Thread: Debian 1680x1050 GMA 3000 Slight Problem

Beans

Debian 1680x1050 GMA 3000 Slight Problem

I have an optiplex 745 minitower hooked up to a monitor at 1680x1050. I had to manually add the resolution in xrandr. It works but i have a slight problem. There is a black vertical bar on the right side of the screen about 1mm thick and the left side of the screen is cut off by about the same thickness (almost like the vertical line on the right is forcing the picture to the left). Anyone have any idea what is causing this?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Debian 1680x1050 GMA 3000 Slight Problem

If not connected by DVI or HDMI cable it may be just the monitor needs adjusting, or it could be the refresh rate which used to shift my display by a tiny amount to the right when using one of the two rates available to my system.

It should not be needed when using a digital cable of either type, but there is often a button on the monitor that you can press to shift the visible screen right or left and I always had to adjust this when connected by VGA cable.

Beans

Re: Debian 1680x1050 GMA 3000 Slight Problem

Found an auto adjust option in menu of monitor and it seems to work fine. On a side note can anyone reccomend a card that would work with that computer that is relatively cheap? Specs for pc are here http://www.dell.com/downloads/global...5techspecs.pdf i have the one in the left column. I just want to be able to play hd video smoothly as was my ps3 without converting everytime for my ps3 or dealing with hit or miss media centers. I probably want to continue to use vga though since i have a 25 foot vga cable and i keep it far away from the monitor as to not have to hear the harddrive noises.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.