Thread: Tenuous, hidden processing involved in shell variable assignment

Beans

Question Tenuous, hidden processing involved in shell variable assignment

Greetings,

I grabbed the ANSI Escape Sequence display, present at http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x329.html. Upon inspection, it reflected hastily produced hackery, which offered little insight to function via commentary. And, so I cleaned it up, added some necessary insight to function, and removed the raging nonessential bits.

Notwithstanding, nestled within the algorithm is an otherwise non-imposing variable assignment, whose syntax is curious (haven't seen before); and has irritated me beyond annoyance. The statement is:
    do FG=${FGs// /}

I figured the '// /' were probably an overlooked boo-boo, which didn't hurt anything by their existence. However, upon further inspection (set -x), it became evident that the slashes presence are certainly not an overlook, and are in fact, essential. Apparently however, there are other non-obvious, additional data processing functionality at hand here. So, why doesn't the value of FG end up with a string that includes '// /' at the end, each time; instead of a properly syntaxed foreground sequence were the slashes have been eliminated? The '// /' is indispensable in eliminating an extra, non-essential whitespace in the value before the assignment becomes effective. Additionally, are there other similar types of hidden internal shell functionality available, and where might it be made obvious?

Sláinte,
    odoncaoa@yahoo.com

#!/bin/bash

# set -x
    # http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/x329.html
    # This file echoes a bunch of color codes to the
    # terminal to demonstrate what's available. Each
    # line is the color code of one forground color,
    # out of 17 (default + 16 escapes), followed by a
    # test use of that color on all nine background
    # colors (default + 8 escapes).
    #

T='gYw' # The test text
    BGCDs="40m 41m 42m 43m 44m 45m 46m 47m"

# Output each of the background display codes being used behind each column
    # across the top of the table
    printf "\n "
    for BGs in $BGCDs;
    do printf " $BGs ";
    done
    printf "\n"

# These are ANSI foreground codes; displayed first column (to the left & down)
    for FGx in ' m' ' 1m' ' 30m' '1;30m' ' 31m' '1;31m' ' 32m' \
    '1;32m' ' 33m' '1;33m' ' 34m' '1;34m' ' 35m' '1;35m' \
    ' 36m' '1;36m' ' 37m' '1;37m'
    do FG=${FGx// /}
    #do FG=${FGx}

# COLUMN ONLY NEEDS OUTPUT FOREGROUND CODE; REST IS REDUNDANT
    # Output the first plain foreground code text, then escaped
    # foreground code, then the fully colored test text ('gYw')
    # without fully colored background
    # echo -en " $FGx \033[$FG $T "
    echo -en " $FGx"

# Fashion a different display area, which employs a new/diff
    # foreground & background color. So, each test text ('gYw') is
    # displayed with each all foreground/background color combos
    for BG in $BGCDs
    do echo -en " \033[$FG\033[$BG $T \033[0m";
    done
    printf "\n";
    done
    printf "\n"

set +x

Beans

Re: Tenuous, hidden processing involved in shell variable assignment

Quote Originally Posted by odonncaoa View Post
    [...]

Notwithstanding, nestled within the algorithm is an otherwise non-imposing variable assignment, whose syntax is curious (haven't seen before); and has irritated me beyond annoyance. The statement is:
    do FG=${FGs// /}

[...]
    The '// /' is indispensable in eliminating an extra, non-essential whitespace in the value before the assignment becomes effective.
    That's basically it - remove any whitespace present in the string ${FGs}. It's the same concept (global replacement) you'd find in other tools such as sed (sed 's/ //g'), awk, perl, ...
    Bash provides its own tools for the job, so no (expensive) calls are made to external tools (sed, awk, cut, ...).

This nifty construct and more, are described in the "Parameter Substitution" section, in the same link you posted:

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/paramet...stitution.html

Variable expansion / Substring replacement

These constructs have been adopted from ksh.
    ${var/Pattern/Replacement}

First match of Pattern, within var replaced with Replacement.
    If Replacement is omitted, then the first match of Pattern is replaced by nothing, that is, deleted.

${var//Pattern/Replacement}

Global replacement. All matches of Pattern, within var replaced with Replacement.
    As above, if Replacement is omitted, then all occurrences of Pattern are replaced by nothing, that is, deleted
    The same thing can be found in bash man pages.

Beans

The result certainly has functionality similar as a separate call to "sed (sed 's/ //g'), awk, perl, ..", but I hadn't stumbled upon a page which documented such reality. And, I didn't recall the existence of such a feature in the (Bourne, C, Korn, or Z) shells; although it appears that there are similar abilities in the ksh. It's a decent optimization constituent, and a good feature to be aware of. Thanks for the update. Cheers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I don't recommend the bash tutorials at tldp.org

Parameter expansion should work in POSIX compliant shells: http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs...l#tag_18_06_02

If you are looking for a good bash tutorial check out a the links in my signature.Parameter expansion is explained here: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide...eter_Expansion

If you want to learn more about ANSI color escape sequences check out BashFAQ 037 and http://wiki.bash-hackers.org/scripting/terminalcodes