Thread: Updating Firefox flash plugin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Updating Firefox flash plugin

I previously installed the Firefox flash plugin via the Ubuntu software centre. It is now out of date. There is no update via the software centre. So I have downloaded the install_flash_player_11_linux.x86_64 file.

Could someone please give me the exact path to copy the libflashplayer.so file in Ubuntu Studio 12.04?

Beans

Re: Updating Firefox flash plugin

Hello,

ist this a tar gz file, a deb file or which ending?

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flash-plugin/
    Last edited by GwL3eNC; August 16th, 2013 at 08:17 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It is a tar gz file which I have extracted to a folder on my desktop. Running
    sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flash-plugin/ results in message "cp: cannot stat `libflashplayer.so': No such file or directory"

In fact I don't seem to have much luck running any commands in the terminal emulator. They all seem to fail for some reason or other. Is Ubuntu locked down in some way?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

I guess you are not using guest user, so terminal is not "locked", you need to know what you are doing, learn it etc.
    Is your working directory set where the libflashplayer.so file is? and so on..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Adobe is no longer developing Flash for Linux which means the current version will only receive security updates . This is why the Windows version is different . Google provides Pepper Flash with the Chrome browser , So far the version in the software center has proven reliable on all the sites I visit.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/a...flash-on-linux
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

This is the latest Mozilla plugin version for Linux: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...buntu0.12.04.1

sudo cp libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/flash-plugin/
    It's a bad idea just to dump files not belonging to a .deb into /usr/lib
    If, for some reason, one needs to install libflashplayer.so, it would be better off in the ~/.mozilla/plugins or maybe /usr/local/lib in a multiuser setup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Wink Re: Updating Firefox flash plugin

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Adobe is no longer developing Flash for Linux which means the current version will only receive security updates . This is why the Windows version is different . Google provides Pepper Flash with the Chrome browser , So far the version in the software center has proven reliable on all the sites I visit.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/02/a...flash-on-linux
    Excellent point. I'm currently testing Chromium™ 28.0.1500.71 (package: chromium-browser) and Pepperflash™ 11.8.800.115 (package: pepflashplayer-installer; requires PPA:skunk/pepper-flash) alongside the stock Mozilla® Firefox® 23.0 and Adobe® Flash Player® 11.2.202.297 (packages: firefox, adobe-flashplugin), and an ongoing test I am conducting on SingSnap® gives Chromium™ the advantage for certain multimedia-heavy Websites in need of later Adobe® Flash™ versions. (YouTube™, now a Google® service, has shown itself compatible with all subreleases of Flash Player® 11.x.)
    Gigabyte® GA-MA78GM-S2HP (AMD® Athlon 64® X2 5600+ MPU, RS780G NB, SB710 SB)
    Audio: Creative Laboratories® SB0350/SB0250 (PCI 2.2, Creative CA0102-IAT)
    Video: Diamond® 5450PE13G (PCIe x16, 600 MHz AMD® Cedar™ GPU, 1 GiB GDDR3 VRAM)