Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Beans

Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

I think the failure of the Ubuntu Edge campaign proves that no one is really interested in a Ubuntu smartphone nor will it be the immediate future for everyone.
    Sure the old desktop paradigm is slowly dying off and tablets are taking off but there is still plenty of stuff to do on the desktop for Canonical to improve on.
    In stead of living on cloud 9 with all this convergence nonsense, right now its not the time for Ubuntu edge or anything like it.
    Time to go back supporting desktops like it used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Beans

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    I think the failure of the Ubuntu Edge campaign proves that no one is really interested in a Ubuntu smartphone nor will it be the immediate future for everyone.
    Sure the old desktop paradigm is slowly dying off and tablets are taking off but there is still plenty of stuff to do on the desktop for Canonical to improve on.
    In stead of living on cloud 9 with all this convergence nonsense, right now its not the time for Ubuntu edge or anything like it.
    Time to go back supporting desktops like it used to.
    If that counts as a failure I suppose desktop Linux as a whole is a failure. It was even more dismal when Ubuntu got started, so why even started? So the lesson of life is don't try anything different so we will never fail (Homer Simpson). We should all just pack it in and go home, oh, don't forget to swap out your Linux distro for something more popular like Windows or Mac before you pack it in.

Beans
    Distro

Better to try and fail than to never try at all.

I don't think the convergence ideas are "nonsense." But, hey, you can always use something other than Ubuntu if what Canonical and Shuttleworth are trying to do bothers you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by malspa View Post
    ... you can always use something other than Ubuntu if what Canonical and Shuttleworth are trying to do bothers you.
    This may get me an infraction but I suspect OP has no better place to hang out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I must be making some sort of progress. There was a time when posts that started threads like this made me angry. Now, I just laugh.

I am using Ubuntu desktop 13.10 (under development). The update two or three days ago brought in a newer version of Grub. Today's update brought in a new kernel upgrade. Ubuntu 13.10 desktop is now running on Linux kernel 3.11.0 and will continue to track the 3.11.0 kernel development. And we have unity-system-compositor (xmir). I have seen a 15 - 20% drop in memory usage when comparing Raring Ringtail with Precise Pangolin. All this mobile stuff is bringing massive improvements to Ubuntu on the desktop. And it is happening because there is only one Ubuntu platform for desktop and mobile devices.

The Ubuntu development community (Canonical devs + community devs) has never stopped supporting Ubuntu on the desktop. Perhaps people who say things like that are looking back to the desktop look of 10.10. Yes, that look is no longer supported.

Let us not forget that Ubuntu depends very much on what are called Upstream projects. Lack of improvement upstream holds Ubuntu back. How many Ubuntu bugs are actually upstream bugs that are not being fixed?

I like Ubuntu. I am thankful for the gift of Ubuntu. I like the Unity interface. I would buy a Ubuntu superphone, if the price was right. I would have brought a Ubuntu Edge if the campaign was close to succeeding. Should I buy an Apple or Microsoft product? Is that the alternative being offered? Is that what is being recommended?

The key component in Canonical stratergy is not hardware but the Ubuntu convergent platform. That is not failing. Ubuntu Touch is on target for being available for mobile devices by the end of the year or earlier. Full convergence of Ubuntu Touch with the desktop will happen during 2014.

It will not matter whether we have a high spec, expensive device encrusted with diamonds or a lower spec, more affordable device, both will be running the same Ubuntu platform. This is no different from right now when we run the same Ubuntu distribution on differently specified hardware.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 22nd, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

3.11.0? that's good to hear. i read that AMD improved opensource drivers in 3.11 kernel.
    KDE also has mobile options (plasma touch, homerun launcher). if they finnaly do made that tablet i think it would benefit desktop development there as well.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You're kidding, right?

1. The Edge was a super-premium smartphone, and the price probably put a few people off. I didn't pledge a dollar, not only because I'm skint but also because my priorities have changed away from having a superphone and more towards "having a midrange phone and paying off some debts". If this was a regular $300 Ubuntu phone I would have pledged the whole amount for it. I can't be alone.

2. Not many people want to pay $700 now for something that wont be delivered until next year, by a company that has never made hardware before. And let's face it, Canonical doesn't have a good history of seeing a project through to completion.

3. Bloomberg was interested to the tune of $80,000, as were thousands of other enthusiasts who raised more than 10 million dollars. That's not "nobody".

4. The market will decide if the Ubuntu phone is worthwhile. So far the market has not had a chance to see an Ubuntu phone. Carriers all over the world are interested in the platform, at least enough to want a seat at the table.

5. A multi-device strategy makes sense. The halo effect is useful. It doesn't make sense to stick to one market that is stagnating when there is still time to carve a slice of a growth market.

6. I would like to see more excitement on the desktop, really, but this will come naturally as mobile features get ported across to the desktop.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Ubuntu Edge is not an ordinary mobile, Its a smart device which can work as mobile+desktop, even with dual boot of Android + Ubuntu Touch. I feel the given time is less and many people might already invested in some other devices like Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5.....

It is a good concept why to have two device mobile ad PC, instead of that to have one device which satisfy both mobile and pc. This campaign might success if it before S4 and iPhone-5. I feel sad. But hope this will come back later.

Nowadays all mobile devices they are giving the upgrade support upto 1 or 2 lelvel only after that they won't give any upgrade option and you must change the device if you want latest version of OS. But if a device like Ubuntu Edge you will get the latest update any time unless your hardware is not supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Not to be abrupt, but why do people who get something as good as Ubuntu without paying for it want to nose around in Canonical's business decisions?

They need to turn a profit. No profit, no Ubuntu. They can sell doughnuts as far as I care.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast