Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    This was described as a "formula one" phone aimed at enthusiasts, the ordinary users are slow to adopt to new technology but once the idea catches on they will go for it if it has merits. If everyone takes your approach there will never be any new idea or new innovation because first (or second third) runs usually fails.
    Have you ever seen someone with an OpenMoko? Me, neither. That was also promoted as a "phone aimed at enthusiasts," and it sells for about half the price of the proposed Edge.

Here's a review of projects intended to build an open-source phone. Even companies as large as Nokia and Intel were involved in these projects, but they have all fallen by the wayside.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Re: Now that the Ubuntu Edge has failed can we please stop with the mobile stuff?

I dont see why people feel so threatened by mobile devices, desktops are still here mobile is a new type of computing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by rai_shu2 View Post
    The thing that IS petty and tiresome is the name-calling. If you don't like the complaints, then answer them honestly rather than dodging the question. Otherwise, the complaints will never end, and rightfully so.
    He did...he pointed out that unity is mac-like and mac is NOT a phone or mobile environment...and neither is unity...
    Hello...attention! It's a DOCK that is all it is...Docks have been around long before any mobile environments were...

Just because it is on the left...instead of the bottom, does not make it a non-dock or a mobile desktop...or non-intuitive or non-mouse friendly...
    My friend has a mac and he put his mac-dock on the left...i asked him why...he said, it seems to make more sense that way...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 24th, 2013 at 02:51 AM.

Beans

For me I hope this is a lesson to Conical, stop this forcing of nonsensical stuff on us and actually work on what you have.
    Why not ensure Mir wont break app compatibility?
    Why not stabilize Unity and make Ubuntu overall a better experience?
    Stabilize what you have, its something more urgent then convergence

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    For me I hope this is a lesson to Conical, stop this forcing of nonsensical stuff on us and actually work on what you have.
    A lesson for what? That you never try so you'll never fail?
    By your logic it must be a preposterous idea to use Linux on desktops,and much much more so 10 years ago, so why did those people even try? Why did Ubuntu even exist? You can always use Mac or Windows as your machine is meant to, right? The market has voted, hasn't it?

It is a great PR exercise if nothing else as now everyone interested in tech and gadgets would have heard of Ubuntu and convergence, it is a big boost of Canonical's profile as a player in the mobile market comparing to a month ago.

Why not ensure Mir wont break app compatibility?
    Now there would be no point for Mir if it is not because of convergence, so this is rather absurd a suggestion of yours.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 24th, 2013 at 09:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Preston Tucker presented the Tucker 48, sold 51 cars and went bankrupt.

What a loser.

Pffft! Those innovations? They were gimmicks. Nobody uses them today!

Mark, learn your lesson! Nobody would ever want a collapsible steering columns,, directional headlights ...

And 65 years later nobody would know exactly where each of those 51 cars are, or pay $1.5 million for one of them.
    Last edited by QIII; August 24th, 2013 at 09:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I would drive a Tucker.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Preston Tucker presented the Tucker 48, sold 51 cars and went bankrupt.

What a loser.

Pffft! Those innovations? They were gimmicks. Nobody uses them today!

Mark, learn your lesson! Nobody would ever want a collapsible steering columns,, directional headlights ...

And 65 years later nobody would know exactly where each of those 51 cars are, or pay $1.5 million for one of them.
    UGH, look the Edge was a PHONE!
    You know those things that have existed 100 years or so?
    There was nothing special about the edge, nothing....
    Get over it, its not the second coming of Christ nor the best thing since sliced bread...
    It was just a lame apple wannabe product, like Canonical wants Ubuntu to be.
    If you really valued linux then move to a system that actually works like Debian.
    Ubuntu has pretty much shed away its community and Canonical rather work on imaginary $700 phones then actual working systems, Its time for something else to take the stage.
    Ubuntu is now a dog and its time to put it out to pasture.
    Yeah I dont use Ubuntu anymore with good reason, its not shown any real improvement and really has become an eyesore.
    Canonical can easily fix the issues in thier system but no they rather go off to lala land and not focus on the task of making sure their systems are not crap.
    I am very willing to criticize ubuntu as I know it can do better.
    If it were not too busy chasing butterflies we could have something great.

I just feel this attitude of Canonical was doing something innovative is pure nonsense, there was nothing special about the edge thus why it failed.
    Last edited by MadmanRB; August 25th, 2013 at 04:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Edge campaign was far from being a failure, it actually did what it was supposed to. It showed there was enough interest in that type of device that we may see something similar in the future.

I guess you didn't read what the Edge was about, it just isn't an ordinary smartphone. The specifications where quite a bit ahead of what is available now, or for the foreseeable future. It also had the ability to dual boot android and Ubuntu, and at the same time double as a very small form factor computer.

It's fine to sit on the sidelines, and criticize Ubuntu, but if you feel it can do better, why not help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm detecting a pattern here with several posters, usually the same few. It goes like this: "My personal opinion is universal cosmic truth, and all must agree with my self-evident righteousness, or you are undeserving of life! ...oh, and by the way, Ubuntu sucks, and all who use it fall short of my self-evident cosmic brilliance."

Those people probably don't know who they are, because there's something akin to Dunning-Kruger going on in their flawless cosmic brains, but I'll bet the rest of us mortals can figure it out.

BTW, I wish Canonical the best out of all this. It was a gamble, they knew it, and they took it. I don't pretend to know what they expected to achieve, or whether the upshot will turn out to be to their benefit, but I hope that it will. I want to see Canonical and Ubuntu prosper.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast