Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you supporting the Ubuntu Edge campaign?

Beans

Are you supporting the Ubuntu Edge campaign?

Ubuntu Forums has a huge member base. But how many Ubuntu enthusiasts have committed to support Canonical's Ubuntu Edge campaign?

I'll be up front: I don't use Ubuntu Linux (I did early on); I use Kubuntu; but I am a Linux fan and supporter. I want one of these phones; to have what I am sure is going to be a piece of history. I contributed for one Ubuntu Edge phone.

The campaign goal of raising $32 million dollars in just one month may sound impossible, but it really isn't. Even if you can't afford to contribute at the levels that would get you one of these phones, your contribution will help ensure that history can be made here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Are you supporting the Ubuntu Edge campaign?

Great idea.
    But too expensive.
    I don't have money to spare on something which I can use next year. Especially not when I haven't seen any real prototype of it.
    If I had that kind of money lying around then sure why not, but as things are right now - it's just not worth it for me personally.
    They say the pen is mightier than the sword...but Steven Seagal is mightier than the Pen AND the Sword. http://tinyurl.com/ybnsx2w
    Don't have Dropbox or any cloud-hosting yet? Click this -->http://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTE1MDE3NzY5

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Expensive phone is expensive.

Sure it's got great specs, and is very versatile, but how much? I suspect it won't meet it's funding target, they've just priced themselves way out of the mass-appeal market and are just going for the super-committed-Ubuntu-diehard or very wealthy must-have-bling-early-adopter market. Not sure if there's US$32 million worth of that out there, sadly.

I wouldn't mind a phone running this software on this hardware, but I think we'll probably have to wait for one of the big OEMs to come out with it.

Beans

I wish that it succeeds, it is a very cool idea. But my current phone costs only $50.. I would be more interested in upgrading to a Firefox phone if and when it is available in Canada. I am not big on phones and just don't have that kind of money, but I will definitely mention it to my rich friends who are into gadgets.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've pitched in; yes it's a lot of money and you have to wait til next year, but I have used Ubuntu for years, I want to support them and I view it as payback for the free operating system.
    Not sure that they will get over the line and I see the negatives but I'd like them to give it a go and stick two fingers up to the rest of the computing world...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd love to get one and I think it's a great idea; however I am in no position to pay that much for a phone...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I took one for 625$. My dumbphone is getting too old, I'll have to replace it any way. I hope the campaign succeeds, but I'm not that optimist at the moment.

Beans
    Distro

Btw, why don't you set a poll?

Beans

I stopped buying touch screen only phones this year. I wont buy a phone that doesn't have a hardware keyboard. I'm happy enough with Android and am not convinced that Cannonical has what it takes to create a mainstream phone with lots of apps. The hardaware specs seem great, but that's only going to be good if the apps are good too.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by John_McCourt View Post
    am not convinced that Cannonical has what it takes to create a mainstream phone with lots of apps.
    Good thing then that's not what they are trying to do.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast