Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my username appears public on the forums

Beans

my username appears public on the forums

Hello, I really do not remember if this is how it was before, but I see my username appearing public as my name.
    I have no way to change my settings and add a name instead. the system does not allow me to change ANY of my settings here.
    I consider displaying the username public a security issue more or less once it is 50% of what one needs to login to an account.

Thank you.
    Last edited by orasisd; August 20th, 2013 at 09:05 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: my username appears public on the forums

Thread moved to Resolution Centre.

The username of your forum account is the one you chose when you registered the account the old way in June 2011. The username of an account is always publicly visible. If you wish to have the username changed, please see this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1178721

We would need 3 alternatives.

As far as the restriction on changing profile details, please see this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393

You would not be able to change your username even with a post count of >25 anyway.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Thread moved to Resolution Centre.

The username of your forum account is the one you chose when you registered the account the old way in June 2011. The username of an account is always publicly visible. If you wish to have the username changed, please see this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1178721

We would need 3 alternatives.

As far as the restriction on changing profile details, please see this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2034393

You would not be able to change your username even with a post count of >25 anyway.
    Hi friend,
    I do not wish to change my username, if you read well I mention something else.
    Do you really really think that displaying a username public is NOT as security concern ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Usernames are visible on forums - not just this forum. That's how forums work, so that discussions can take place which would be impossible if all posts were completely anonymous. I fail to see why you would consider this a security risk.

However, it can be a personal risk if the username can be used to personally identify the account holder. Which is why forum culture generally (not just on this forum) is tolerant of nicknames, and why we are happy to oblige if a member wishes their account to be renamed so that they cannot be personally identified.

You say you do not want your username changed. In which case the thread does not belong in the Resolution Centre, and I'll move it back to Forum Feedback & Help so that others can comment if they wish.

EDIT: and so moved.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

I see your point. Although you do not seam to even try to see mine.
    A username should NOT be publicly visible if a developer of a forum, login form etc would want to make a secure application.
    If it is in need to identify the 'who' it is by a special nickname and not just Anonymous or a repeated name as you say, then the application should ask for the following:

- Name (Your real name -- Anonymous will be used if blank)
    - Nickname (Will be used in the forum and should be unique -- required)
    - Login Username (Will be used to login to the system, hidden from the public and should be unique -- required)

Conclusion:
    1. If you think the forum software you use on Ubuntu Forums does this well, then why I do not see it in action ?
    2. If you think this is impossible with the current forum software you use and this is fine, .....then I have nothing more to say on this.

EDIT:
    I understand that my English is bad -- it is not my Native language. This can confuse people that read my post, same as it confused you. So my topic is not related at all to 'changing username' but related to 'login security'.
    Linux is a very secure system. Lets not make it that easy for an intruder by opening 50% of a gap for him to try passwords on publicly given usernames.
    I design applications in php and I consider what I see here very weird.

EDIT 2:
    I see this on various web apps and it should not be considered as a 'culture' but as a luck of understanding of internet security by the developer.
    For example, I cannot imagine the administrator username to be publicly visible -- this would be totally a shame.
    I remember times where web applications would ASK from the administrator to change his username from the default 'admin' to something else. Now most of them 'require' it upon installation. Some of them do NOT accept usernames such as 'admin' etc. Why ? because everyone knows that the script kiddy bots will try such usernames.
    But not only the administrator username should be well taken care of, if the application respects security and privacy, EVERY user account should be taken that seriously.
    Last edited by orasisd; August 20th, 2013 at 10:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I'm still really not sure what you are trying to say.

However -

this is a public forum where usernames are publically posted - this will not change.

You appear to be looking for something that a public forum isn't nor could ever be.

Beans

I see, I see.
    Doesn't mater.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

But, didn't you log-in here through SSO (email and password)? How did you log-in with your user name?

Beans

Through SSO I logged in using email/password yes.
    Do you mean that a forum script needs 3rd party services/scripts in order to have a safe login and general secure design ? (exclude SSL).

Anyway, just ignore what you read here, it's ok.
    Nobody forces nobody for anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

You have a different user name on the forums than you have on SSO login, right?
    orasisd is your username here, is it also the name you login with? I login with one name, then it shows that 'critin' has logged in. I used to log in with 'critin' until the change.

Posters have to know who they're speaking to, so your forum username must be public.
    Remember When Double-Dog dare ya's and water balloons were the ultimate weapon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast