Thread: how to acces a network folder in a software

Beans

how to acces a network folder in a software

Hi,
    I'm new to linux and I would like to go on with linux but I'm facing a big stop. I have a big discotheque on a windows PC that I don't intend to change location. I could see all my files in the file browser of Ubuntu, My problem is that in whatever program I use I can't get my files from the software. The file browser in all the software don't show network.

So I can't add a file from the software and I can not tell the soft where is my Library, even if the network file is mount. Why is the network file don't show in the file explorer of software???

Thank you

Beans

Re: how to acces a network folder in a software

My problem is that in whatever program I use I can't get my files from the software
    Since you can see the files in the browser, the problem is that the programs you are using don't allow you to browse networked filesystems.

If you tell us what programs, we may be able to suggest alternative ones.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I tried almost every music software that you can think of... But to simplify this post, let's concentrate with Gmusicbrowser. When I try to search for a location for my library. In the preference menu when the little file browser open I can not see my network. The same thing happen when I try to open a file from the "file open" menu.
    I use Nautilus for file browsing and I have absolutely no difficulty do see my network, but from a software it seems impossible???

Thank's

Beans

What version / flavor of Ubuntu? If the network browsing is handled by gvfs, you may be able to access your remote share programatically via the gvfs usermount - in Ubuntu 12.04 that should be at ~/.gvfs (i.e. /home/username/.gvfs) e.g.

Code:
    $ ls ~/.gvfs
    users on winbox
    $ 
    $ ls ~/.gvfs/users\ on\ winbox/ 
    desktop.ini
    steeldriver
    although I believe it has moved in newer releases to somewhere like /run/user/XXXX - if you're not sure you can use the 'mount' command e.g.

Code:
    $ mount | grep gvfs 
    gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/steeldriver/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=steeldriver)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Did this resolve the issue?