Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Default application

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Default application

When i try to change the default application for any kind of file (here i tried with mp3) it gives the following error

Error while setting "setting VLC media player" as default application : Failed to create file '/home/may/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.PU9W1W' : Permission denied

(kindly see the attachment).

When i try to do the same from settings (default application), it crashes. The problem occurs for any application.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Default application

Maybe you need to be logged in as root in order to change that default setting.
    Have you tried that?

Just a wild guess on my part.

Good luck,

Crusty
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

It might be a problem with VLC, does VLC work without being set to default? If not try uninstalling it and then installing it again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steamer360 View Post
    It might be a problem with VLC, does VLC work without being set to default? If not try uninstalling it and then installing it again.
    Maybe, but the OP wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    ...When i try to do the same from settings (default application), it crashes. The problem occurs for any application.
    It seems as though he doesn't have permission to set default applications from the GUI for anything.
    If he can do it as root, then it may be that his user permissions are a bit hosed. If he can't do it as root, maybe his installation is hosed.

It might be helpful if he could attach a similar image with his Permissions tab active.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; August 18th, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.

Beans
    Distro

What i earlier considered, as a simple permission error, now seems even more complicated.

(1) I can not change default application of ANY file type. i have tried with mp3 and jpg.
    (2) from root, i can change it but it is applicable only for the root user. when i am back to the user level it remains unchanged.
    (3) If i try to change through system settings, system settings window crashes.
    (4) The system is not able to copy / paste files to any usb drive. It gives error that the usb drive is read only.
    (5) If i 'send to' that usb drive then it is possible to transfer file.
    (6) When i use the same usb drive on other system, it works perfectly well.
    (7) VLC is working normaly when i play the same file using 'open with' VLC.

This is newly installed system which i had done on a friend's computer to introduce her to linux but i am facing so many strange errors.
    I am supposed to return the comp today but it seems to still have many imperfections.
    I am attaching some snapshots.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 3dmatrix; August 18th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.

Beans

If you have set this system up with more than one user, there may have been be a problem with the correct permission levels being properly inherited when you added users. You could try adding another user and taking special care to pay close attention to how his/her permission levels are set up during the process. If everything goes well for him, you could remove the user/users whose permission levels are causing problems.

~~~ HOWEVER ~~~

If I was having as many problems with a new installation as you are, I wouldn't waste anymore time on it. I would start over and reinstall from scratch with a new installation.
    You could spend several more days trying to fix all these problems, and possibly discover several more problems that you don't know about yet, and finally find yourself having to reinstall anyway.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Old Fart View Post
    If you have set this system up with more than one user, there may have been be a problem with the correct permission levels being properly inherited when you added users. You could try adding another user and taking special care to pay close attention to how his/her permission levels are set up during the process. If everything goes well for him, you could remove the user/users whose permission levels are causing problems.
    Multiple user has not been created. It is a default system install.

If I was having as many problems with a new installation as you are, I wouldn't waste anymore time on it. I would start over and reinstall from scratch with a new installation.
    You could spend several more days trying to fix all these problems, and possibly discover several more problems that you don't know about yet, and finally find yourself having to reinstall anyway.
    Well your advise makes sense. But if i have to reinstall the system then why not dump this version of Ubuntu. It is Ubuntu Kylin an official version of Ubuntu especially made for Chinese users. As my friend is a Chinese i wanted her to use it. But if i am facing so much trouble with it then she (who is new to linux) will get crazy. May be a normal Ubuntu with Chinese language support might be better. UbuntuKylin, it seems, is still carrying a lot of bugs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3dmatrix View Post
    ...Well your advise makes sense. But if i have to reinstall the system then why not dump this version of Ubuntu. It is Ubuntu Kylin an official version of Ubuntu especially made for Chinese users. As my friend is a Chinese i wanted her to use it. But if i am facing so much trouble with it then she (who is new to linux) will get crazy. May be a normal Ubuntu with Chinese language support might be better. UbuntuKylin, it seems, is still carrying a lot of bugs.
    I agree. Installing a version of Ubuntu, especially one with which you are already familiar, that has Chinese language support would seem to be a much better idea. It would be easier for you to help her with problems in the future, and she is less likely to perceive you as a someone who really doesn't know what the hell they are doing.

Best of luck to both of you,

Crusty

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Crusty. Well, I would have certainly installed the normal Ubuntu for her but the problem is, Chinese people are used to some very different kinds of softwares. In fact i again installed the Ubuntu Kylin OS and gave it to her and this time i did not have all those problems but she was still not very satisfied as she was not able to use many XYZ softwares. And perhaps she felt life will be useless without that More over she found it so strange that windows softwares will not work in Ubuntu (i purposely did not tell her about wine else she will forever depend on wine and windows softwares and that will beat the very purpose of migrating to linux). It was funny to see her trying to click on every possible exe in her windows partition and say "Why is it not working ?". But the main problem that most chinese people face is online shoping. Here banks ask their customers to download some exe etc and use it on their windows comp for authorisation (i think it just installs a browser plugin). But i do not know how to help her with that.

Beans

I'm not surprised to read any of what you wrote. In fact, I expected it to happen. I came to the conclusion many years ago that Linux is for geeks, by geeks, and of geeks. It's also, in my opinion, the best operating system available. But it isn't for everyone. The best thing about Linux is that, if you're enough of a geek, you can get under its hood, make it stand up and dance, and it will rock your world. The worst thing about Linux is that you have to get under its hood just to get it on its feet, and if you're not enough of a geek to do that, it will leave you frustrated and disappointed. Now, instead of "giving" Linux to people who know nothing about it, I tell them to read every single word in Linux is Not Windows and if they're still interested enough in Linux to put in the time and effort it requires to learn how to make it work for them, then I'll be happy to answer their questions. Life is too short to spend days on end customizing an installation for someone who will never be happy with it because they'll never learn how to make it dance by themselves. Please understand that even though some of what I've written is stated as fact, all of it is just my crusty old opinion.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; August 20th, 2013 at 04:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast