Thread: Installing a new HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Installing a new HDD

Hello Everyone
    I'm installing a new 500GB HDD. I'm dual booting Ubuntu 12.04 and CENTOS 6.4. Is there a way to have both OS's access this HDD?

Thank YOU

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing a new HDD

You are dual booting centOS and Ubuntu on a single hard drive? And then you are adding another physical drive?
    I don't see any problem with that. Turn off the computer and plug in the hard drive. Boot into each OS and see if they could detect it (and it should be).
    The only problem here I think is the different mount paths used by ubuntu and centos. Or if you are using LVM, that's another story.
    The Philippine Team
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Installing a new HDD

If you create ext3/4 partitions in the new HD and entries in /etc/fstab in both OSs to mount them you will be able to access the partition(s) from both. However, there is one potential problem that may create a complication.

The UID of the first created user account in Ubuntu is 1000. Fedora, from which Red Hat and ultimately Centos is derived, used to make the UID of the first user 500, but it has been 1000 for a year or two now. As Red Hat/Centos is never based on the latest version of Fedora, it's possible that your user account in Centos has a UID of 500, in which case you will have to sort out your permissions, perhaps with a custom usergroup in both OSs. If your Centos UID is 1000, then ignore the foregoing. Quickest way to check is from the terminal in both:

Code:
    id

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.