Thread: XPS 13 Wifi

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

XPS 13 Wifi

I'm thinking about buying one of the current XPS 13 developer edition ultrabooks.

After reading through this and other forums, there seem to be problems with the WIFI connectivity. As far as I understood so far, there are two symptoms. First, a bad signal. I found statements like "two bars less than other devices" for identical conditions. And second the connection dropping issue, which seems can be solved through kernel options concerning the hardware/software encryption.

Now my question: Are these symptoms of the same problem or unrelated?
    In other words, can I fix the connectivity problem by just disabling hardware encryption or will the bad connectivity persist?

Logical thinking tells me, the second problem would stay. But I don't know, how the signal strength indicator is realized, meaning if it strictly is based on the attenuation of the signal or if it also considers software factors.

Thanks for your feedback!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: XPS 13 Wifi

As far as I know, Dell uses broadcom chips on their laptops, but I can't be sure. Broadcom chips are usually easier to troubleshoot and once fixed (usually a matter of a couple of easy steps), they perform nicely.

The fixes you mentioned are not applicable to all wifi chips/drivers. Better confirm which wifi chip you are going to get and then search the forums for issues, if any, pertaining to them.

You may find these links useful in your search :
    Laptop Compatibility Thread : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1543006
    Supported Wifi cards : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just checking to see if you ended up getting one of these last week? I just checked with Dell and they said they are no longer selling it now.

Beans

Hi. I own a Dell XPS13 since 2 months and I can say that even the wireless works.....you must have a good signal.

Beans

I just got a inspiron 15 last week, and i feel the same way about the wifi connectivity, my macbook from 2007 always gets a better signal under the same conditions, im looking into using a windows driver for the card