Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is This What I Should Expect... Ubuntu is SLOW???!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Thumbs down Re: Is This What I Should Expect... Ubuntu is SLOW???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by startas View Post
    Actually, unity is the fastest de in linux, it is at the same level as xfce and other useless des, except that unity isnt from 80's and has vsync and other basic technologies from the 21 century. gnome 3 and kde also has these basic features, but these de are very slow and full of crap. Second, you should even compare so old 12.04 with such a beast as windows 7 even current development versions of 13.10 isnt in par with windows 7/8 in speed. And there is pretty big chance (as always), that something is broken (as usual).
    Are you trying to start a flame war? Calling ANY Linux slower than Windows is a great way to do it. Another great way is to call any DE than Unity "slow and full of crap."

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Is This What I Should Expect... Ubuntu is SLOW???!!!

Quote Originally Posted by startas View Post
    Actually, unity is the fastest de in linux, it is at the same level as xfce and other useless des, except that unity isnt from 80's and has vsync and other basic technologies from the 21 century. gnome 3 and kde also has these basic features, but these de are very slow and full of crap. Second, you should even compare so old 12.04 with such a beast as windows 7 even current development versions of 13.10 isnt in par with windows 7/8 in speed. And there is pretty big chance (as always), that something is broken (as usual).
    Is that so? Fascinating! I'd like to hear more about that.

I'd especially like to hear about what substance have you been using before making this post, cause that seems far more interesting, something that induces those kind of hallucinations probably isn't on the market yet.

Now, while you get your facts straight, let me explain what Unity is. Half of Unity is Compiz (visuals, window manager), a resource-heavy 3D desktop compositor that can bog down even a modern system and make it squeal for mercy. Sure it runs fast, on an i5 3570K, 8GB system RAM and Radeon 7770, but on a Core 2 Duo E4500, 2GB system RAM and Radeon 4350 it makes the PC slow. And GNOME 3, the one "full of crap" is the other half of Unity (programs).

KDE is also a resource-heavy desktop environment that offers a greater extent of modifications and options than Unity/GNOME. I was never a big fan of it though, but I do like some things about it.

VSync you're mentioning, it is available in Xorg's radeon/noveau/intel drivers and fglrx/Nvidia propriatery drivers. Incompetence to actually activate VSync or RTFM is another thing entirely.

"Old 12.04" was released in 2012, Windows 7 was released in 2009 and Windows 8 was released 6 months after Ubuntu 12.04, so I fail to see how 12.04 is old. I also fail to see how a year and a half makes it old, if that's the case, then Win7 is a dinosaur and Win8 is old too. So unless Microsoft went back in time to release 7, Ubuntu 12.04 is 3 years ahead of Windows 7.

As for Windows 7/8 speed, Windows is fast, but only on new machines. Faster? Yes, when using default FLOSS drivers on Linux, fglrx performs worse on Linux but Nvidia drivers are on-par with Windows'. Go run Windows without AMD/Nvidia drivers and see how that works out for you, Linux's FLOSS drivers can at least be further tweaked. Not to mention that Windows 7/8, compared to {L,X}ubuntu, Debian LXDE/XFCE or even Mint Cinnamon, is slow as sloth. You do not measure boot time or game performance to decide how an OS performs, you measure reaction time, responsiveness, CPU cycle usage, GPU usage, etc.

And the best part of the post was when you compared Windows 7/8, which you praise oh so highly, to an unfinished development version of Ubuntu that is scheduled to be released in two months. You can't judge an OS by going and using a cutting-edge developmental version that is not yet even released. If you want speed and stability, go use Debian Wheezy. If you want "latest and greatest", use Arch or Gentoo.

If you prefer Windows, use it, love it, sleep with it, make out with it, marry it, <snip> it, nobody cares. Just don't cram your ideals down people's throats cause, surprisingly enough, people don't like that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I shall retreat and wait for my punishment by the moderation team for not being able to just shut the hell up and move on.

Note for mods: Don't be gentle, I can take it.
    Last edited by cariboo; August 26th, 2013 at 03:56 AM. Reason: remove implied profanity

Beans

Dual booting can cause problems with the speed of ubuntu and any other OS on your computer. Also, I highly recommend the x32 bit versions of linux, they are better optimized to run faster. Of course, you might just need to break it in a little bit.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jaedin2 View Post
    Dual booting can cause problems with the speed of ubuntu and any other OS on your computer. Also, I highly recommend the x32 bit versions of linux, they are better optimized to run faster. Of course, you might just need to break it in a little bit.
    Sounds like time to get my boots on, its getting pretty deep around here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

And that ain't mud on your boots partner.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

d-cosner is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans

Werne, I absolutely love what you wrote! Weather you get in trouble with the mods or not I think you expressed what all of us were thinking. You gave me a good laugh too! Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

This thread doesn't belong here, moved to the Cafe, as it isn't a support question any more.

Edit Closed for 24 hours to let the participants settle down a bit.
    Last edited by cariboo; August 26th, 2013 at 04:01 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12