Thread: How to tab between window groups

Beans

How to tab between window groups

Hello, I recently broke the Unity desktop somehow so I decided to install KDE since I've been meaning to learn to use that desktop environment anyway. It's very interesting and looks to be quite useful so far though I haven't figured out how to use activities or widgets effectively yet. One feature I like is the ability to group multiple programs into a single window and I've added a keyboard shortcut to switch between them. However alt-tab cycles between all programs, not just window groups. Is there any way to restrict alt-tab to only cycle between window groups?

I found someone with an identical question here but there was no response.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1478744

Beans

Re: How to tab between window groups

I do know you can group tasks as tabs on the top border of one of them, is it those groups you wan to Tab through?
    One way is to assign a key(combination), like you could use Meta+Tab (normally assigned to switch Activities but if they're not used...).

In System Settings select Shortcuts and Gestures, then Global Shortcuts and from the drop down Kwin.
    Now you have a list of things you can assign keys to, the one you need is for switching Windows Tabs.
    (Please realise I have a Dutch system so I might be off with the proper translation!)

You might have noticed Alt+Tab only works for the programs on the desktop you are on (this can be changed to all via System Settings/ Task Switcher).

In case I got your question wrong and you mean you have your programs organised between different virtual desktops you are getting close to what the Activities are meant to do.
    Like one activity for your music, another for documents and again another for your pictures.
    Or one for private, another for work related stuff.
    Per default Meta+Tab will switch between these activities

Beans

Re: How to tab between window groups

ARGH I have to write this again. Second time that's happened and I've only posted two things today. I keep seeing it autosave though, is there any way to recover that?
    I'll shorten it this time around.

Thank you but no I already figured out how to do that. What I want to do is cycle between groups, not within a group. I could use alt-tab but that cycles by application not group and lessens the usefulness of grouping.

Activities are quite interesting but I am still trying to figure out how to use them effectively in a way that doesn't just turn them into fancy virtual desktops.
    PS. I'll have to figure out how to enable email alerts so I'll know when I get responses sooner. I didn't realize it was disabled by default here so I only realized you had posted when I came here again for something else.