Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Galago UltraPro touchpad, keyboard and wifi issues

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Galago UltraPro touchpad, keyboard and wifi issues

I just received by brand new Galago UltraPro laptop. Initially I was impressed by it, but after using it a while I'm starting to notice some very critical problems.
    There are three main issues that are seriously bothering me.

1. Because the button for the trackpad is under the sensor, this makes it a hassle to use. When I press the button, it often moves the cursor, often away from what I was clicking on. Quite a lot of the time it ends up in the bottom left corner and I end up opening the trash. This problem is especially annoying given the very fine dpi anyway (buttons, icons, etc are small anyway).

2. The keyboard seems a bit rubbish to me. Often when I think I've pressed a key, even when it gives me feedback and makes a clicking sound, it hasn't actually registered. This makes typing fast on this thing very difficult. I'm constantly looking back over text to notice letters that are missing. This has happened countless times even in typing out this post and made it a slow tedious process!

3. I opted for the Atheros Killer wifi because I wanted the best possible wireless, but it isn't good at all. It is extremely slow and drops out from time to time. I cannot completely discount the possibility that it is due to my connection, but it seems unlikely as I have tried it next to another (older) laptop connected to the same wireless network and the other machine seemed to show no connectivity issues at all. The Galago, on the other hand, is so poor I've had to connect with a wired ethernet cable just to edit this post. I'm only a few feet from my router! I own several wireless devices, (one of them actually another laptop running ubuntu with an Atheros wifi device!!!) and I've never experienced a connection this bad before.

I suppose these are things I could try to get used to, but I don't think that is good enough. Especially not at this price.
    Are there any solutions or work-arounds that people know of? I assume the trackpad issue could probably be solved with the synaptic utilities somehow, but the keyboard and wifi flaws seem inbuilt.
    Unless I can get around these issues, I don't think this laptop is actually useable. I'm a grad student and I purchased this specifically for notetaking and thesis writing. So I need a machine with a high quality, responsive keyboard and a solid wireless connection.
    Last edited by powerpleb; August 23rd, 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Added issue about wifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Galago UltraPro Trackpad/touchpad and keyboard issues

I totaly agree with the complaint about the keyboard (forces you to hit the keys hard), and about the trackpad, when you click a button it stil moves the mouse.

About the trackpad, you can setup for clicking through tapping and that makes it easier (settings -> mouse). Or just use an usb mouse which is what i use. You can disable the trackpad using Fn + F1. As for the keyboard... It seems to get better with use.

Beans

Re: Galago UltraPro touchpad, keyboard and wifi issues

Yeah I'm with you on the keyboard. I constantly manage to miss A's when I'm typing fast, it's fairly aggravating.

I know it's easy to remove the keyboard but I've been wondering if it's even possible to find a replacement keyboard, I wouldnt even know where to start looking for said replacements.

Beans

I am still waiting for my Galago to ship and so I sent a message to System76 support about the keyboard issues I have been hearing about. An hour and a half after sending my message, Emma at System76 responded:

"We immediately addressed the keyboard concern and notified our manufacturer of the complaints. They resolved the issue by soldering an extra metal plate onto the bottom of the keyboard so all orders are shipping with the new keyboard. The flex and responsiveness is much better with the new keyboard and we are very happy with the solution. We also sent customers who complained about the keyboard the new keyboard replacement or offered to take the system back for a full refund."

I would contact System76 support and see if they will offer you a keyboard replacement. I am hoping mine arrives with the upgraded keyboard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by keith5 View Post
    I am still waiting for my Galago to ship and so I sent a message to System76 support about the keyboard issues I have been hearing about. An hour and a half after sending my message, Emma at System76 responded:

"We immediately addressed the keyboard concern and notified our manufacturer of the complaints. They resolved the issue by soldering an extra metal plate onto the bottom of the keyboard so all orders are shipping with the new keyboard. The flex and responsiveness is much better with the new keyboard and we are very happy with the solution. We also sent customers who complained about the keyboard the new keyboard replacement or offered to take the system back for a full refund."

I would contact System76 support and see if they will offer you a keyboard replacement. I am hoping mine arrives with the upgraded keyboard.
    OK... Thank you. This is reassuring. I came here first simply because this was the first place System76's support section directed me. So I'll shoot them an email soon.
    The wifi issue seems to have abated for now. But the keyboard and touchpad are still a frustration to use. Using tap click for the touchpad does help a bit. Though it has it's own problems... And I suppose when I have time I can try and use the synaptic utilities to disable the movement sensor for the very bottom of the touchpad. I think you can do that??

I've just got to assess whether it is worth taking my chances with the new keyboard or try and get a refund and go with a brand I know will deliver a quality product.

Beans

I'll just chip in here to add that I also got a Galago with the Killer wifi option and I'm having the exact same issues - very slow, connection randomly drops. The issues are intermittent - sometimes it works for around an hour, other times it's basically unusable. Other computers on the same network work fine so it's definitely an issue with the Galago.

I just put in a support request, so I'm waiting to hear back - I'm glad to learn from the above comments they're replacing the keyboards and hopefully the wifi problems are fixable. I personally don't mind the touchpad now that I'm used to it and have trained myself to click with my pointing figure, but the keyboard and the wifi are a disaster.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by powerpleb View Post
    I've just got to assess whether it is worth taking my chances with the new keyboard or try and get a refund and go with a brand I know will deliver a quality product.
    If all they're doing is slapping a metal plate on the back of the keyboard, then I doubt it'll fix any issues, unless your complaint is that it's too wobbly. My GazP9 had keys that didn't register, and it had nothing to do with a flimsy keyboard insert (although the keyboard certainly was flimsy).

The wireless is also an issue they won't troubleshoot -- they first told me wireless issues were Apple's fault, then told me it was GNOME's fault, then told me it was broken hardware. They have no idea what they're doing, no intention of fixing the issue, and seem more than happy to simply say "We can't fix that." To them, it's a driver issue, and as much as they supposedly make their machines work with Ubuntu, I saw no evidence that they were capable or interested in fixing the crappy wireless driver. I know it's Intel's fault, but I guess that's my point here: System76 won't fix it, so no point in waiting and hoping.

The clickpad issues have been mentioned on here before. Just recently a Bonobo owned was complaining about his clickpad's performance, and they told him there was an updated driver fixing the issue. With the Galago, they said they spent lots of time getting the driver to be just right so the clickpad is awesome. In both cases, they essentially lied.

So don't wait on keyboard, wireless, or clickpad fixes. They're not likely to come.

Beans

I also got Galago ultrapro last week, I have same issues as you mentioned trackpad is jumpy, keyboard is hard to use and main problem is WIFI, I too gone for Atheros Killer wifi, disconnects randomly and asks for wifi password, sometimes network speed is dead slow. I opened a ticket I followed a step they mentioned but it is not working.

sudo -s
    echo "options ath9k nohwcrypt=1" >> /etc/modprobe.d/ath9k.conf

I am hoping that they will atleast fix wifi problem.

Beans

I tried adding the nohwcrypt=1 to the configuration file as well and it didn't work.

However, after some more searching around, I found this solution: http://johanv.org/node/207 - adding blink=1 btcoex_enable=1 enable_diversity=1 to the config file as well. Performance is currently much better, and that APPEARS to have fixed my problem for now (though I can't be sure, since it sometimes works for a while and the issue is intermittent.) I'll post an update if it craps out again.

Keyboard still sucks, but I'm reasonably optimistic that the replacements they're sending out will fix the issue (I haven't heard back on my support ticket yet but I would think System76, small as they are, are a Monday-Friday operation.)

EDIT: It's been an hour an Wifi is still working great, so I'm pretty confident the fix linked above is the solution. Don't know which option above is what's actually making it work (I suspect it's the enable_diversity=1, since I had already tried disabling bluetooth before) but in any event I recommend anyone having problems with their Killer wifi do this - it's 1000% better now.
    Last edited by nkasprak; August 24th, 2013 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks for the info on the keyboard replacement. I noticed the same issues so just sent off a message to System76 support.

Another bug with the trackpad I've noticed is that clicking doesn't work after waking up from an automatic suspend state. It works fine after waking up from a user-initiated suspend state. Anyone else experiencing this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast