Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Canonical has root to everyone's ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Canonical has root to everyone's ubuntu?

The thing is something like unity lens even if you don't care about your information being stolen it still is wasting your processing power running the ad for the search.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by walterorlin View Post
    The thing is something like unity lens even if you don't care about your information being stolen it still is wasting your processing power running the ad for the search.
    What is being stolen? Any data sent by the service is anonymized. What definition of 'stolen' are you using?
    The service is also trivially easy to either disable or remove completely. No wasted background processing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The information you type in the dash search is sent invisibly to amazon (they can't see your computer at all) and it just pops in little ad suggestions from their website...that's all that does...Neither Canonical or Amazon is "spying" on you...And in 5 seconds, by going into privacy settings, you can hit the off button and turn off the online dash search completely...

The feature is no more "intrusive" then say, going to linux mint's forums and seeing those targeted ads you get over there...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 19th, 2013 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

I have absolutely no problem with Ubuntu making profit throught their OS after all Open Source doesn't have to be non-profitable so why not? The integration of web tools in the Dash is a welcome addition to some while a huge waste of processing power to others. I don't like the integrated search not because of privacy issues but because my internet isn't always on and I don't want to wait for long just because I'm waiting for the no internet error to show before I get to the file. So like how its supposed to be done, I go to the settings and turn it off. Problem solved. If Canonical would add one of 'em NSA backdoors then they should at least inform Ubuntu's users even if they puff it up with lines like "For national security reasons, Canonical has decided to offer some user data for the user's safety."

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Actually none since I am booting lubuntu which doesn't have the unity lens. It would use bandwith for ads I would not buy something from if I was using unity.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by walterorlin View Post
    Actually none since I am booting lubuntu which doesn't have the unity lens. It would use bandwith for ads I would not buy something from if I was using unity.
    When you were running ubuntu with unity, where you aware you could have turned those ads off? All you had to do was go to "privacy settings" and there is a section there where you can turn off online searches...once done, no ads appear in the search...just the stuff on your Operating System...just saying

The Amazon ads are there to help generate some revenue for ubuntu development...that is all...no sinister reasons...in fact the information is sent invisibly to amazon so they can't even see you...their server just sends back some purchase suggestions....but you could have shut it off in approx 5 seconds...
    Last edited by craig10x; October 1st, 2013 at 01:35 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    When you were running ubuntu with unity, where you aware you could have turned those ads off? All you had to do was go to "privacy settings" and there is a section there where you can turn off online searches...once done, no ads appear in the search...just the stuff on your Operating System...just saying
    Yep, and it also isn't too difficult to simply install and use a different environment and use that instead of Unity. But just turning the stuff off is certainly the quickest and easiest approach, problem solved.

Beans
    Distro

Exactly malspa...and i was saying that because IF that was the main thing that turned him off to unity (assuming he liked using it otherwise) then actually, it would have been a lot easier to simply turn that off that instead of re-installing with another version of ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

I only used unity on 12.04 which doesn't have the unity lens. I like lubuntu though so am happy.

Beans
    Distro

That's cool...just wanted to mention that though should you be interested in using the main version of ubuntu in the future

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234