Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Login Loop

Beans

Re: Login Loop

thanks for your help - one last question - ou can reply tomorrow if you wish. can i save my recordings and do a clean install?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jim_collins2 View Post
    thanks for your help - one last question - ou can reply tomorrow if you wish. can i save my recordings and do a clean install?
    Yes you can do so, and is probably a good idea if you can do it easily.

Just curious though, could you boot into recovery mode in the installed Ubuntu? I believe purging the older kernels from there should also be a piece of cake, although I can't say at this point what else (if) may be needed to fix the sudoers gid issue that you encountered yesterday.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans

I agree with varunendra, it should be straightforward to boot into the recovery console (or a virtual terminal via Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc) and purge old kernels from there. You may need to manually delete a couple first to have enough headroom even to run apt-get, but that's not really a showstopper - I've done it and it doesn't seem to break anything (you can rm the actual initrd.img-2.x.x files and then run 'apt-get purge' after to update the package management system - see http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...7#post12424317 for example)

From the recovery root shell you will need to remember to remount the root filesystem with read-write permissions before you do anything

Code:
    # mount -o remount,rw /
    then navigate to /boot and do what you need to do. This will probably get you back up and running quicker than having to back up and restore many GB of recordings.

The inability to setgid is a normal feature of the guest account, I think:

Code:
    guest-R9xkPT@lap-t61p:~$ sudo ls /root
    sudo: unable to change to sudoers gid: Operation not permitted
    sudo: setresuid() [0, 0, 0] -> [122, -1, -1]: Operation not permitted
    guest-R9xkPT@lap-t61p:~$ 
    guest-R9xkPT@lap-t61p:~$ su steeldriver
    Password: 
    setgid: Operation not permitted
    Last edited by steeldriver; August 16th, 2013 at 12:26 PM.

Beans

I am going to go out for lunch in a few hours to buy a 4TB hard drive (my family pushes the limit of the 1TB drive). I was thinking of starting new with the new hard drive and then once that is working transferring the recordings from the old hard drive to the new one. I have a couple newbie questions. Is Ubuntu and Mythbuntu the same? I have found the Ubuntu download, but is that what I want? As you can see I am able to use Puppy Linux to view the files in the directory. Would you use that to try to delete individual files? I don't know why I was unable to delete the kernels previously. I have not tried everything in the post that was recently posted as I am at work - would you suggest I do that first. I'm looking for the easiest way. My goal is to have the 4TB drive in sooner or later. Maybe get the current drive working correctly then mirror the drive and make partition changes??? If I go that route can I change the partition sizes afterwards? Can I mirror a 4TB from a 1TB drive? I know there were many many questions here - I'm just looking for your suggestions. Thanks again for your help. I think I may purchase Linux for dummies as well. It never hurts to be more educated.

Beans

I will read the post on how to boot into the recovery console and try that first.

Beans

I just read the thread. If I read this correctly I can type in the following commands:
    $ sudo rm /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
    $ sudo apt-get remove --purge linux-image-3.2.0-33-generic-pae
    then it should calculate how much this will free and ask me if I wish to proceed. This may/should free up enough memory to login correctly. Then later in the thread is shows how to remove old kernels. Do you recommend the last post in that thread? Does it remove all old kernels?

Beans

OK, so I really screwed it up! I figured I would start over. I purchased the 4TB drive and was going to install mythbuntu onto that drive, then when it was working correctly I was going to copy the stored recordings from my old 1TB drive to the new one. So I was installing the new drive and the heat sink and fan from the processor was n the way so I had to pull that assembly out. Got the drives back in and then when I put the processor back in I bent a couple pins. While straightening them one broke! So Ebay, and a few bucks later the new processor should be here in a couple days. I also ordered more RAM memory while I was shopping. SO thank you all again and I will update you on my progress. I was quite frustrated to say the least. I am currently downloading mythbuntu-12.04-2. Will try to install that to the new drive. Is there anything I need to do prior to installation? I haven't had to install it for 5 years. I have HD HomeRun tuners and a decent graphics card, but may upgrade that soon as well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions and thanks again for all the previous help.

Beans
    Hidden!

I hope you remembered to get thermal paste as well.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

I am grabbing it here at work - we have in in abundance - thanks.

Beans

I am grabbing it here at work - we have in in abundance - thanks.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast