Thread: Anyone got any tips and tricks for python?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Anyone got any tips and tricks for python?

Python.

It's one of these things i hear about all the time - so much so that i actually know more about what its used for then how to use it effectively - i tried to get into it but i found the command line/interpreter clumsy and annoying.

Scripiting was fine, just didnt quite see what the edge was on it, so i figure i must be missing something here.

Being into my OO and ED, i really should get down to the wire with it.

Any thoughts on this, or why im a clot for not picking it up sooner, are much obliged.
    Boab1993

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Anyone got any tips and tricks for python?

Basically it is just easy to read and program with. It has advantages to it, such as being able to deal with complex numbers without having to first program in those rules like you would have to with C or Java. And it is still pretty powerful. Basically, from what I have done with it, it is better for learning concepts and not having to worry so much about syntax. Which is a double edge sword really. The other thing is that you could make some lightweight and useful programs with it pretty quick compared to some. I found it quite good for getting into the concept of Object Oriented type stuff. (And made Java not seem so odd when it talked about classes and stuff.)

Upon saying all that though, just like most programming languages, it has its ups and downs.
    My tip for learning it, do not try to memorize every command, but try to understand the logic. Use reference sheets if needed.
    My other tip is, that this should probably go in programming part of the forums rather than the cafe.
    Proverbs 14:15

The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going.

Beans

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but I wrote the visualizer for this program:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/construct2d/

in python with matplotlib (the images on the project page are from the visualizer). So I suppose my reason for using it is the availability of third-party libraries to do things like plotting and stuff that is harder to do in other languages.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi everyone,

My point of hosting it here is because i don't want it to be a deadly serious talk, i want opinions not facts particulary.

I have alot of extensive experience in OO (object oriented) concepts, procedural and ED (event driven). The syntax is neither here or there, its something in passing, every new language its different but the concept remains.

My only problem with python is the enviroment, which ment it just displeased me. I hear it being raved about on google apps, being brought in widely in university programs etc, im just wondering is it an important language im missing out on, or OO's version of VB (before some has a go, i know VB can be used as an OO language, but it is primarily event driven)

I thank you both for your insight, but im really just wanting a shake down of what is so great about python and how to get into it in a nice smooth way, like anything on looking back you can say is a good idea.

Thanks for the input
    Boab1993