the Absolute Beginners section deal with stuff that absolute beginners need help with.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by Mariane View Post
    So they started posting there, even if they were not beginners.
    Although I can't find a current example I have seen threads started in the Absolute Beginners Section by users with a bean count of several hundred. In my opinion, anyone with a bean count that high is not an absolute beginner even if they're trying out something new.

Beans

bean count should not be a disqualifier in the beginner section. I have a fairly high count but there are many areas in which I am still a beginner. Simply as i go on i start doing more and more that didnt interest me before.

Bad grammer, spelling,punctuation etc i believe is an outgrowth of texting from phones ,ipads and the like,and sms.Some of it can also be laid on hooked on phonics and what is allowed to pass in school.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    bean count should not be a disqualifier in the beginner section
    But it's not a section for beginners. It's a section for Absolute Beginners. That's why it's the first forum listed so newcomers can find it easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zero2xiii View Post
    Yea,
    A 30 second google would have gave the answer.
    Heh. True. Even a 15 seconds search on the forums would get them a bunch of topics to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Fart View Post
    I don't get too amped up about poor English, especially considering that this forum has folks posting on it who live all over the world and for whom English is not their native language.

But, the thing that really, really torques my nuts is trying to make sense of the crap people post that has absolutely no punctuation or upper case characters. Whenever I see that, I move on. Life is way too short to waste on people who don't have enough respect, for those from whom they seek help, to adhere to the writing rules they should have learned by the end of the third grade. I've been away from this forum for the last couple of years and just got back into it after the crash. The increase in the number of posts filled with the crap I just described is very disappointing. People are either becoming more stupid, or lazy, or both, and they just don't seem to care.
    Being Spanish my 1st language and hanging around English speaking forums for the last 15 years or so and not being myself an expert on this 2nd language (I still use Google Translator several times a day) I can tell you that those folks from all around the world can find a better and quicker answer to their difficulties by just searching on their favorite search engine in their own language.

I know I'm going to sound like an ass for what I'm going to say (well, I'm an ass anyways), but yes, you're right about them having no respect. No respect for their own language, so why would they have respect for a 2nd language (English)? And that's if we're talking about foreigners like me; I've seen way too many of them who don't even care to at least TRY to make it right - damn, even Google WILL translate it properly if they write it down properly in any other language. Well, they don't. I've seen over the years even more of them who repeatedly post on English-speaking forums and don't even care of trying to properly post a basic phrase they've posted like a thousand times. Sorry but that's true and anyone who's been around the net for a few years can notice that. And no, I'm not an English language lover, I just respect my own language and therefore I respect others. There is very little effort (and some times no need to effort at all) in trying to make it right, still people just don't care. And I'll say it again, most of the times they will find the help they're looking for in their own language.

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I have noticed of late that the moderators are making a serious effort to move posts into more appropriate sections. I would like to see the Absolute Beginners section deal with stuff that absolute beginners need help with.
    Yeah, I've noticed that too. Some people who come here post everything in the same forum section, or even worse, they post the same question in several different sections. That's seriously discouraging even to the Best Mod on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkingwolf View Post
    Bad grammer, spelling,punctuation etc i believe is an outgrowth of texting from phones ,ipads and the like,and sms.Some of it can also be laid on hooked on phonics and what is allowed to pass in school.
    Again I'm going to sound like an ass, but don't blame the devices on that. Even on mobile devices it's easy to post propery because those devices themselves have got the auto-fill option enabled by default, even my basic old mobile phone shows me several different options for the word I'm trying to write down.

I apologize if my comments sound harsh to anyone, that's not my intention. Have a good day.
    "Each choice we take creates a new reality. It's another path. The road not taken." Dr. Walter Bishop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    No opinion on the OP. I've been at it since Karmic and still don't know the difference between a beginners question as opposed to any other question. If a person with 2 beans wants to know how to install an RC Kernel at the Terminal, would that be a beginners question. I agree that a google search will usually get the answer and usually right back to this forum. Regarding the grammer, and use of English, I can only say that a bit of cultural tolerence is needed. I've found myself on a translation dictionary a few times and couldn't really say what the results were. If I could I wouldn't need a translator.
    rrnbtter
    Life is good! Live it to the Ubuntu-ist!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My 2 pounds worth;
    Communications requires proper grammar, in any language. No matter the context, garbage in equals garbage out.

In respect to where a post originates our response is determined by our understanding of the level of competence of the originator. We often misuse our time and resources expounding rudimentary principals to those who do in fact know. Thus, I do agree, that many many post are inappropriate in where they are originated. Especially in the light that this forum has the directive to teach.

We all, as responders should insist that the poster rephrase their request prior to providing a response to their query. I have observed that several of the responders on this forum do so; with admonishments that they will not assist if proper grammar is not in use.
    Several responders show by example how fruitful a search would have been prior to asking for assistance. That is, in my opinion, a great way to "teach".

Lastly, it is our responsibility to ensure that the guidelines provided are adhered to ...While I agree that a response in line with "RTFM" is unacceptable ... "take the time to read the stickies" may be a better way to address these situations as our first response to a request that is inappropriate.

After all;
    proper grammar lends to structured thinking
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast