Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DVDs are not at all a reliable media

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

DVDs are not at all a reliable media

Hi,
    I have many data DVDs with me with all sorts of files. Today I opened an year old DVD and found that 2 files are not readable.

So what is the most reliable media for storing important files ?
    Lubuntu 14.04
    free
    showing high ram usage ? Read this
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: DVDs are not at all a reliable media

I have never used it but this may come in handy in the future
    http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...isaster.1.html

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Best I know is a brand new external mechanical hard drive that you only write to and read from - never deleting files/folders.

Keep unplugged in a cool dry place except when you need it.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

May want to rethink the whole thing and go with online storage. Dropbox has served me well for years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    May want to rethink the whole thing and go with online storage. Dropbox has served me well for years.
    You'd have to have a second online storage site, a backup of your backup, to be sure. What happened to Megaupload can happen to other online providers. Or they can get bought out and shut down like Geocities did.

Home burned DVDs only last a few years because of the oxidation of the dyes. I've lost data that way in as little as a year and a half since recording. On that type of media, the clock starts ticking the minute the discs come off the factory line.

The capacity of DVDs is kind of small by today's measures anyway so I'd second davetv's recommendation of an external mechanical drive. I'm not sure how long those are supposed to last in storage, but they are relatively cheap and if you get two different brands/models they are unlikely to fail at the same time.

Edit: Here's a better diagram of the layers involved in the DVD: http://www.clir.org/pubs/reports/pub121/sec3.html
    Last edited by Lars Noodén; August 18th, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by davetv View Post
    Best I know is a brand new external mechanical hard drive that you only write to and read from - never deleting files/folders.

Keep unplugged in a cool dry place except when you need it.
    Why are you recommending a mechanical drive and not a solid state drive like a usb pen drive ?
    Lubuntu 14.04
    free
    When people say "you've changed " there's a 95% chance that you just stopped acting the way they wanted you to.

Beans

You'd have to have a second online storage site, a backup of your backup, to be sure.
    Guess thats what I do backup to a second hdd and dropbox. Like mention, dvd just don't have enough storage capacity.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are you using the free 2 gb space provided by dropbox ? or are you paying for extra storage ? Coz to backup large files like video files I need good amount of space.
    Lubuntu 14.04
    free

Beans

I have 8gig of storage for free. You get your friends to sign up and you will get extra storage space for free. If you want to back up video, thats a different story as you need a good amount of storage. Are you using dvd to backup video? Must have a good size collection.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have 8gig of storage for free. You get your friends to sign up and you will get extra storage space for free. If you want to back up video, thats a different story as you need a good amount of storage. Are you using dvd to backup video? Must have a good size collection.
    I will try n find someone who is willing to sign up. Yes I use DVDs to backup my videos. There must be 40-50 of them with me.

But now I am worried I will loose all that data eventually.
    Lubuntu 14.04
    free

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast