Thread: URGENT: HP Printer not working

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

URGENT: HP Printer not working

I have an HP Diskjet printer, the detalis according to cups are.

Description: HP Deskjet 3070 B611 series
    Driver: HP Deskjet 3070 b611 Series, hpcups 3.13.8 (color, 2-sided printing)
    Connection: hp:/usb/Deskjet_3070_B611_series?serial=CN23P6829Y05MQ

When I try to print nothing happens. The print que say that the job has been stopped and reprinting it doesn't work. The "State" say;
    "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups failed"

I've trie searching for answers and tried any possible I could find. I have tried removing the printer and re-adding it (multiple time). I've tried reinsatll HPLIP with the latest version. Tried turning the printer on and off and have restarted the comp as well. Still end up with the same result.

Running Ubuntu 12.04

Please help as this is urgent as I need it going to do business.
    Ubuntu 12.04
    “To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
    box, you just need to work on it”.
    TrinhamTechnologies.com.au

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: URGENT: HP Printer not working

Thread moved to Hardware.

You need to install HPLip (from Software Centre or Synaptics). Most HP printers are very well supported. Install HPLip, restart and see if that works. Go to the HP website and find the Linux driver for your device. There should be specific instructions about how to install your device there. Read them and the user manual (thoroughly, if you haven't ten times already!).

Once HPLip and the correct driver are installed, go to Printer and 'Add Printer'. Add your printer. If it is wireless, click 'Network Printer' and wait til it's picked up.

I'm repeating these steps as this would be the course of action. If you delete all printers, reboot and start from the beginning then let us know what happens would be good. You haven't mentioned whether this is USB or wireless or how you're connecting with it. It says USB above but is this correct?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; August 24th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Thread moved to Hardware.

You need to install HPLip (from Software Centre or Synaptics). Most HP printers are very well supported. Install HPLip, restart and see if that works. Go to the HP website and find the Linux driver for your device. There should be specific instructions about how to install your device there. Read them and the user manual (thoroughly, if you haven't ten times already!).

Once HPLip and the correct driver are installed, go to Printer and 'Add Printer'. Add your printer. If it is wireless, click 'Network Printer' and wait til it's picked up.

I'm repeating these steps as this would be the course of action. If you delete all printers, reboot and start from the beginning then let us know what happens would be good. You haven't mentioned whether this is USB or wireless or how you're connecting with it. It says USB above but is this correct?
    Sorry yea its USB. It has a wireless ability but I'm connected via usb. I did have the standard HPLIP installed from the Ubuntu repositories and it was still doing the same thing so aoung other things I thought I'd try upgrading it to the latest version from the website. This was suggested on a page I found with about the same or similar issue.
    As suggested I will try it all again from scratch.
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro

OK so after a couple more attempts I tried a test page this last time around and found that it worked. So I went back to inkscape and tried to print andgot the same result as earlier. So I tried saving to a PDF and printing from Okular, worked fine. So it seems that issue is perhaps with Inkscape and not cups or hplip. So I've probably wasted most of the day for nothing.
    Yes, I am feeling realy fustrated right now...
    Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've had the same problem trying to print from Inkscape in 12.04, with a slightly different printer - HP Officejet 5610. No other programs misbehave like that.

I might try in 13.10 and see if that makes any difference.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.