Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

I would have liked to see it go through, but oh well. The desktop-on-the-mobile idea is absolutely brilliant IMO and should be pursued hotly. Even if only as an Android app, for starters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

It's not a failure if you look how much attention it got. It was a very smart advertising stunt, a win-win situation.

Beans

I would strongly disagree w/ Ubuntu Edge being a failure. It raised the most cash in the quickest amount of time. Now that news of the failure is on the public's mind, I'm sure something will ignite edge into being. I'm also hopeful that this isn't the end of Ubuntu Mobile. I also think it would be nice to have a device that is solely ran by Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

What it proved is how limited the need for such a device is. In one month, they raised $12 million or so and most of that was made in the first week. After that, interest pretty much dried up. Not very appealing from a business perspective. If a company made the same phones for the same $32 million dollars and tried to sell them retail for the same price, do you think they would have had much luck?

Another thing, for an ordinary phone user who doesnt use Linux on any other device, what exactly are the benefits of paying close to $700 for a device made by an unheard of company (non-Linux users, keep in mind) that has as its trump card convergence with the same unheard of company's PC OS and yet to be released TV OS? Yeah, none. Same really goes for non-Ubuntu Linux users. I love Linux and use it and nothing else, but Unity is an appalling disaster if you ask me. You couldnt pay me to use a Unity device. Plus, if I use Linux but not Ubuntu, will it sync nicely with my main pc? Something tells me that it wouldnt be any better than an Android device. Convergence is a bad idea for many reasons, but in this case because it makes it so any new device will only be useful to current Ubuntu users and lets be honest, there really arent that many of them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"Unity an appalling disaster"...give me a break...just because you are closed minded about it doesn't mean that many do not enjoy using unity because we do indeed...in fact i find ubuntu with unity FAR SUPERIOR to ubuntu's old 2 panel with fan out apps menu...i left ubuntu for mint originally because of that but quickly returned to ubuntu when unity desktop was brought into the picture...
    Unity desktop is very Mac like...and i like macs so for me it's the best thing since sliced bread

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

// Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The campaign was doomed from the start.

Coming up with a product (wonderful or not) targeted to a consumer base that can't afford it, is a classic marketing mistake, and in the real world, would probably cost the plan writer his/her job (plus whoever signed off on it).

But hey, the world of "open source", isn't judged by the reality of a marketplace as general a rule, so I guess it's "O.K" - though since +/- $32 million is chump change for a major corporation in this day and age, I'm surprised (not really) some great open source benefactor didn't come to the project's rescue.

If it was, as some critics feel, a publicity stunt, some heads ought to roll at Canonical too, for battering around the "little" people who actually thought this was a big deal.
    Last edited by OrangeCrate; August 24th, 2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: syntax

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    What it proved is how limited the need for such a device is. In one month, they raised $12 million or so and most of that was made in the first week. After that, interest pretty much dried up. Not very appealing from a business perspective. If a company made the same phones for the same $32 million dollars and tried to sell them retail for the same price, do you think they would have had much luck?
    Yeah if this prove "limited" I wonder how well your favourite Linux desktop distro (or any Linux desktop project for that matter) would fare in a campaign like that. So it proves that Linux desktop is a waste of time? In fact it is doing better than any crowd funding project in the same time span. how then can you draw your conclusion?

Another thing, for an ordinary phone user who doesnt use Linux on any other device, what exactly are the benefits of paying close to $700 for a device made by an unheard of company (non-Linux users, keep in mind) that has as its trump card convergence with the same unheard of company's PC OS..
    This was described as a "formula one" phone aimed at enthusiasts, the ordinary users are slow to adopt to new technology but once the idea catches on they will go for it if it has merits. If everyone takes your approach there will never be any new idea or new innovation because first (or second third) runs usually fails.

I love Linux and use it and nothing else, but Unity is an appalling disaster if you ask me. You couldnt pay me to use a Unity device

Well yeah suppose I think xfce and kde are terrible does it follow that it is some kind of universal truth and that these projects should die? It is only my opinion (actually not, even though I am not a big fan for the "desktop paradigm" but just to make a point).

What do you think if I show up constantly to whine about them while all I need to do is to switch to something else? Now at least I have something else to switch to, now we have more choices. In pre Unity/gnome shell days everything on the offer kind of looked the same. With Unity/gnome shell we now have more options, it is not that Canonical takes away your options, it gives more by creating something different and you are free to take it or leave it. How can this be bad? It is the Unity haters who try to take away options by returning the world to a point where all DE had the same uniform Windows looks and feel (they even go for typically blue or green colours) There are far more Windows-ish DE around, why can't you people just pick one and leave it at that? We want our choices too.

The incessant Complaints of gnome2 nacrophiles are getting petty and tiresome. News flash: gnome 2 would have died anyway even without Unity, gnome killed it and gnome shell actually looks a lot more like a "phone interface" than Unity.Unity looks kind of Mac like, which is not a phone interface.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 23rd, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The thing that IS petty and tiresome is the name-calling. If you don't like the complaints, then answer them honestly rather than dodging the question. Otherwise, the complaints will never end, and rightfully so.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast