Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Something like Arch Linux with no net?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Something like Arch Linux with no net?

Whoo, that is giant, 4 gigs on the dvd? That is cool though haha. Mama mia, that is a good idea, but alas not possible. It will be a desktop I am going to work with, not a laptop. If it was a laptop, I could use it somewhere rather than the middle of nowhere. Hence part of the need to be able to get the stuff on cds and just wham bam have it ready.

The minimal installs might work, if I could do a couple of the things at a time. First install 30 MB. and maybe being able to use 200-300 MB a month on downloads. I could see building it up after sometime. (My network, with what limited data I have, is shared too, making things harder because I have to regulate usage among the four.) Or I could go to friends house, get the packages on a blank cd. (Because They would let me.) and try to install the packages that way. (Seen some kind of trick for installing on Ubuntu without going online, imagine it would work with the minimal install.) But how much would I learn that way? Ubuntu even in the command-line makes things pretty easy.

@Sweet.

Indeed. What is not internet dependent now a days?
    Last edited by RadicaX; August 18th, 2013 at 01:06 AM.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans

You can buy the DVD online. I did a quick search on uncle Google and found a couple for 8 bucks. Yeah, kind of expensive for an open source distribution, but I guess it's better than having to pay lots of money for monthly charges.

I just thought of SliTaz, a nice lightweight distro with minimal internet requirements.

EDIT: Sorry, I mean a Slackware DVD can be found online for 8 bucks.
    Last edited by codingman; August 18th, 2013 at 03:14 AM.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

4 gigs is nothing. Debian is something like a 10-DVD set. Of course, nobody actually downloads them all -- that's why netinstall exists.

Slackware is a good choice because, unlike the rolling release distros, it doesn't depend on an ongoing Internet connection. You can install Arch from a CD with no net, but you wouldn't want to leave it like that because of the whole bleeding edge deal, and keeping it up to date is going to cost you in data. Gentoo is even worse. On the other hand, you can install Slackware from a CD with no net and it will be fine for months on only a handful of small updates. (At least, that's what I recall from last time I used it, which was several years back.)

Of course, you still have to get the CD. You can install Slackware (with no X) from CD 1 alone (the 4-gig DVD isn't the only way to get it!), but honestly, if you're throttled just spend a few bucks (or euros or whatever) and get it shipped to you. Or ask your friend to download it for you.

Debian is another good choice for someone with slow Internet for much the same reasons. Rolling release distros like Arch and Gentoo are death for someone with limited internet. (I installed Gentoo over dialup several times. I don't recommend it.)

Beans

Aah... there's that doggoned site!
    CrunchBang Linux
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I went to that site and was shocked how many dvds some of the "sets" had. 18 on one of the Linux Mint ones. The price is not to bad really, 33 bucks still beats the pants off any windows os out there. (XP is still 20$, and that does not include all the great free software out there.) I can see why you guys said slackware, with just a dvd, or set of cds, pretty cheap.

So a question then to any who have done one of those minimal installs. Do you just redirect apt-get to the cd? (Or whatever package manager you might be using.) Pretty cool there is even sets out there for Ubuntu or Debian like that. I guess some other person out there in this big wide world had little to no net and wanted some great programs for his Linux of choice too.
    So far Linux from scratch has looked the most appealing, for the ability to study it, and build up your own Distro.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've installed Ubuntu over the net a number of times. Back in the days when I had to watch my data use fairly carefully, I basically set up a repository on a machine on my LAN and directed apt-get to that. There are various ways of doing that - apt-cacher-ng is one of them which also works for Debian.

Whether or not you can direct apt-get to a CD/DVD depends on how it is set up. If it's just a collection of packages, it won't work. It needs to have the repository control files so that apt-get knows what to do with it. But the packages can still be imported into apt-cacher-ng

I'm not sure what's available for non-deb distros. There's almost certainly a way of setting up a repo on your LAN. You wouldn't need a fancy machine for it, either.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Debian has a tool called apt-cdrom that you can use to add a CD (with the proper index files as Irihapeti said) to the source list.

Slack used to have a utility... maybe it was pkgtool? It's been a while, but it would let you re-run part of the installation process to add and remove packages. It would use the CDs as sources. Pat may have changed it since then, so I couldn't walk you through the process, but it's still possible if you do a little research.

LFS is kind of cool, but I'd suggest installing it on a separate partition and not using it as your primary. Lots of things can go wrong and it'll take a long time to get it set up. Not to mention that you'll need a fallback when you eventually get sick of maintaining it

For me Arch hit a happy medium of low-maintenance and high-control, and although I liked both Debian and Slackware for pretty much the same reasons, I had broadband at that point and nothing prevented me using a rolling release distro. Granted that was in like 2008 and the Linux world has changed a bit, but that's what I found. Hope it helps and good luck.

Beans

You can add and remove software by going through the ncurses setup again on the installation media.
    CrunchBang Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you're interested in building LFS, go for it! It's pretty much the ultimate as far as home-built GNU/Linux systems go. I built it myself a couple months ago but got sidetracked to other projects before I got X stabilized on it. It was challenging and quite eye-opening, and to be honest, not terribly hard so long as you follow the book. Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Arch issues updates almost on a daily basis -- they are not too big however it seems newer kernel versions come down about every 2 weeks. It's really painful as well to not keep up on your updates as things tend to break.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast