Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Debian Control File: How to tell amd64 arch systems they depend on libudev1:i386

Beans

Debian Control File: How to tell amd64 arch systems they depend on libudev1:i386

Hi All,

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the proper way to agnosticly tell any system that is installing my .deb package that it depends on the 32 bit version of libudev. My control file looks something like this:
    Code:
    Package: my-package
    Version: 1.3-16
    Section: non-free/misc
    Priority: optional
    Architecture: i386
    Installed-Size: 350
    Depends: libudev1
    Maintainer: me <me@me.com>
    Description:
     This is my package
    This package is intended to be able to be installed on ubuntu 12.04, 12.10 and 13.04, 32 and 64 bit arch on all 3. What I want to do is change
    Code:
    Depends: libudev1
    to
    Code:
    Depends: libudev1:i386
    but that doesn't seem to work the way I think it should.

Am I missing something obvious here?

I know those operating systems have libudev installed by default, but if it's a 64 bit OS it won't have the 32 bit versions of libudev that I've linked my binaries against. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can solve this without building different binaries and/or having mutliple .deb installers for different architectures?

Please let me know if there's anything important I left out or if you have any questions. Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Debian Control File: How to tell amd64 arch systems they depend on libudev1:i386

I'm not in front of a Linux machine to test this out, but I think that might be part of ia32-libs on a 64-bit system. Someone feel free to correct me if that's not the case.

Beans

Re: Debian Control File: How to tell amd64 arch systems they depend on libudev1:i386

Quote Originally Posted by lukeiamyourfather View Post
    I'm not in front of a Linux machine to test this out, but I think that might be part of ia32-libs on a 64-bit system. Someone feel free to correct me if that's not the case.
    Thanks for the response.

I had considered adding ia32-libs as a dependency but the problem is I don't want my users to have to install a 500 some odd MB package just for one library. There are other problems with this solution as well. If I were to mark the package as dependent on ia32-libs then my 32 bit users would install that package even though they don't need to since libudev is installed by default on ubuntu 12.04-13.04 (hopefully the user didn't remove it!). I really just need to make sure there is some i386 (not amd64) version of libudev installed on any machine my package is installed on.

Let me reiterate my problem and requirements here:

My program is only built for i386, if it is installed on a amd64 machine it is run in 32 bit compatibility mode and relies on the 32 bit version of certain libraries to be installed on the amd64 machine (in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu or whatever it is) so the dependencies of my binaries can be resolved.
    1. Debian package must install on 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems (same package, not a i386 version and amd64 version)
    2. Debian package must install the 32 bit version of libudev0 or libudev1

Any ideas? I'm not opposed to something a bit hacky as long as it solves this problem. Oh god I can't believe I just said that.

Thanks again!

Beans

Try this:

Code:
    Depends:libudev1 [i386]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by marshzor View Post
    Thanks for the response.

I had considered adding ia32-libs as a dependency but the problem is I don't want my users to have to install a 500 some odd MB package just for one library. There are other problems with this solution as well. If I were to mark the package as dependent on ia32-libs then my 32 bit users would install that package even though they don't need to since libudev is installed by default on ubuntu 12.04-13.04 (hopefully the user didn't remove it!). I really just need to make sure there is some i386 (not amd64) version of libudev installed on any machine my package is installed on.

Let me reiterate my problem and requirements here:

My program is only built for i386, if it is installed on a amd64 machine it is run in 32 bit compatibility mode and relies on the 32 bit version of certain libraries to be installed on the amd64 machine (in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu or whatever it is) so the dependencies of my binaries can be resolved.
    1. Debian package must install on 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems (same package, not a i386 version and amd64 version)
    2. Debian package must install the 32 bit version of libudev0 or libudev1

Any ideas? I'm not opposed to something a bit hacky as long as it solves this problem. Oh god I can't believe I just said that.

Thanks again!
    You could try:

Code:
    Depends: ia32-libs [amd64]
    This way ia32-libs wouldn't be installed on an i386 system. And would be installed only on an amd64 system.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by artbio View Post
    Try this:

Code:
    Depends:libudev1 [i386]

That's a good idea but I get an error from dpkg-deb when I have that line in my control file:

Code:
    dpkg-deb: error: parsing file 'build/my-package/DEBIAN/control' near line 7 package 'my-package': `Depends' field, syntax error after reference to package `libudev0'
    dpkg-deb version:
    Code:
    $ dpkg-deb --version
    Debian `dpkg-deb' package archive backend version 1.16.10 (i386).
    This is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or
    here's some info about my machine:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux Latitude-E6400 3.8.0-29-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 13 23:12:18 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux

Beans

You could try:

Code:
    Depends: ia32-libs [amd64]
    This way ia32-libs wouldn't be installed on an i386 system. And would be installed only on an amd64 system.
    I really really like this solution and I was definitely excited when I read your post so thanks! Unfortunately, dpkg-deb is returning an error when I attempt to add ia32-libs [amd64] to my dependency list. In fact, it just doesn't seem to like "[".

Code:
    dpkg-deb: error: parsing file 'build/my-package/DEBIAN/control' near line 7 package 'my-package':
     `Depends' field, syntax error after reference to package `ia32-libs'
    (Repeating this information for clarity)
    dpkg-deb version:
    Code:
    $ dpkg-deb --version
    Debian `dpkg-deb' package archive backend version 1.16.10 (i386).
    This is free software; see the GNU General Public License version 2 or
    here's some info about my machine:
    Code:
    $ uname -a
    Linux Latitude-E6400 3.8.0-29-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Tue Aug 13 23:12:18 UTC 2013 i686 i686 i686 GNU/Linux
    Any idea what's going on? Where did you learn about using [amd64] rather than :amd64, I've never come across that before. Is there some documentation that I'm missing?

Beans

I found some useful documentation here and here and I changed my Architecture field to
    Code:
    Architecture: any
    but I'm having the same exact issue. I must be doing something wrong but I can't quite track it down. Any ideas?

Edit: forgot to mention that I also tried using
    Code:
    Depends: ia32-libs [any-amd64]
    but that didn't work either.

Beans

I am sorry for giving a wrong solution. I see now that you are trying to edit the control file on a ".deb" package. The syntax I was using works for the control file inside the debian folder you could use to build the actual deb files. Where there is a "Build-Depends:" field.

Now taking a look at both the i386 and the amd64 deb files for google-earth. You can download them from this webpage -> http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html
    You see that there is ia32-libs on the amd64.deb file. The i386.deb file on the other hand does not have ia32-libs on the "Depends:" field of it's control file. You could try the same approach.

Beans

I am sorry for giving a wrong solution. I see now that you are trying to edit the control file on a ".deb" package. The syntax I was using works for the control file inside the debian folder you could use to build the actual deb files. Where there is a "Build-Depends:" field.

Now taking a look at both the i386 and the amd64 deb files for google-earth. You can download them from this webpage -> http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html
    You see that there is ia32-libs on the amd64.deb file. The i386.deb file on the other hand does not have ia32-libs on the "Depends:" field of it's control file. You could try the same approach.

Very interesting. Since I really want to only have one .deb file to distribute I think maybe I'll just mark my package as dependent on ia32-libs. I wonder what behavior that has on i386 machines though? I'm building a package now to try it out, I'll edit this response once I'm done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast