Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Login Loop

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Login Loop

At this point, when you try to log-in normally, are you getting an Incorrect Password error or does it try to log-in but spit you back out to the log in screen after a couple seconds?

Also I wouldn't be trying to sudo apt-get install --reinstall xorg at this point.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 15th, 2013 at 05:02 AM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans

it spits me back to the login screen. i did login as guest, create another user, (it asked me for the password for the main user), then tried logging in as the new user and got the same result ( for the new user I said do not ask for password on login). Still looped back to the login page.

Beans

when I checked the memory it seemed that the first directory was full. Could that do it? And if so, how can I make room?

Beans
    Hidden!

I highly suggest using a live boot CD/USB of some sort and verify if you actually deleted the.Xauthority file in your home directory.

Beans

I'll have to make one. do you have the best link that I can try?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hold on guys, the partition is full, deleting .Xauthority file, I suspect, isn't going to fix anything until this is resolved first (and most probably this is the only thing that needs to be resolved) -
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_collins2 View Post
    typed in df -h and got:
    Code:
    filesystem       Size     Used   Avail   Use%  Mounted on
    dev/sda1        12G      11G        0    100%  /
    <snip>
    dev/sda6        920G     849G      71G   93% /var/lib
    Use a live CD/USB to boot and see what files you can move/delete from your Home directory to make room in the root partition (/).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Beans
    Hidden!

when I checked the memory it seemed that the first directory was full. Could that do it? And if so, how can I make room?

I'm not sure if I would trust that reading if it was run within a virtual terminal. Unless you specifically remember only assigning yourself a 12G partition during install. Do you dual boot, or did you install Ubuntu to the entire hard drive?

Beans
    Hidden!

I'll have to make one. do you have the best link that I can try?
    I personally find Puppy to be the easiest to use for this kind of stuff. You can of course use the same media you used to install Ubuntu and run as a live session. But then you will have to deal with sudo user stuff to get permission to delete files. Be careful though, without the sudo protection you can easily delete anything on your hard drive, even the stuff you shouldn't (treat it like windows).
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; August 15th, 2013 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

I believe the partition is full also. I ran sudo 'apt-get -f install' and it seemed to be working, but then I got the message can't write to /var/cache/man/3346: No space left on device errors were encountered while processing:

So I need to boot from a CD or flash drive, navigate to this directory, delete things? Can you tell me what in that directory should not be deleted? Also to prevent this from happening again, can I change the size of that partition?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Petro Dawg View Post
    I'm not sure if I would trust that reading if it was run within a virtual terminal.
    Command outputs in a virtual terminal are no less or more reliable than what you get in the normal terminal (gnome-terminal) in the GUI.

So I need to boot from a CD or flash drive, navigate to this directory, delete things?
    Recommended ^ but not necessary. You may try deleting thing from terminal. For starters, try -
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    PS:
    I can help, but I am a very slow typist and my connection is slow too (read - super slow, snail pace etc.). I can't win the blitz race you guys are putting here
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags
    Am I not replying you? Perhaps this is why.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast