Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advise best version for old XP laptop

Beans

Advise best version for old XP laptop

I've changed my original post to a solutions post.

System Info on unit says; emachine 5414 X86 Family model 8 stepping 2 authentic amd ~1596 Mhz total phy. mem. 256 mb avail. phy. mem. 71.28 total virtual mem. 2 gb avail. virt. mem 1.96

emachine specs say; http://support.gateway.com/emachines.../4645sp6.shtml

UPDATE 01; Ubuntu 4.10 (Warty Warthog) This does install on emachine5414;

A. There is an issue with network connection. Select to continue without doing anything.
    B. Select screen resolution 1280x800 when asked. Arrow down the selections until 1280x800 is in view then press enter.
    C. The screen writing is split and awkward to view. There is one function where you might not see two selections, one for yes, the other for no, left arrow over press enter.

UPDATE 02; Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) This does install on emachine 5414

A. There wasn't a network connection issue, it went right through automatically.
    B. Same as B above.
    C. Same as C above.

UPDATE 03; xubuntu-6.06.1-desktop-i386 This does install on emachine 5414

There no issues during install, all worked better than previous so far.

UPDATE 04; Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) This does install on emachine 5414 !

There were no issues during install, install went smoothly, this was the first version which seems to recognize the Linksys WUSB600n wireless thumb drive but for now I cannot enable 'Broadcom 43xx chipset family', I go to System , administration, restricted drivers, then the list pops up but when I select Enable, I get this message; the software source for package, bcm 43xx-fwcutter is not enabled.

LAST UDATE: Had problems getting any version to install, I found out that the hard drive was the proble, so to fix, I used an older version, say down in the 8 range and that will fix the HD, do a full install using the ENTIRE HD, then you can load virtually any version, BUT this version of XUBUNTU will load, regardless of whatever errors are thrown up, just let it run through and it will load, ALSO it is the first version that will locate any and all wifi even if configured for hidden, there it is the easiest to use wifi on unless you already know how to configure hidden wifi manually.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/xubuntu/xubuntu-10.10/

Other older versions show a partial screen during install, do not despair, simply arrow down untill you see what need then arrow up will bring highlight up to what you need, then hit enter, only one screen is a bugger and that is the finial message about do you want to erase entire HD, use the entire HD, you cannot see the yes or know, the No is automatically highlighted and it is to the right, soo, arrow over left then hit enter, you won't be able to see what you did but it will work.

Even the xubuntu have extra software such as games and office stuff, delete them to free up HD space or go and buy and install the 2GB max memory for the emachine 5414!

Anyone have questions email me,

Michael
    Last edited by mawil10132; October 12th, 2013 at 01:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Advise best version for old XP laptop

Hi mawil10132.

As is, with only 256Mb of RAM, I'd recommend Lubuntu.

I'm not very familiar with that AMD processor, but if it is closer to the performance of a P4, you may be able to get a nicer experience running Xubuntu (if you upgrade the RAM to, say, 1Gb).

Just a thought.
    Regards.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi mawil10132.

I'm not very familiar with that AMD processor, but if it is closer to the performance of a P4, you may be able to get a nicer experience running Xubuntu (if you upgrade the RAM to, say, 1Gb).

Just a thought.
    Regards.
    I found the Lubuntu download page but there are these, are they newer and older versions, if so, whats newest version?

• lucid (metapackages): Lubuntu Desktop environment [multiverse]
      0.13: amd64 i386
    • precise (metapackages): Lubuntu Desktop environment [universe]
      0.38: amd64 i386
    • quantal (metapackages): Lubuntu Desktop environment [universe]
      0.45: amd64 i386
    • raring (metapackages): Lubuntu Desktop environment [universe]
      0.48: amd64 i386
    • saucy (metapackages): Lubuntu Desktop environment [universe]
      0.52: amd64 i386

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

mawil10132; Hi !
    ^+1 .. We are running Lubuntu quite nicely on an old AMD sempron processor machine.

ain't nothing but a thing
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro

mawil10132; Hi ! again.

Here is the better guide, choose the AMD64 version 13.04 Standard PC.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu

hope this helps

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Does anyone know what version had a logo of a rat? I had that years ago on this same machine, just for curiosity.

Also, thought I'd try Xubuntu first but the it starts but screen goes black eventually.

Michael

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    mawil10132; Hi !
    ^+1 .. We are running Lubuntu quite nicely on an old AMD sempron processor machine.
    ain't nothing but a thing
    It won't run.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by papibe View Post
    Hi mawil10132.

Just a thought.
    Regards.
    It won't run.

Beans
    Distro

mawil10132;
    It won't run.
    Does not tell us much with which to help you with.
    Can you boot the liveCD into "try ubuntu" mode ?
    No ? Then how far do you progress in the boot process ? What do you see if the boot is halted ?

OR

Have you "tried ubuntu" and installed .. what is the status of the install ? If installed do you boot to 'buntu ?
    No ? Then how far do you progress in the boot process ? What do you see if the boot is halted ?
    yes ? can you boot to the GUI ?

help us to help you

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

[QUOTE=Bashing-om;12801036]mawil10132;

Does not tell us much with which to help you with.
    Can you boot the liveCD into "try ubuntu" mode ?

OR

Have you "tried ubuntu" and installed .. what is the status of the install ? If installed do you boot to 'buntu ?
    yes ? can you boot to the GUI ?
    help us to help you
    [/QUOTE

I downloaded both L and X ubuntu to another PC/Win7, right clicked on downloads and burned to DVD, put DVD into emachine, booted, I could tell they were strating install but got errors and blank screen before any menus. ubuntu is too big, way back I tried 10.1 and it would not install, only the rat ?Xubuntu? what ever version number, cannot remember would install. I remember someone telling me it was a stripped down version.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast