Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Login Loop

Beans

Login Loop

I have used Mythbuntu for at least 5 years now with very few problems. I am running 12.04 and everything was running very slow so I rebooted the computer (runs both front and back end). I came to the general login screen and entered my password and after a few seconds the screen turned blank, then a few seconds of that, then back to the login screen. I can login as guest, but I have no permissions to do anything (like start the front end). I don't know all that much about ubuntu, so please reply as though I know very little. Thank you in advance for your help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Login Loop

Does this seem like what is going on....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2167760

I just had a log-in loop issue myself, I solved it after reading this...

http://askubuntu.com/questions/14613...login-as-guest
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

I tried the solution listed in the second thread. When I tried to login as user what do I type. On my main login screen it says JC-Myth under the icon of the computer. The user is JC (my initials). I tried both of those as the user and it told me the password was incorrect. I know the password was correct.

Beans

OK, tried again with different results. I am not sure if I got to the home user, but it rebooted at sudo reboot. and then it did the same as before. login loop

Beans

Does the partition have enough available space on it? Check with -
    Code:
    df -h
    You may try logging into one of the virtual consoles with Ctrl+Alt+F1 to run above command. Alternatively, you may try the recovery mode or a live session.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Alright I may have something useful to someone who knows what they are doing. I have to type this in as I am on a laptop and the system is on a desktop and I'm not sure how to transfer this any other way. I scrolled down and tried the next solution on the second thread. I typed sudo apt-get install --reinstall xorg then it asked for my password and accepted it. the following is what appeared: (I think this is correct, but I cannot see the first character, something with the display on the TV, it works fine when I am in Ubuntu I used my best guess or put a question mark)
    Reading package lists... Done
    building dependency tree
    reading state information... Done
    you might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    the following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ?libvlccore5 : Depends: vlc-data (= 2.0.8-0ununtu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-0ubuntu0.?.04.1 is to be installed
    ?vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.8-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 is to be installed
    ?vlc-plugin-notify : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.8-0ununtu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-ubuntu0-12.04.1 is to be installed
    ?vlc-plugin-pulse : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.8-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 is to be installed
    : Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Are you comfortable with terminal??

If so, have you tried using the terminal in a live boot CD or USB, mount your Hard Drive, navigate to /home/"user"/ and then delete the hidden .Xauthority file in your home directory?

If you use an Ubuntu live CD/USB you will probably have to navigate to the home directory on the Linux partition.

Once you are in the correct directory, use the terminal command...

Code:
    sudo rm -rvf ./.Xauthority
    It should provide a verbose output of "removed './.Xauthority'" if successful.

Otherwise you can just use Puppy Linux (which runs in root), mount the harddrive (by clicking on the Hardrive's Icon on the Desktop), and navigate to the home folder using GUI. You can then "show hidden folders" and then delete the .Xauthority file.

Otherwise you will need to wait for someone else's help with this issue. Those are the only ways I know how do it.

Beans

typed in df -h and got:
    filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    dev/sda1 12G 11G 0 100% /
    dev 491M 4.0K 491M 1% /dev
    mpfs 201M 1.1M 200M 1% /run
    one 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    one 501M 0 501M 0% /run/shm
    overflow 1.0M 244K 780K 24% /tmp
    dev/sda6 920G 849G 71G 93% /var/lib

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jim_collins2 View Post
    Alright I may have something useful to someone who knows what they are doing. I have to type this in as I am on a laptop and the system is on a desktop and I'm not sure how to transfer this any other way. I scrolled down and tried the next solution on the second thread. I typed sudo apt-get install --reinstall xorg then it asked for my password and accepted it. the following is what appeared: (I think this is correct, but I cannot see the first character, something with the display on the TV, it works fine when I am in Ubuntu I used my best guess or put a question mark)
    Reading package lists... Done
    building dependency tree
    reading state information... Done
    you might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
    the following packages have unmet dependencies:
    ?libvlccore5 : Depends: vlc-data (= 2.0.8-0ununtu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-0ubuntu0.?.04.1 is to be installed
    ?vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.8-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 is to be installed
    ?vlc-plugin-notify : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.8-0ununtu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-ubuntu0-12.04.1 is to be installed
    ?vlc-plugin-pulse : Depends: vlc-nox (= 2.0.8-0ubuntu0.12.04.1) but 2.0.5-0ubuntu0.12.04.1 is to be installed
    : Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).

Are you logged in as Guest doing this???

Beans

I cic Ctrl+Alt+F1 and got a prompt. To do that I was asked for a password that seemed to work (I only use one password for not financial things). So I was in the proper user.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast