Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help please is this a chkrootkit false positive - bindshell - not geek enough

Beans

help please is this a chkrootkit false positive - bindshell - not geek enough

Hi all

chkrootkit is reporting for the first time ever something "INFECTED". Rkhunter is I believe saying that all is basically well. I have been searching the interwebs all morning and to me it *appears* to be a flase positive, but I'm not at all geek enough to really know. Can you please help clear this up?? (THANKS in advance)

I'll try to be brief, but the circumstances are a bit complicated:
    I have a script that runs daily via anacron, which I have running after chkrootkit and rkhunter, which checks the chkrootkit log, which I have configured to report differences day to day (that is, my script checks the logs of chkrootkit and rkhunter instead of those emailing results to me); I *THINK* that yesterday NO issues were reported, though it is possible that it reported something and I didn't see it---I'm sorry but it would be a long story to explain why that is not certain, and I'm leary of making this long winded (tell me if you want the details). *But* last night I also happened to run "Software Updater", and so after that I updated rkhunter's DB by running rkhunter --propupd.

Here I think I should interrupt this narative and show what's going on:

This from chkrootkit:
    Code:
    Checking `bindshell'...      INFECTED (PORTS:  4000)
    Abridged output of chkroot -x showing the only lines that contained "4000":
    Code:
    ### Output of: /bin/netstat -an
    ###
    Active Internet connections (servers and established)
    Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State      
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4000            0.0.0.0:*                          

More info:
    Code:
    $ sudo netstat -pan|grep 4000
    udp        0      0 0.0.0.0:4000            0.0.0.0:*                           3044/dhclient
    Code:
    $ sudo lsof -i:4000
    COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
    dhclient 3044 root   20u  IPv4  17802      0t0  UDP *:4000
    Code:
    $ ps -F -p 3044
    UID        PID  PPID  C    SZ   RSS PSR STIME TTY          TIME CMD
    root      3044  1153  0  2548  3704   2 10:33 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/dhclient -d -4 -sf /usr/lib/NetworkManager/nm-dhcp-client.action -pf /var/run/sendsigs.omit.d/network-manager.dhclient-eth1.pid -lf /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient-54df5c86-b0d6-46f4-9189-af6493b1be73-eth1.lease -cf /var/run/nm-dhclient-eth1.conf eth1

In case it's helpful here are lines excerpted from rkhunter's log running it just now (note that rkhunter --propupd was done last night so if something was compromised then it might not be showing it):
    Code:
    [13:07:28] Info: Starting test name 'deleted_files'
    [13:07:30]   Checking running processes for deleted files    [ Warning ]
    [13:07:30] Warning: The following processes are using deleted files:
    [13:07:30]          Process: /sbin/init    PID: 1    File: /var/log/upstart/dbus.log.1
    [13:07:30]          Process: /usr/bin/nautilus    PID: 24620    File: /home/samashley/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home
    [13:07:49]   Performing check for sniffer log files
    [13:07:49]     Checking for file '/usr/lib/libice.log'       [ Not found ]
    [13:07:49]     Checking for file '/dev/prom/sn.l'            [ Not found ]
    [13:07:49]     Checking for file '/dev/fd/.88/zxsniff.log'   [ Not found ]
    [13:07:49]   Checking for sniffer log files                  [ None found ]
    [13:07:49] Info: Starting test name 'trojans'
    [13:07:49] Performing trojan specific checks
    [13:07:49] Info: Using inetd configuration file '/etc/inetd.conf'
    [13:07:49] Info: Found service 'imap': it is inetd whitelisted.
    [13:07:49] Info: Found service 'pop3': it is inetd whitelisted.
    [13:07:49]   Checking for enabled inetd services             [ OK ]
    [13:08:03] Info: Starting test name 'packet_cap_apps'
    [13:08:03]   Checking for packet capturing applications      [ Warning ]
    [13:08:03] Warning: Process '/sbin/dhclient' (PID 3044) is listening on the network.

...Today I ran:
    Code:
    dpkg -S
    and it reported several packages installed on my system that contained dhclient (do you want me to list them?)
    Next I ran debsums on each of those packages and for each thing contained therein it returned "OK".

Is there anything else I should post? Thanks a lot for any help!!

Oops, edited because I almost forgot to say: this is a laptop running Ubuntu Studio 12.10 quantal 64 bit. I do have quite a few packages installed, and have lost track of which might conceivably be "listening" but I also have ufw and gufw and have installed some firewall rules that I got from a post somewhere in these forums (have forgotten exactly where), mainly I've tried to block most incoming traffic except what I use but don't block outgoing. In case it's important: I have to connect to the interwebs via a USB dongle broadband device (aka "surf stick").
    Last edited by a-you; August 21st, 2013 at 02:11 PM.

Beans

Re: help please is this a chkrootkit false positive - bindshell - not geek enough

bump...???

I realize the post was long; sorry. But if anybody knows I'd seriously appreciate it (thanks)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: help please is this a chkrootkit false positive - bindshell - not geek enough

@a-you,

Don't worry, it is false positive.

Do you run ICQ or alike at your box? If yes, it is normal.

Samiux

Beans

Whew. Thanks. Actually I don't have ICQ, nor other messaging app, but I do have various apps installed, probably too many.

I had searched for hours and come to the conclusion that it was most likely not a problem, but I had also read that rootkits often work by substituting a modified binary for some standard tool, and that's where I got stuck: I don't know enough to tell whether what dhclient is doing is what it's supposed to do, or whether it might be doing something else. So I thought it would be nice to have the opinion of somebody that was expert enough to know that. So thanks really a lot.

Beans
    Hidden!

IMHO you don't even have to launch into a treatise about raw sockets, broadcasting and such but saying "don't worry" without posting methods for an OP to verify things is not ever good. See
    Code:
    lsof -Pwlnp `pgrep dhclient` -ai
    for port / process / user details, verify package contents against those from a trusted repo if unsure, check your distros bug tracker for similar or related bugs and maybe patch it with a white list (https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...nd-notes-2531/). BTW in the case of ICQ its web site lists UDP port usage as "5190 and up" (5190-5200).

Beans

Thanks unspawn for that info. At this point there are no "INFECTED" warnings; I'd assume that's good, though best would be if I knew exactly why/why not. Anyway at this moment too
    Code:
    is not returning anything at all. I'm not sure if that's good, but I doubt it's bad. I'll assume it's fine unless I hear otherwise from you or others here. Anyway thanks really a lot to you and to samiux.

I did try to verify the contents of relevant packages by doing
    Code:
     dpkg -S
    to determine which contained "dhclient", and then checking those with debsums.
    Last edited by a-you; August 25th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.

Beans

Oh damn. Now again I don't know if I should be worrying, because I just ran across this:

"Quote:
    This utility [bindshell] allows users to open an interactive shell over a port, bypassing all system logging, thus making it possible for users to stealthy administer a machine.

Because of the mere definition of this, and the function of this, you can't trust ANY of the system binaries at this point. Bindshell does just what it's supposed to do, it provides a shell for users to do whatever they want with your system, INCLUDING replacing system binaries and the like.

The not so good part to this is this also can be run as a perl script, which means it doesn't ALWAYS have to listen to the port, it can simply listen to the port when the end user calls this."

This is nutty. If only I had a better idea of what to look for...

As I posted just above I *did* try to verify the packages that contained "dhclient" anywhere in them, and they checked out fine according to debsums. A real paranoid worry would be that this can be faked somehow, and the quote I pasted above mentions that it doesn't always have to be listening. So the tip from unspawn
    Code:
    would be then presumably also not be able to give useful results at the moment(??)

If any experts (including unspawn and/or samiux) might care to comment, and to explain why it's a false positive (assuming it is that) I'd much appreciate it! At the very least it would be nice to learn something new

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by a-you View Post
    As I posted just above I *did* try to verify the packages that contained "dhclient" anywhere in them, and they checked out fine according to debsums.
    If the state of the system isn't known, if security was lax to begin with, if there's tell-tale signs of a breach of security or if you're generally speaking unsure that what you see is what you run you can always boot a Live CD and then check hashes.

A real paranoid worry would be that this can be faked somehow, and
    Hashes are generated by debsums locally and after package installation. Still subverting a system requires recon and a point of entry be it physical access, a service with weak authentication or vulnerable web stack application. Often that'll leave traces, like replacing an item in /bin or /sbin requires action and root privileges, so IMHO this isn't about paranoia but about allaying fears by knowing how the system works and knowing how to verify system integrity.

the quote I pasted above mentions that it doesn't always have to be listening. So the tip from unspawn
    Code:
    would be then presumably also not be able to give useful results at the moment(??)
    There's two things: talking and doing. Talking about an issue gets you opinions and speculation while investigating an issue provides facts. In this case running lsof would tell you if dhclient is running and which port it uses and auditing the system should show you if there's reason for concern. Your distribution wiki (I always forget the URI) provides information on how to check things (package content hashes, user login records, system and service logs, files not owned by packages, user, process and network connection listings, etc, etc) and the CERT Intruder Detection Checklist, while decidedly ancient and generic, offers some instructions should you have no clue where to begin. Indeed you probably don't have a thing to worry about. The thing however is not that you should worry or not but know how to act when you do.

*Maybe also ponder ditching Chkrootkit (hasn't seen updates since 2009) for other better maintained auditing applications.

Beans

Unspawn your points are all well taken. Honestly I do try to be informed, but understanding how to do that accumulates over some time.

Actually I use integrit as well for keeping a snapshot of the state of the / file system. The curious lessen learned in this case---in case anybody else reads this and might benefit---was this:

Rkhunter and chkrootkit are run by anacron in my case, which is configured such that it tends to run pretty much immediately after the computer starts; integrit I have running (to generate the DB) only manually, which I do anytime I do a system update.

Then, typically, after anacron has run rkhunter and chkrootkit I do lots of stuff with the computer (work).

Then maybe sometime during the day I see that oh, Software Updater says an update is due, and I might run that.

So you see the obvious-in-retrospect flaw: that there were several hours of work, that certainly included lots of interwebs, between the runs of rkhunter and chkrootkit in the AM and the point in the evening when I updated the DBs of rkhunter and integrit. The easy fix---for the future anyway---is that from now on I'll do a system update only in the AM before doing anything else.

It's a twisted lesson learned, because now I had/have this sort of large extra work load just trying to be sure it was a false positive. Really looking back I think it was that, but I won't take it for granted. Thanks again for your expert thoughts.

BTW I had another idea in this case, and I think it helped: in Synaptic I reinstalled all of the packages that dpkg -S had said contained "dhclient", plus some others that seemed to me anyway possibly relevant,. Then I ran a check with integrit, and of course it reported that those very items had changed. But what was good (I think) was that the hashes it stored for them were not different, only their mtimes and ctimes had changed. To me that said that unless I had been pwned so severely that this whole process could be faked, that those (new) binaries were identical to the ones from a few days before, when there were definitely no reports of "infection". This might not be conclusive of course, but it helped I think.

Beans
    Hidden!

Actually I use integrit as well for keeping a snapshot of the state of the / file system.
    Back when I ran AIDE I tended to run separate databases at different intervals. For example monitoring directories containing binaries could be run quickly and should generally yield no changes unless the system was updated. Nowadays I run Samhain because it runs as a daemon process, can run any checks at different intervals and watches for changes via Inotify which is efficient.
    Thanks again for your expert thoughts.
    Thanks. I'm not an expert though.
    (..) I ran a check with integrit, (..) the hashes it stored for them were not different, only their mtimes and ctimes had changed. To me that said that unless I had been pwned so severely that this whole process could be faked, that those (new) binaries were identical to the ones from a few days before, when there were definitely no reports of "infection". This might not be conclusive of course, but it helped I think.
    Yes, that helps. Next time please tell us earlier on though. I suggest you keep a copy of your Integrit database with your other off-line backups.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast