Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BT changed broadband channel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

BT changed broadband channel

I have a laptop working as a server for a website on Ubuntu for the last five years with no problems until BT changed the channel as my broadband was going on and off. I have been into my Home-hub and seen it is now on 11 but now matter what I do I cant get the website back online. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: BT changed broadband channel

Hi ex-para.

A few thoughts:

Not all laptops are built to work 24/7. Some would do OK, but some may overheat and then components will start to fail (wireless card for instance).

I would personally avoid providing any kind of service over wireless. I'd prefer using a ethernet cable.

Having said all that, I've seen a lot of cases where a neighbor gets a new powerful router and starts interfering with your own. Specially if they are using the same channel. The solution is simple, choose a different channel.

There are several alternatives to diagnose the 'neighbor problem'. The easiest would be to use an Android app like WiEye, or Wifi Analyzer. Here are a couple of related articles: Change the Wi-Fi Channel Number to Avoid Interference, and When Defaults Are Bad: How To Pick a Unique Wireless Channel For Your Router.

Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro

Maybe I shoud have mentioned it is on an ethernet cable and the laptop has worked for years 27/7 and I live in a remote part of the UK with no neighbores for half a mile but I thank you taking the trouble to reply.

Beans
    Hidden!

I know the BT router/hub has some idiosyncrasies, but surely they do not set the channel used remotely, do they?
    You should be able to change it if you go to the hub's configuration page in your browser.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 14.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for the reply, BT did change the channel at their end and yes I can change it if I need to but my problem is getting my site back on line. I have done the bit in port forwarding like putting the http www and the laptop name in where they should be but still not back on line.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ex-para View Post
    Thanks for the reply, BT did change the channel at their end and yes I can change it if I need to but my problem is getting my site back on line. I have done the bit in port forwarding like putting the http www and the laptop name in where they should be but still not back on line.
    Is your device one of the BT Home Hub 3 devices? If so, you might want to look at adjusting its "Smart Wireless" settings.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ex-para View Post
    Maybe I shoud have mentioned it is on an ethernet cable
    Are you saying that the laptop server is connected to the BT Home Hub router by an ethernet cable? In which case the wireless channel would be irrelevant. Perhaps you could confirm.

If BT reconfigured the router remotely, they may also have changed your IP address.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Are you saying that the laptop server is connected to the BT Home Hub router by an ethernet cable? In which case the wireless channel would be irrelevant. Perhaps you could confirm.

If BT reconfigured the router remotely, they may also have changed your IP address.
    A residential internet connection will have a dynamic IP address and has probably changed.
    You might just have been lucky and had the same one all this time.
    I live in a remote place and my ISP rides on BT Wholesale’s backbone and my IP address has not changed in years.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    A residential internet connection will have a dynamic IP address and has probably changed.
    Not necessarily. It depends on the ISP - at least in the UK. Mine has allocated me a fixed IP address even though I never asked for one. Others will if you ask or pay an extra fee. I really don't know about BT Retail's policy, but a fixed IP is obviously a must for a webserver, so the OP needs to check this.
    Ubuntu 15.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If the OP has a HomeHub then it's a residential BT connection, this means that it has a dynamic IP.

The only way to get a fixed IP with BT is to go with one of their business packages.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast