Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu running on a USB stick...?

Beans

Ubuntu running on a USB stick...?

Ok so i have loaded ubuntu 13.04 on a usb stick using the pendrive website installer. I have downloaded the iso and it created a live version on the stick. How can i actually run ubuntu from the stick as an actual os instead of running it as a live version? Thank you in advance...

Beans

Re: Ubuntu running on a USB stick...?

The short answer is that you will need a second usb stick to install the os on, using the one you have as the installer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    The short answer is that you will need a second usb stick to install the os on, using the one you have as the installer.
    Ok so then i also have the same iso burned to a dvd. Can i load the live dvd and install it to the usb stick? The usb stick is 64gigs.

Beans

Sure. You can use the dvd as the installer, and your usb stick as the place to install.

You need to set up a partition table on the stick: choose "do something else" when asked how you want to install. That should allow you to get to the tools to set up a new partition table, and then make two partitions that you will need on your usb, one primary partition and one swap.

Once that is done, you have the installer install Ubuntu using the primary partition that you created as the root (/) partion. Caution: Be sure that you install to the correct device (usb stick) and not your hard drive by accident.

The rest is done by the the installer, with a bit of input (user name, password, location) by you.

Beans

Just to add, you need to install the boot loader to the usb stick as well, not your hard drive. This will allow you to boot from the usb.

Beans

Ok, i am going to try it. Not sure on the bootloader part but hopefully it will tell me.

Beans

Just read carefully as you go along. I think you also can get to the partition editor from running a live dvd session before you start installing. It is called gparted and should be listed in the applications.

Beans

ok thank you.

Beans

@mark48: See
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12766144
    for posted notes I located on this topic, with a detailed list of the steps taken.
    Last edited by Dennis N; August 23rd, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Beans

thanks from me as well, will come in handy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast