Thread: Using xdotool correctly

Beans

Question Using xdotool correctly

Hello all, I am blackout2, as you can see(I entered Blackout, but that's what it gave me, oh well) and I am looking forward to using your site to it's full potential. I would like to ask, as my first post, why xdotool does not "work" at all on my Mac.
    For your information, this is on my laptop, w/ 10.4.11(I know, it's old) I downloaded Xcode, soley so I can use macports, I tried installing apt, from macports, but after an hour and a half of groaning, wishing it would go faster, something went wrong with installing dpkg, but that's a different story. So, I gave up with apt(maybe a different topic) and tried doing xdotool, the installation went without any hitches, after 2 hours, this is what happened when I did a test run. If you need more info, just ask.
    $ xdotool key Caps_Lock
    Error: Can't open display: (null)
    Bus error
    I know this isn't a forum for mac, but mac is based off of Unix, and the terminal is the same bash as Ubuntu, as far as I know. I use Linux on my main computer, and am somewhat experienced in it(sort of[probably not{but a little}]).
    ;D
    Thanks ahead of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Using xdotool correctly

Hello. Welcome to the forums.

The Mac isn't really good for X11 support (which is what xdotool requires). It's been a few years, but I think if you had an X server running and then pulled up xdotool in a shell from within that, you'd be good to go.

Beans

How would I set up an X server, I have never done that before, is there something to download, or a series of terminal commands?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please do not bump your posts more than once in 24 hours. When people are available, and if they know the answer, they will answer.

Also moving this post to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans

Np, duly noted, waiting patiently by computer, meanwhile using my Desktop to do it...still need for laptop though.