Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on wysiwyg html editor for creating simple Doc

Beans

Opinions on wysiwyg html editor for creating simple Doc

Hello to all,

I know this question has been asked before, however, all the threads i saw were old. Looking for an html editor that does not require me to know html. I just need to create some simple web documents that I will be using for personal use. Although I know a little about html, I just don't have time to dig into a book at this time. By the way, I have found some on synaptic like tynymce, gwrite, and blogilo. I did not see kompozer on there ? Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

traxster
    Last edited by Traxster; August 18th, 2013 at 04:24 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Opinions on wysiwyg html editor for creating simple Doc

I have been using Kompozer for a while now & like it lots....very easy to use...
    there are many others out there, but for your casual use go with Kompozer...

you can check out my webpage here:

http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost

YMMV

Tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Debian 7.6 Wheezy, Linux Mint 17rc, Fedora 20
    my new & improved web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    I have been using Kompozer for a while now & like it lots....very easy to use...
    there are many others out there, but for your casual use go with Kompozer...

you can check out my webpage here:

http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost

YMMV

Tommy
    sounds good, I downloaded kompozer, and extracted it. what is the command to install it now? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

thanks

traxster

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Traxster View Post
    sounds good, I downloaded kompozer, and extracted it. what is the command to install it now? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

thanks

traxster
    There may be better options than kompozer...

Latest stable version: 0.7.10 (2007-08-30)
    Warning: this version does NOT work with recent GNU/Linux distros.
    KompoZer 0.7 is not compatible with GTK ≥ 2.14 — expect crashes. If you’re using a Linux distro that ships KompoZer 0.7.10 with GTK ≥ 2.14, please inform the package maintainers about this.

Latest development version: 0.8b3 (2010-02-28)

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

package manager

Manual downloads are messy. Use the Software Center or Synaptic if you can. Same goes for any other package. That way the package manager can take care of updates and any dependencies there might be. It also makes it easy to uninstall packages after you have tried them. It looks like Ubuntu stopped including Kompozer though.

If you manually download packages to your system it will get messy and may eventuall stop working. It's really best to let the package manager do all that work if you have the option.

Back to the main question, in addition to Kompozer, you might also want to look at Bluefish. It's there in the repository and so will install with a click or two.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

ppa

If you roll down to the bottom of this page you can see the link to the Kompozer PPA:

http://www.kompozer.net/download.php

PPAs require a little setup but do give you the advantages of using the package manager.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/how-to-ad...rces-in-ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HOWEFIELD....

I am using Kompozer v 0.8b3 20081229.....it works great with Precise 12.04 LTS...

don't know what version of GTK I have tho...how do I find that???

Tommy
    Registered Linux User # 529389
    Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS, Debian 7.6 Wheezy, Linux Mint 17rc, Fedora 20
    my new & improved web page http://users.gilanet.com/~tfrost

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NM5TF View Post
    HOWEFIELD....

I am using Kompozer v 0.8b3 20081229.....it works great with Precise 12.04 LTS...

don't know what version of GTK I have tho...how do I find that???

Tommy
    If you read the post, it is the stable version that has trouble with earlier versions of gtk, the development version doesn't have this issue.

I'm only saying that using a stable version that is 6 years old or a development version that is 3.5 years old doesn't seem a great couple of options to me.

I'm glad it does what you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Traxster View Post
    ... I just need to create some simple web documents that I will be using for personal use. ...
    Another option is to use something like ReText: you do the writing in markdown and get a preview in html in a sidepane or you can export to html.
    Currently, I'm using gedit with a markdown preview plugin to see my markdown notes as html.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

Re: package manager

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    Manual downloads are messy. Use the Software Center or Synaptic if you can. Same goes for any other package. That way the package manager can take care of updates and any dependencies there might be. It also makes it easy to uninstall packages after you have tried them. It looks like Ubuntu stopped including Kompozer though.

If you manually download packages to your system it will get messy and may eventuall stop working. It's really best to let the package manager do all that work if you have the option.

Back to the main question, in addition to Kompozer, you might also want to look at Bluefish. It's there in the repository and so will install with a click or two.
    I agree, I always choose the repositories first if tha package is available.

I looked for kompozer in synaptic and in the Ubuntu repository, by typing
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kompozer
    both times package was not found. I can try Bluefish, but I heard that it is not a WYSIWYG editor?
    Last edited by Traxster; August 17th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast