Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Galago UltraPro touchpad, keyboard and wifi issues

Beans

Re: Galago UltraPro touchpad, keyboard and wifi issues

Quote Originally Posted by nkasprak View Post
    I tried adding the nohwcrypt=1 to the configuration file as well and it didn't work.

However, after some more searching around, I found this solution: http://johanv.org/node/207 - adding blink=1 btcoex_enable=1 enable_diversity=1 to the config file as well. Performance is currently much better, and that APPEARS to have fixed my problem for now (though I can't be sure, since it sometimes works for a while and the issue is intermittent.) I'll post an update if it craps out again.

Keyboard still sucks, but I'm reasonably optimistic that the replacements they're sending out will fix the issue (I haven't heard back on my support ticket yet but I would think System76, small as they are, are a Monday-Friday operation.)

EDIT: It's been an hour an Wifi is still working great, so I'm pretty confident the fix linked above is the solution. Don't know which option above is what's actually making it work (I suspect it's the enable_diversity=1, since I had already tried disabling bluetooth before) but in any event I recommend anyone having problems with their Killer wifi do this - it's 1000% better now.
    Thanks for sharing this, after having above fix, this problem seems to be fixed (its more stable now)
    This is what I have in below file now

$ more /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf
    options ath9k nohwcrypt=1 blink=1 btcoex_enable=1 enable_diversity=1

Beans

I am having the same issues mentioned: keyboard, clickpad, and wifi connectivity. I have connected to 3 different wifi networks (home, school, and work).

home - This is where I have an issue. Connectivity seems to be spotty at best. Either I can connect for a very short time then it drops or I cannot connect at all. I did try to change some settings on my router related to "n-mode" and channels. I had good results for a day, but it was not consistent throughout the week. My home network uses 2.4 GHz, and all my other wifi devices do not have connectivity issues.

work - No problems. Very fast and consistent speeds. I also noticed that I was connecting to a 5 Ghz wifi network.

school - The semester just started, so I haven't done enough testing for accurate results. My first impression is no problems. I have not checked the wifi frequency band that I connected to.

This is the first time to check the forums about this issue, so I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing the issue. I started to believe that the issue is with channel congestion on my home wifi network, because I live in an apartment and only one ISP is available (meaning that everyone is probably using the same wifi router, on the same default settings, and on the 2.4 Ghz band). Reading everyone's post, it looks like it is the wifi NIC.

All my home devices are not 5 Ghz compatible, so it's a little hard to run a 5 GHz test. Either way, the NIC should be able to connect to a 2.4 GHz network without issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't think the network band is what's causing trouble. If the system won't connect to a specific access point, then typically that's a sign that the network card is incompatible with the router or access point. You can either:

A. Contact us and we can switch you to a different brand wireless card, or
    B. Replace the router with a different one, or add a new one "down stream" of the first one.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I thought of that too, but I have a very common router. isantop, has the System76 support team tried nkasprak's solution? Is it recommended?

I opened a support case the first day I received the laptop. The support technician responded very quickly and suggested to replace the wireless NIC. The issue stopped after I made a setting change on the router, so I told the technician to hold off. He also suggested that I try another wifi network. I did and it worked, so I started to troubleshoot my own network. Seeing these posts, I think I may just change the card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

From the posts I've seen the wifi issue sounds like some sort of weird atheros driver bug that only effects certain access points.

Typically intel and atheros are the best supported wireless you can get for linux so I don't think system76 is to blame for offering atheros hardware. Would you rather deal with broadcom lol?

If I was system76 though I'd look into applying that workaround mentioned in this thread in the system76-driver.

EDIT: think I found the upstream kernel bug report for it: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49201 This suggests that it may be fixed in kernel 3.11, but its unclear if the patches are merged yet.

Has this bug been reported to launchpad? Maybe canonical could apply these patches to the ubuntu kernel in a SRU...
    Last edited by screaminj3sus; August 27th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans

screaminj3sus, the is already a bug filed on Launchpad:

Bug #1660188 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1160188
    Bug #971809 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ux/+bug/971809
    Bug #1204666 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...x/+bug/1204666.

Bug #1204666 states that there should be a fix (may just be a partial) in the current stable release for 13.04. I will try it out when I get home.

Beans

Sorry to say I just received my new Galgo UltraPro today and immediately noticed issues with the keyboard. The loss of keystrokes is really annoying and this machine is supposed from a new batch - the keyboard surface itself seems firm, unlike many Dell Systems I've used where the keyboard deck bounces up and down. However a significant number of keys on the right side seems to regularly lose presses in an completely unpredictable way.

I've had no WiFi problems but I didn't go with the killer WiFi.

Touchpad seems okay - a bit too sensitive to palm presses while typing moving the mouse around even though I have turn off while typing set.

Beans

I can report the same problem with atheros wifi card. I found that (in several AP's) that the connectivity issues appear just when I get close to the router. In my work, I had the router in the same table where my Galago was and I could not get any connectivity at all. When I moved to another table everything suddenly becomes fine. The exact thing happened in my house.

I will try your config file tweaking solution and see if it works.

Beans

As an update - I called System 76 after a couple of days and they were sympathetic but advised me to stick with the machine for a couple of more weeks since they have a 30 day return policy - they said I will both get used to the typing action and the keyboard will also "wear in". I asked about a replacement keyboard and they said they could send one but it would be identical to what I have.

I don't really want a machine were people using it have to spend two weeks learning to type on it, but if it does actually improve with wear that will be okay. I guess I will just have to force myself to pound on it for a couple of weeks.

Trouble is this is a developers machine and I'm a developer - having a *great* keyboard is really important and this is definitely a million miles from great at the moment. My day to day USB keyboard is actually an Apple keyboard and by comparison it is a dream - even with the funky key layout. Unless something miraculous happens in the next two weeks I think it is going to be so-so at best. Too bad - the keyboard was actually the one thing that gave me pause for thought - but only because it didn't have a backlight. Now I'm sad. I'll persevere in key my fingers crossed. It's going to be a frustrating two weeks having to erase stuff almost as often as I do on my phone keypad!

One other problem I've had - there is a slight bump in the case between the touchpad and the spacebar and it seems to push up against the screen when the lid is closed. Every time I open the lid I see a one to two inch mark on the screen. So far a spritz of screen cleaner has removed it so it appears to be just dirt/grease but I'm worried that over time it is going to wear a mark in the otherwise great screen.

Beans

moschops - since more than a few weeks have passed....How's the keyboard now?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast