Thread: Add programs to the Launcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Add programs to the Launcher

Hello everyone,

I've just started using my PC to control a ShapeOko CNC router and I am also using various Free/Open software to run it.

So Inkscape and FreeCAD both add themselves to the launcher (or I could click and add them) no worries and I can use them fine.

However there are two other tools I use, pycam and UniversalGCodeSender that I want to add to the launcher as well.

However when I right click on the file and add it to the launcher, the icon on the launcher won't start the application.

The files and their locations in my file system are:

bradley/home/pycam-0.5.1/pycam
    bradley/home/UniversalGCoseSender/start.sh

So pycam is a python exicutable and the start.sh is a shell script, and when you click on either of them they come up with a "do you want to run n or display its contents" dialogue box where you click "run" and away it goes.

In dos or windows I would have had to add them to the path file (or something - really delving back through the memories here) but I don't know how to do the same thing in Linux.

Can someone point me to the correct wiki or tutorial please?

Cheers,

Brad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Add programs to the Launcher

You can't put just any ole file in the launcher.
    You'll need to make a .desktop file.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Un...ndDesktopFiles

When you've done that, then you can move the newly made icon into the launcher.

Quick tip: Most application launchers are in the system folder /usr/share/applications, but you can put them in the local user's home folder
    location /home/user/.local/share/applications.
    Doing so will let you avoid having to run as root.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    ... you can put them in the local user's home folder
    location /home/user/.local/share/applications.
    Doing so will let you avoid having to run as root.
    One other possible advantage is that the .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications will remain unchanged even if there's an update of the software. For example, I like to edit the .desktop file for my browser to suit my needs but an update would give me a brand new .desktop file (without my edits). Having the .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications prevents that.

Of course, there's always a flip side: some necessary change to a .desktop file may be part of an update and such a change won't be automatically reflected in ~/.local/share/applications. But I'm willing to chance it for the convenience.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks deadflowr, I read the help files you linked to but I am still having problems, in that neither of the .desktop files I created work!

Since I cannot get the website to accept either of the files for upload, here is the text from each file:

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Name=PyCam
    Comment=Make NC files from STL files
    Exec=/home/pycam-0.5.1/pycam
    Icon=/home/
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Utility;Application;
    and

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=1.0
    Name=UniversalGCodeSender
    Comment=Send GCode (NC) files to GrblShield over USB
    Exec=/home/UniversalGCodeSender/start.sh
    Icon=/home/
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Utility;Application;
    when I use the "desktop-file-validate" utility on them I get the following error messages:

pycam.desktop: error: value "/home/" for key "Icon" in group "Desktop Entry" is an absolute path to a directory, instead of being an absolute path to an icon or an icon name
    pycam.desktop: warning: value "Utility;Application;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" contains a deprecated value "Application"

and

UniversalGCodeSender.desktop: error: value "/home/" for key "Icon" in group "Desktop Entry" is an absolute path to a directory, instead of being an absolute path to an icon or an icon name
    UniversalGCodeSender.desktop: warning: value "Utility;Application;" for key "Categories" in group "Desktop Entry" contains a deprecated value "Application"

since there is no icon for either of them I am not surprised about the first error in each one, but I don't know if the second error in each (about the depreciated value "Application") is important.

I also tried both files with terminal=true but when I do that I get another error message as follows:

There was an error creating the child process for this terminal
    Failed to execute child process "/home/pycam-0.5.1/pycam" (No such file or directory)

and I know there is a "pycam" in that directory because when I go there and click on it, it runs!

any ideas what I've done wrong?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Brad wilkinson View Post
    any ideas what I've done wrong?
    The first thing you did wrong: Making things difficult for yourself by deciding to manually create a .desktop file! There's an easy GUI way mentioned on that page. Go to the Dash and type in "Main Menu" and use that program to create a menu item, which behind-the-scenes is actually a .desktop file. The menu item will be available in the Dash and you can drag it from the Dash to the Launcher.

The second thing you did wrong: Exec=/home/pycam-0.5.1/pycam It should actually be something like: /home/brad/pycam-0.5.1/pycam

(assuming your username is "brad")

/home is not your home directory, it's the folder that contains everybody's home directories.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Alacarte is not installed by default and needs to be installed to have the main menu application . Those who have installed Classic or the Gnome shell will have this application. Alacarte installs the classic gnome panel as a recommended dependency.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install alacarte
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ok, got it.

thanks 3rdalbum it was the path to the directory I had wrong.

I'm gonna blame it on going ~8 months without using a Linux PC...........

Beans

The problem with installing alacarte is that it hauls with it the entire gnome-fallback desktops and all attendant packages, which you don't want.

Simple procedure:

1. in a terminal:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-panel
    DO NOT run gnome-panel after it installs. This will install strictly what you need to proceed further.

Code:
    sudo gnome-desktop-item-edit /usr/share/applications/ --create-new
    Whoa! What just happened? You get the good-old dependable, pretty, intuitive GUI tool to set up a new launcher, that your great-aunt Edna could handle. See thumbnail below.

3. Pick application-type from the dropdown (make sure to select "in terminal" for anything that needs to run in a terminal, otherwise leave the default "Application" selected), enter a name, a valid executable name, pick an icon, comment is optional, and you're done, this tool just created a new myapplication.desktop file for you in /usr/share/applications/

4. Start the dash, and type myapplication (whatever you used for the NAME field in step #3 above). Drag/drop the icon you set in step #3 above on the launcher.

5. Beer (if you're over 21).

Credit: http://www.howopensource.com/2012/10...-ubuntu-12-10/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by r_avital; August 17th, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

thankyou r_atival!!!!

thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!!!