Thread: Left and right channels are flip-flopped

Beans

Left and right channels are flip-flopped

When I do "Test Sound" from the sound options and I play the test sound for the right speaker, it plays for the left speaker and vice versa. Also, anything I play sounds crappier. And my front-panel audio jack doesn't work. Is this a normal problem for Ubuntu users?

My sound card is the Asus Xonar DG.

Everything works fine in Windows.

Beans

Re: Left and right channels are flip-flopped

This is so richly inviting that I can't resist:

It happened to me once. To fix it, I moved the right speaker to the left side of the room and the left speaker to the right side of the room and, to my absolute amazement, PRESTO! By some strange twist of metaphysical magic or a weird wrinkle in the space/time continuum, the computer actually played its test sounds to the correct sides of the room, and the problem has never reoccurred. I could hardly believe it!

I guess I just got lucky
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; August 24th, 2013 at 05:20 AM.
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

@Crusty

Thats a lazy response if I saw one!

To really answer the question, The Xonar XG is based off the Oxygen DSP Sound Chip which just recently made it into the Kernel with driver support. So be patient as the ALSA, Pulseaudio, and Kernel Team are trying to get it to work properly. If in doubt, upgrade. Try Ubuntu 13.04 if you aren't already using it. As time progresses, the drivers will get better. Promise.
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAurora View Post
    @Crusty
    Thats a lazy response if I saw one! ...
    Lazy response?
    Maybe, but it was a LOT of hard work, my speakers weigh a TON and are HUGE, so is the room
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Fart View Post
    This is so richly inviting that I can't resist:

It happened to me once. To fix it, I moved the right speaker to the left side of the room and the left speaker to the right side of the room and, to my absolute amazement, PRESTO! By some strange twist of metaphysical magic or a weird wrinkle in the space/time continuum, the computer actually played its test sounds to the correct sides of the room, and the problem has never reoccurred. I could hardly believe it!

I guess I just got lucky
    Well, I would have to switch them back when I go back to Windows. Also, your answer is pretty inefficient because I could more easily switch the cables around on my amplifiers than move my speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetAurora View Post
    @Crusty

Thats a lazy response if I saw one!

To really answer the question, The Xonar XG is based off the Oxygen DSP Sound Chip which just recently made it into the Kernel with driver support. So be patient as the ALSA, Pulseaudio, and Kernel Team are trying to get it to work properly. If in doubt, upgrade. Try Ubuntu 13.04 if you aren't already using it. As time progresses, the drivers will get better. Promise.
    Thanks for the response. I guess I'll just have to wait, but I hope that the drivers improve soon!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by goldblatt View Post
    Well, I would have to switch them back when I go back to Windows...
    Go BACK to Windows??? Is anyone really THAT masochistic?

Quote Originally Posted by goldblatt View Post
    ...Also, your answer is pretty inefficient because I could more easily switch the cables around on my amplifiers than move my speakers...
    Ah yes, that would certainly be easier, and much more ingenious as well, but you would be missing the greater physical challenge