Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battlefield and similar games on Ubuntu

Beans

Battlefield and similar games on Ubuntu

I'm in a rut. I've spent good money on a good computer but, I run ubuntu. So I can't spend the processing power on many things.
    Steam for linux was a step in the right direction, But I'd like a little more.
    Many of my favourite games only run on Windows or Mac. I would use a dual boot, But I don't trust windows at all.
    I've checked the WINE database, And Battlefield 3 is on there. But, It's rating is "Garbage".
    And, I wouldn't entirely mind paying for windows 7, If it enabled playing of any game I chose.

So, I'm wondering. I've got several options.
    Run it in a VirtualBox
    Run a dual boot (Unsafe, I wouldn't prefer this)
    Try out PlayOnLinux or WINE, But the database said that Battlefield 3 was "Garbage"

Any other suggestions, Or help on what to do would be much appreciated.
    I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Battlefield and similar games on Ubuntu

Wine is probably what I would recommend for any Windows-only game. Unfortunately, Wine is kinda dinky.

I'm not sure what else to suggest when it comes to getting a game to run, but if you really wanted to support Linux you could learn C, C++, or Python and help fix bugs. I mean, it won't run Battlefield, but it would be good in the long run if you were interested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For the sake of Linux-games-ecosystem-improvement, I'd not recommend dual-booting. For the sake of a full BF3-experience, I'd recommend dual-booting.

But before that, King Dudes suggestion about Wine might profit. But it'll probably not work. Based on this: http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibi...m=1;msg=122869
    This is my signature

Beans

If there is a way, To dual boot, But still keep windows seperate, Because I know how dodgy it can be, Then I'd take that.
    I like VirtualBox because it keeps it contained and doesn't let it take over your hard drive.

King Dude:
    I'm learning to Program in C++. But WINE has a whole lot of bugs. And if somethings designed, On windows, For windows, Then it can be quite hard to replicate on another OS.
    Dual boot would be perfect, But only if I can keep my Ubuntu safe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's preferable to install Windows first, then Ubuntu. But it's possible to the other way around, event though it's a wee bit more complicated.

Once you got both systems installed, on separate partitions that is, they won't bother each other.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You may have some severe problems with Windows 7; mine is currently not recognizing the wireless mouse OR the wired mouse, which Ubuntu recognizes perfectly.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Meze0nix View Post
    If there is a way, To dual boot, But still keep windows seperate, Because I know how dodgy it can be,
    what do you mean? windows is separated in dual boot. so unless you intend to pickup a rootkit (which work on all OS) then any viruses you plan to get there wont' come to linux. just reformat that parittion and reinstall.

furthermore with propper setup you shouldn't get any viruses. especially if you add a descent free antivirus. i mean we have thousands of mashcines at work all windows and no virus/malware on them.

besides if you don't plan to connect anywhere else but to BF servers what are the chances of getting malware through them? i would say preeety small. use a firewall and set it up so that only internet connection can be for battlefield server.

i've been running windows at home (still on XP). i only got a nasty virus/malware once on win98. ever since it's been more or less smooth. just avoid browsing in windows - that the most likely attack vector.

and yes to play windows games windows is the choice of OS. i plan to dualboot later on as i play BF2 on winXP among plenty of other oldish windows games.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Meze0nix View Post
    If there is a way, To dual boot, But still keep windows seperate, Because I know how dodgy it can be, Then I'd take that.
    I like VirtualBox because it keeps it contained and doesn't let it take over your hard drive.

King Dude:
    I'm learning to Program in C++. But WINE has a whole lot of bugs. And if somethings designed, On windows, For windows, Then it can be quite hard to replicate on another OS.
    Dual boot would be perfect, But only if I can keep my Ubuntu safe.
    Yes, Wine has a lot of bugs, but the more people who help fix those bugs the better. Also, if you'd like to dual boot, I suggest installing Windows on a separate hard drive so that Windows does not screw with Ubuntu in any way. I dual boot on my desktop (Windows 8 for my father, Ubuntu for myself) and so far I have not had any problems.

By the way, you may be interested in this link:
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he...aphics-drivers
    Last edited by King Dude; August 17th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.

Beans

Thanks a lot guys.
    Information on free antivirus and safety record for it would be appreciated.

It just really annoyed me that the "Humble origin bundle" was only for windows. Because many of those games were very good.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

avira antivirus and avast are descent. i use avira combined with free comodo firewall (i disable comodos antivirus since it performed worse on test than avira). i do not allow all applicaitons to connect to internet but only a few. additionally i allow access to computer via router only for a couple of games and nothing else. so there is two firewalls - one on router and one on computer. anyway no antivirus is perfect. i see their efficiency fluctuate with different version. avira is not the best but it is descent for a free one according to tests and doesn't take a lot of system resoruces. the free verison doesn't have some additional features, but as i said some features are provided with comodo. well so far so good.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast