Thread: Getting constant emails "Facebook login from Facebook Chat"

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Getting constant emails "Facebook login from Facebook Chat"

Hi All,

Posting this question here because I really don't know where's the best place to ask this, and there's a good chance that someone here will have an answer. Asking Facebook directly and getting an answer is close to impossible.

I have configured my Pidgin to connect to Facebook's chat using XMPP, as per their instructions.
    It works fine, however, I getting email very frequently when my Pidgin connects or re-connects to Facebook Chat. Usually when I move from wire to wireless connection. The emails are very generic and unhelpful, they usually go like this:
    It looks like someone logged into "Facebook Chat" on Thursday, 22 August 2013 at 09:04.
    If this was you, please disregard this email.
    If this wasn't you, please secure your account, as someone else may be accessing it.
    Thanks,
    The Facebook Security Team

No source IP, no XMPP resource name.... nothing. The first time I got worried, so I changed my passwords and the whole lot... I then changed the password a second time but then realized it wasn't that someone else was using it, it was my Pidgin re-connecting.

Is anyone else getting this?
    Does anyone know why this is happening?
    Does anyone know how to avoid this?

Thanks very much.

Beans

Re: Getting constant emails "Facebook login from Facebook Chat"

Yes. I am getting this as well with Empathy. One workaround is to go to Facebook and under Settings->Security Settings->Login Notifications, uncheck "Email".

Note, however, that you then lose the feature where if a malicious user logs into your account from a new device, you will not get notified...

Beans

Re: Getting constant emails "Facebook login from Facebook Chat"

I am getting the same emails, however I don't want to remove the notifications in case my account gets hijacked. For now, I think the best is to create a mail rule that filters this email only if it says 'Facebook Chat'.