Thread: Linux and DRM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Linux and DRM

I was thinking, why do Android support DRM and not Linux? Both are open source right?

Is there a logical reason for it?

Beans

Re: Linux and DRM

hi,

i hope because we dont want DRM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by GwL3eNC View Post
    hi,

i hope because we dont want DRM.
    Yeh, but some online streams only offering streams with DRM (Silverlight) and sometimes it would be nice to use it..

Beans

There you are, you need DRM to view that stuff. This is a just attempt of the industry
    to restrict illegal downloads, file sharing and to protect the copyright.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The Android kernel is open source and the Java Runtime Engine (JRE) are open source as is the basic Android interface. Any apps that you load are binary blobs which are proprietary and closed. So if you want DRM content, there is probably a proprietary app that allows that content to stream. In a way, you could run such apps in linux, but it would require running an Android emulator. That requires installing the Android Development Kit.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, it would.. But if a company that deliver stream online made a program meant for linux, could they include DRM support inside that app and then sell it to their customers?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Yes that is possible. Isn't that what Skype does? AFAIK the client is closed source software and the protocol is not open either.
    "I believe humans get a lot done, not because we're smart, but because we have thumbs so we can make coffee." --Flash Rosenberg
    formerly 'known' as Euroman

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, the issue is not a matter of the OS being open source or not but whether a seller of digital content sees much profit in selling to Linux users. Look at it from the point of view of the seller of digital content. Why should they increase their costs paying for a Linux application to be written when the financial returns are not very large?

The same could be said about the makers of computer games. They are in it for the money and not to keep bored Linux users amused. They will target the games to the most widely used OS.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; August 17th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Both Steam and Ubuntu Software Center use forms of DRM. Fluendo DVD Player has legal DVD decryption code, which is DRM.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.