Thread: Can someone give me some tips for setting up a mail server?

Beans

Can someone give me some tips for setting up a mail server?

I got my own domain registered and I wanted to setup my own email server with ubuntu.

I set up postfix as well as courier imap and pop3 and went through several setup guides to try and get my own mail server running. Unfortunetly, parts of it do not work. I can send and receive email, but security features (SSL, TLS) do not work. I have gone over numerous guides, and I still just have no clue why.

I can get plain text starttls to work on my outgoing server, but I can't get any security (TLS, SSL) to work on my incoming mail server. My log files don't seem to be any help, they just say user disconnected for unknown reasons when I try to setup a mail client with TLS or SSL on the incoming side.

Am I correct in thinking that Postfix is supposed to support incoming mail server security? I installed the libsasl2-2, sasl2-bin, and libsas12-modules for the security and followed guides to get them to work, but they just don't.

When I try and get thunderbird or outlook to connect to the incoming mail server with ssl or tls, it always fails. The autoconnect features always settle on unsecured incoming mail settings.

Am I supposed to get some other program for the incoming side of things? Can someone drop me a clue?

Re: Can someone give me some tips for setting up a mail server?

Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Check this out.
    https://library.linode.com/email/pos...ot2.0.19-mysql

I used it to help me set up my mail server on a Debian box, but it was written for Ubuntu 12.04.
    Last edited by CharlesA; August 24th, 2013 at 01:10 AM.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Our mail server was up in less than 30 mins. Postfix, courier, spamassassin, amavisd and roundcube webmail. It has support for SSL by default and works for thunderbird and outlook.
    After it is setup I just edited some config files to make it fit for our company. Goodluck on yours

And remember to install it on a FRESH install of ubuntu 12.04. Try it on a VM and see how it works.
    http://www.iredmail.org/install_iredmail_on_ubuntu.html
    Last edited by nerdtron; August 25th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.