Thread: Steam not staying connected to internet

Beans

Steam not staying connected to internet

Ok so here is the problem. I have downloaded steam and it seems to be working just fine i can search through the store find games and things like that but as soon as i start to download a game (i.e. Team Fortress 2) it starts the download but a little way in steam just decided to give out and i get the error message that steam must be connected to the internet to download. I have checked and every time it does this my computer is still connected to the internet I've even tried hardwireing it to my router. Is anybody else getting this problem. I am using Lubuntu 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Steam not staying connected to internet

I have seen this happen myself. Try exiting Steam (exit completely) and restarting.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Could well be your internet.
    You can browse fine, But when you start downloading it quits?
    Does this happen often, Or do you have a slow internet?

Beans

At first i thought it was my connection but it isn't. I am still showing connection to the internet so i know that it is not my connection. And i know that it is not my speed I have a very fast cable connection.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I have seen this happen myself. Try exiting Steam (exit completely) and restarting.
    Thanks did that fix it for you? I will have to try it tonight when i am able to get off of work.

Beans

Don't know if this is applies to your problem or not but just recently upgraded to Ubuntu 13.04 on one of my computers... and then immediately started having network issues; including errors from Steam no Internet when I could browse; browser Chrome randomly clicking on a link and get unable to reach page; apt-get update giving me errors on unable reach some host names. (none on clean installs had this problem) Interesting enough computer always shows connected but under the network edit connections I would have duplicate connections appear and disappear. Like wired connection 1 connected 1 hr ago and connection 1 connected now. Very strange but seemed to be losing my DNS servers and so I just edited my connection under ipv4 settings added additional dns servers (google's.) 8.8.8,8.8.4.4 then all the connection errors stopped. None of the other devices on my LAN and there are a bunch, have had any DNS issues and so not my Internet providers DNS servers. Must have been something wacky with the upgrade.