Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how can i right click password protect a file/folder in ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: how can i right click password protect a file/folder in ubuntu?

thanks Dennis N! your help is appreciated! but in a modest sense, what i had expected was to be able to stop anyone from opening my files in the laptop while also being able to give them the privilege of hanging around with my machine

like, it would be hectic to every time unzip or de-crypt the zipped or encrypted file! but seems that ubuntu does not have such functionality (just prevent anyone opening a file in ubuntu system) which would impress me if there had been a one

so what i should do now is- the very first time i sit in front of my machine i open the "locked box" (like a one encrypted by creeptkeeper) and not forget to unmount it at last!! HURRAY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by tojonukokhadush View Post
    like, why isn't there so simple program to password lock individual file/folder in ubuntu? what's the big deal in that?
    No "big deal" at all. Ubuntu is Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) so you are free to write such an application if you wish.

The rest of us are happy to accept that GNU/Linux is a secure multi-user system and so, if you set permissions correctly, no other users can access any of your files.

Beans

Actually, if I where you I would just create a new user called guest, and they would not be able to reach any files within your home folder, unless you mess up the user permission for guests. That is probably much easier than encrypting and decrypting or password protecting all files that you don't want them to see.

Beans

Or, you could keep all your sensitive files on a flash drive, and keep it on a chain around your neck, or otherwise secure it on your person (use your imagination)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

okay eternal243! that was quite responsible answer and sorry Dennis N dude, i didn't mean to trouble you!

Beans

What if I want to send a password-protected file to someone who uses Windows/Mac on a shared computer (it's not theirs) and I don't want anyone else but that person to be able to open this file but I don't want to make it an archive?

Beans

"i had expected was to be able to stop anyone from opening my files in the laptop while also being able to give them the privilege of hanging around with my machine"

This is what I do...
    - Multiple Accts (mine, visitors/guest, browsing)
    - I only use mine for sensitive data, access bank accts, etc. password protected and screen lock after x mins.
    - If I am just browsing the internet, I use the browsing acct. password protected and screen lock after x mins.
    - For friends, visitors, the other acct. No password protected at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12