Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something like Arch Linux with no net?

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Something like Arch Linux with no net?

So I have been looking at things like Arch Linux, or Gentoo as of late. I like the idea of building from a very minimal install and putting what you would like on there, while learning about Linux itself. Trouble with them, is that you need internet basically to install packages on them. Something I can not afford to do with my limited amount of data a month.
    So would any know of a distro like them, that I could install on a machine, and just pop in a cd to get the packages needed off? (I am betting it can be done with them though.) Have any of you done anything like this before? Thanks for any input on this matter.
    Last edited by RadicaX; August 20th, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans

Re: Something like Arch Linux with no net?

Wouldn't downloading a 700mb cd per month eat more bandwith than just updating arch occassionaly?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!

If you are good at following instructions to the "T" and want total control of your OS build you can try LFS (be prepared to learn a lot).

You would still need to download the source codes from online sources, but the size of the files are typically small.

Or you could use Puppy Linux, as the software in the repositories are typically selected for their small size as a top priority.

Instead of going minimal, you could purchase a CD/DVD of a distro that has all the bells and whistles pre-installed by default so that no further downloads would be required. SolydK looks promising.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 17th, 2013 at 10:49 PM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Wouldn't downloading a 700mb cd per month eat more bandwith than just updating arch occassionaly?
    He's referring to the initial installation- for those of us whose internet is not through some reliable and always-linux-recognizable manner (tethering, for instance) something like Arch and Gentoo can be a major pain.
    @OP, AFAIK there isn't a way around that- it's just part of the system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Look for a distro that offers a network installation option. You'll install a very minimal amount of code initially, just enough to get the network connection working and point you at the right server. Then you can download and install only what you want.

I believe there's a way to do a Slackware net install. You could get a barebones setup going, then, for a real educaton, start adding to it by downloading and building from source. You'll learn a lot, including why dependcy resolvers were invented.

Beans

^

I think the OP wanted something that DIDN'T need much internet

Anyways, try Slackware, you can have all of your stuff on one DVD or multiple CD's and no need for internet connection.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    ^

I think the OP wanted something that DIDN'T need much internet

Anyways, try Slackware, you can have all of your stuff on one DVD or multiple CD's and no need for internet connection.
    The Slackware DVD is over 4 gigs these days.

The Debian network install image is something like 30 megs. Ditto Ubuntu's, which is based on it. The advantage is only downloading what you want, rather than downloading a 700-meg LiveCD or a larger LiveDVD and then only installing what you want off that.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@Mamaia,

Indeed. Not quite what I meant though. My internet at best is iffy. I use a 3G Modem with 5 GB a month to use at the moment. My other option is to go dial up. (Was surprised 56k modems and dial up were still sold in my area.) I can get packages like you noted time from time, But then again, it is possible for me to get the packages in one go at a friend's house off their super speed internet and linux machine. To which I can burn to cds and just install packages from there instead. (Seeing as how I am working on a desktop, it would not be good for me to bring it along to their house and just start building a Arch build.)

So the idea is not going and download 700 MB distros to try over and over. I want a small install, and then to build it up to help learn about Linux in general.

@PetroDawg.

Thank you. the LFS looks like my kind of thing right off the bat. I have used Puppy before, and it is pretty cool, and a good idea, because it is so minimal, I could add things as I seen fit to them time from time. And it is a good idea to buy a distro with all the bells and whistles, but it helps to defeat the purpose of what I am wanting to do. My main objective is to just increase my understanding of Linux in general.

@Cortman.

Thank you. And yeah, it is quite a pain. Guess that is how the cookie crumbles sometimes.

__

Basically, it would be pretty cool I would imagine to build it and set it up ready for the stuff with no net whatsoever.

Thanks everyone. You hit it on the head codingman.
    Last edited by RadicaX; August 17th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans

Maybe you can try arch and update it using a public wifi spot like a coffee shop or restaurant?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

You are going to to find it very hard to use Linux without Internet. Linux is HEAVILY internet dependent. It MUST have a connection to function correctly. If you want to try Linux without internet, try Linux Mint 13 or Precise Puppy Linux. Both practically have everything you would ever need to use, preinstalled. Like codecs, flash, java, office, ect...

Edit: The DVD COPY of Linux Mint 13 has everything installed. The CD version is just the main install. The DVD copy is ~4.7GB. Puppy on the otherhand is ~256MB or less.
    Last edited by SweetAurora; August 18th, 2013 at 12:59 AM.
    You are such a sweetheart b-b-baby!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast