Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 is slower than Windows 8?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 is slower than Windows 8?

Quote Originally Posted by xzhamppa View Post
    Most of the linux fanboys are speaking early days of linux and windows back when windows was bluescreen of death OS, but since then they have improved a lot. Huge step was from windows vista -> windows 7. I think linux comes little behind from terms of speed, but it still is more stable OS and way much more customizable than windows. That customization comes with price and that is the speed, if you take lubuntu for example it is lightweight OS and very snappy. Windows has it's own starter package, but there the difference is huge i would take lubuntu any day over windows 7 starter. When the speed crow's in terms of cpu and better graphics card's the speed isn't that noticeable any more to human eye and the differences begin to even out.
    You wanna talk about linux kernel panics ? Blue screen is not a bad thing, it says that there was a serious error on your pc, plus a havent seen any bsod in like 10 years, babe, if you wanna talk about which os is more stable customization is just for noobs, it is never good, as it never fits well with standard user interface, and its just for small things, not for fixing the whole user interface. And the speed in windows over linux is very noticeable, but thats maybe depends on peoples reaction time

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

OK, now we're getting somewhere. Something specific we can use to get back to the OP's post.

steve30 -- are you talking about graphical response?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    I'd love to see your sources, by the way. Particularly with regard to the 5% performance hit.
    i found this to be an interesting read:

Windows 8 has been banned from HWBot, one of the world’s top benchmarking and overclocking communities.
    http://www.extremetech.com/computing...rclocking-site
    only their rankings are windows only i believe.

to the OP - you installed the auto install alongside widnows and you gave it only 9.4 GB? if you have 5 GB RAM then it will probably create at least 4 GB size /swap parititon. this would limit the disk space from the OS. how much disk is actually available in OS?

i don' know how fast windows 8 is. i do know i have win7 starter with Kubuntu dual boot. And kubuntu is so much faster it is not even funny. Default effects on and programs such as firefox start almost instanly on that netbook. while it takes them considerably longer in widnows 7. windows switching is also noticably faste rin Kubuntu. memory usage is a bit lower in Kubuntu but Kubutnu is 64 bit OS (starter is 32 bit). i tried the 32 bit version before that and speed was the same but RAM usage was lower.

and as explained there are various desktops in linux. some are faster and use a lot less system resources as they do not use 3D effects (for example icewm looks like win98).

but this shouldn't be a problem in your case. the GPu should be abel to easilly handle Unity interface and work quite fast at that.

though it is still possible it will be slower than in windows (as shown here: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...a92_win7&num=1) due to drivers being worse.

i think nvidia has good support for linux. or so they say. with propper drivers for all hardware linux is probably still faster.

for exmaple here test show their linux proprietary drivers to be on par with win8 http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag..._geforce&num=1
    Last edited by mastablasta; August 21st, 2013 at 10:06 AM.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by startas View Post
    And the usage of computer resources is a good thing, thats the whole purpose, you know, like food - you eat it, you dont keep it for years till it starts to smell, its just that linux lacks high level optimizations of resources usage.
    not when you have a computer oprating on a battery. though with propper management --- windows can do it because they work with hardware manufacturers - they give them specs what will be in the next OS and expect drivers for it in time. widnows demands - they deliver. linux demands - they say "we'll see" or "in your dreams" or make your own if you want to mess with my hardware. Ubuntu has a problem deciding which browser will be used half a year in avdance. anyway it seems that where proprietary or other drivers are done well then system is on par with windows in desktop performance (or at least percepiton of it).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I first switched to Linux from XP pro.
    XP took about three minutes to boot up, Ubuntu took 30 seconds.
    When I say boot up time I mean the time before the cursor stops being an hourglass and the system is usable, not just being able to see the desktop.
    I found that if you tried to run a program before the OS had finished loading it would invariably crash.
    As for Win 7 or 8 I have no intention of buying them. I do not trust Microsoft and I believe that they are an underhand, devious and morally bankrupt company.

Microsoft released Vista knowing that it would not run on the machines that advertised it should.
    Vista was using your own resources to check if you were a criminal by copying copyright material.
    In other words, they valued their friends in Hollywood above you, the customer.
    You the customer paid for all of Vista's DRM features*.
    Will I ever trust Microsoft again? Definitely not!

If you think that Microsoft have now changed their spots, dream on!
    If you think that the NSA cannot get direct access to your Skype conversations you really are deluded.
    Skype is now hooked into Outlook so there goes your email privacy too!
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...p_its_outlook/

*Read Peter Gutmann's analysis of Vista
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut00...ista_cost.html
    or
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Windows_Vista

Beans

So you see what money does ? Even with all this spying, antiviruses and other things, windows still running faster than linux BTW, if you dont like win8, you can just install win7, it works a little bit better and it is without all that tablets/phones stuff.
    Comparing boot times of win xp / ubuntu is not very fair, because win xp is known to boot slower on slower hardware, plus it has some boot issues, which you must manually tweak to remove. Windows xp loads tons of stuff during boot, whereas ubuntu loads not so much, you can compare win xp to ubuntu 13.10 - it has broken boot process, everything loads, but you still have black screen for a minute... Anyway, win xp on fast hardware loads just in a few seconds.
    And you really shouldnt talk about spying in windows in ubuntu forums, if you know what i mean
    And linux has much bigger chance to crash than even windows xp, because linux base is changing too fast, it never gets to a really stable base, it gets updated too fast, and old releases gets unsupported. Its just a shame, every new linux distro release brings back tons of same old errors... And btw, even windows xp is now very stable, because it was getting fixes for many years, that "linux lts releases" is getting pooped on
    And i dont think, that you should expect privacy on the internet, even google tells you that - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...admission.html
    Last edited by startas; August 21st, 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thread moved to Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat.

Not a support request.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by startas View Post
    And linux has much bigger chance to crash than even windows xp, because linux base is changing too fast, it never gets to a really stable base, it gets updated too fast, and old releases gets unsupported. Its just a shame, every new linux distro release brings back tons of same old errors... And btw, even windows xp is now very stable, because it was getting fixes for many years, that "linux lts releases" is getting pooped on
    when you talk abotu base are you talking about linux kernel ? that one is stable. debian stable is also stable as a desktop. doesn't really crash much. similar goes for Red hat or SUSE Enterprise Linux.
    majority of the internet is powered by same base. it doesn't crash too often there.
    the problem is probably not the base but desktops and their fragmentation.
    XP is also stable. but for the first couple of years it was a nightmare. win7 is vista made more stable and win8 is a bit improved win7.
    the development in linux is fast. and hardware manufacturers don't want to keep up. they prefer older stuff. less investment i guess... i can see they still sell mobile phones with android 2.x. not many have latest one installed.
    ---
    another thing is that the modular nature of linux can reduce system resoruces usage. alowing to use new software on a much older hardware.
    i can run debian 6 or 7 on the following mashcine:
    1,2Ghz AMD cpu
    with 256MB system ram of which only 224 is available to the OS
    20 GB HDD

i can browse web with it, write texts, watch movies, watch youtube... i consider it a "netbook"
    computer boots in about 30-45 secs. battery life was abouT 3 hours .

the computer came with winxp preinstalled. it used 10 minutes just to boot. though we could watch movies on it there was often a lot of stuttering. websurfing was very slow. youtube videos were mostly a slide show. writing a text in word was typing, watching cursor blinking, waiting and then suddenly the text would appear... battery lasted about 1.5 hour.
    i used latest windows drivers for video and all hardware. it didn't help. fresh reinstall did not help.

now since windows7 and windows 8 are much faster than linux and apparetnly use less resources surely they wouldn't have any problem s running on this mashicne would they? i mean it's not fair to compare this debian install with 12 year old xp is it?

Beans

That is a nice piece of wood

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's very subjective and depends what you measure

Do clean install of each > completely updated
    See how long windows takes LOL
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast