Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux sightings thread

Beans

Linux sightings thread

I recently adopted a dog from a no-kill shelter (Atlanta Pet Rescue & Adoption if anyone is interested). I had been looking at dogs there for a few weeks, and last week I noticed they are running Linux on the computer at the front desk! Every time I've seen it they've just had Firefox open fullscreen to their web page, but it was quite clear they were running Gnome Shell with "Activities" and the Firefox icon on the top bar. That only made me more happy to adopt for them. It especially makes sense for a non-profit organization that I'm sure doesn't want to waste money on a Windows or Mac machine.

This also reminds me, several months ago I was riding the subway in Atlanta and I noticed on one of the really old monitors in the car I was riding it said GNU Grub Version (probably some really old version). I can't remember what is normally displayed on those monitors, but that one seemed to have not booted properly and the Grub readout caught my attention.

So has anyone else noticed Linux desktops (or other platforms) in unexpected places?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Linux sightings thread

Quote Originally Posted by montag dp View Post
    I recently adopted a dog from a no-kill shelter (Atlanta Pet Rescue & Adoption if anyone is interested). I had been looking at dogs there for a few weeks, and last week I noticed they are running Linux on the computer at the front desk! Every time I've seen it they've just had Firefox open fullscreen to their web page, but it was quite clear they were running Gnome Shell with "Activities" and the Firefox icon on the top bar. That only made me more happy to adopt for them. It especially makes sense for a non-profit organization that I'm sure doesn't want to waste money on a Windows or Mac machine.

This also reminds me, several months ago I was riding the subway in Atlanta and I noticed on one of the really old monitors in the car I was riding it said GNU Grub Version (probably some really old version). I can't remember what is normally displayed on those monitors, but that one seemed to have not booted properly and the Grub readout caught my attention.

So has anyone else noticed Linux desktops (or other platforms) in unexpected places?
    Some of the digital menus in front of resturants in my area run Ubuntu
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Nice story.

Sadly I don't often see Linux in the real world. But lately I was in a local library and they were using Debian Squeeze on information TV-screens (normally not visible as they display a slideshow).
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I have caught a glimpse of what looks like Ubuntu on a TV3 New Zealand news reporter's desktop.
    Also a news item on a handheld laser scanner that creates millimeter accurate 3D images of the interior of buildings, showed the scanner kit used a Acer Aspire One with Ubuntu to manipulate the images.
    14.10 amd64

Beans

My local library actually runs a ubuntu variant called groovix. I've had someone recognize ubuntu when i was using it a bar and saying they use it at home which was pretty cool too.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Pretty sure Dexter uses it..
    when on thin ice; dance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The local Lowe's in my area runs what appears to be Red Hat on its computers.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I saw a local Computer Shop selling 3x Dell Optiplex's with what looked liked Pear Linux / Other Linux distro with Gnome 3 themed like a Mac on them.

Beans

Thai Airways International's onboard entertainment systems.
    Had a pic of it, but cannot find it now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The free internet terminals at Perth Airport are running Ubuntu 8.04. Ahh... I still love that old Human theme.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast